What height rings for Tikka T3x Compact Tactical Rifle

azhunter5555

I have a Tikka T3x Compact Tactical Rifle and I just ordered a 20MOA picatinny rail from mountain tactical. I will be putting on a Sightron III 6-24x50 LRFFP/MOA scope. I am thinking about buying either Badger or Seekins scope rings. Will I need low rings? Gun is for hunting. Thanks for your help.

Mine has the MT 20moa base with medium Seekins rings, scope is swfa 5-20×50 and barrel is light palma.
20161104_220521_zpso3bnkpmn.jpg

I used Vortex low rings (made by seekins) for my CTR. I have a Nightforce SHV F1 on my scope. Stock picatinny rail is still on it.

if you're using a 50mm objective, and a 20moa rail, best be going with med rings. I run the 30mm vortex precision rings, steiner gs3 4-20x50 on my 25-06 with heavy varmint contour barrel and 20moa MT rail, and med gets me to just over the barrel. If I'd gone with lows I'd be touching.

Good Morning, azhunter5555,

I like bosstom's recommendation. I like my scopes' objectives to be mounted as close to barrels as possible. This is the primary reason I don't own large objective scopes. With scopes mounted low on rifles, my eye is in line with eyepieces when I shoulder my rifles.

Of course, what works for me might not work for you. My advice is to try different rings until you find the perfect height for you.

As an aside, I own primarily Leupold scopes. After over 40 years of big game hunting, I've come to the conclusion that not much has improved since the Vari-X II 3x9x40 was introduced. That used to be the gold standard of hunting scopes. With that out of the way, my favorite scope is my 25+ year-old Vari-X II 4x12x44 AO. But I'd never opine that it's better than the Vari-X II 3x9. It's just merely my opinion. I do like my Vari-X III's and VX-3's, but I can't say that they're better than the Vari-X II series, assuming, of course, that the criteria are reliability, fog proof, eye relief, and ease of acquiring targets.

Marketers can be ingenious at separating us from our money. This is especially true in fishing. It has been said that tackle manufacturers make tackle to catch fishermen, not fish.

When I hear scope salesmen slinging, "...light gathering," I know he's selling sizzle, not steak. Scopes can't gather light.

I think there are two things one should consider when it comes to scope height. The first is, the closer to the bore, the better, in my opinion. Then, to determine that, it should be mounted at a height whereby one can and will comfortably place their cheek weld without physically straining to match their hold to the scope height. It always seems this point is missed when people are told to mount as low as the front bell will allow. The scope height should match your cheek weld and not the other way around. This is not a big concern when going higher if one assumes an adjustable cheek rest.

It looks like it has a raised comb. Following BigSky! advice...put quarters or washers on the rail until you have a good clearance and cheek weld. Measure your stack and add 1/2 the scope diameter and order rings you find that are the closest to your measurements.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.