compact rifle

shooterpunk2

Hey guys, I've been thinking lately about a compact rifle such as the ruger compact, or browning micro hunter. Have any of you used these rifles much? I think these rifles would be great to carry around the mountainsespecially since more often than not my shooting ranges are about 150 yards and less. But i still want to be able to shoot out to 400 yards or so if the shot presented itself. I've thinking about either the 7mm-08 or .308 cuz i do hunt elk as well. Do the velocities really suffer in these shorter barrels? Also I noticed that the Tikka t3 weighs about the same as these but is a normal sized rifle, so i have also considered that too. So i guess my question is about the velocity and if people are getting decent accuracy and if its worth the loss of velocity for a handier rifle? Thanks fellas!

I had one in 7-08, it was pretty accurate. If you're a big guy, it will probably be too small for you. I think you'll be happier with a full size rifle, even if it weighs a pound or two more.

get an Encore or handi-rifle. very short and compact. if you want a bolt action, just build a bullpup. do a search for 338/300 RUM Bullpup. mine has a 29" barrel and brake with the entire rifle only 40" long.

Last edited:
Im not a very big guy, 5'8" 185lbs. But i have been looking at the tikkas as well becuase they are very light too. True with the encore and handi being compact as well, I didnt really think about it, thanks guys!

Dave Wilson's Bullpup...

332P1010009-med2.jpg

Shooterpunk2

Looks like you have a lot to think about so I'll just add to the list.

Look at the Remingtion Model 7 laminate in 7/08.

The 7/08 does well with a short barrel 18" to 20" and has better
balistics than the 308 win parent case.In fact the 308 was designed
around a 20" barrel for the military.

My 7/08 has a 20" barrel and my Varget load with the 120gr nbt has
a velocity of 3158 ft/sec.

In my opinion the SAUM's and WSM's need more barrel because of the
amount of powder 70grs as apposed to 45grs for the 7/08.

I have killed deer beyond 500yrds and hogs beyond 600yrds with the 7/08
and for Elk size animals I would use the 160gr accubond .

Just my 2 cents
J E CUSTOM

Ive looked at the model sevens, but im reall not a huge remington fan. but we will see cuz they are nice.

I'll add something else to look at. I got a Rem 700 youth rifle in 7-08. It's a 20"bbl and I was amazed at how accurate it was out of the box. I haven't had time to do much load development with it yet, but it really likes the 120 Barnes TSX bullet. I think I'll be able to get 2900+ out of it. Of the first 5 bullets I shot 4 were at or under moa.

I'm a lefty so there aren't many choices for small compact rifles for me. This one is a jewel.

My lightweight elk rifle is a custom rem 700 in 340wby. it wears a 24" #2 lilja barrel. it weighs right at 7lbs with a normal 3-10 or 4-12 scope. i wouldn't call it compact but it carries all day long and it is sub moa out to 700 yds resting on a pack or bipod. sounds like you like the smaller calibers but I like the .338 class for elk. You could do a light .338 win mag and be pretty good off. I'm 5 8 as well and don't care for the compact rifles, i can't shoot them well. Good luck

I do like the larger calibers too, but I just don't know how i would like the recoil of a .338 mag in a light rifle like a tikka. the hardest kicking rifle ive shot is a .30-06 i think. Although I have thought about that because really, i primarily elk hunt.

Last edited:
I was looking for a light, compact rifle awhile back. After searching for several months I settled on an Encore. I was unsure about a single-shot rifle at first, but I shoot it really well. Plus you can still get a 24" barrel with rifles overall length at 40". I now have a couple barrels for mine, and use it for almost all of my hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts