Christensen or Sendero 7 mm rem mag

The two guns you mentioned are apples and oranges...one is a lightweight hunter the other is a heavy rifle.

What type of rifle are you looking for?

Im looking for a rifle to take out west this fall for antelope and mule deer and elk/moose in the future. It will be primarily a hunting rifle with a few trips to the range per year. I'm interested in a Long range rifle but being a bow hunter from NY 30 yds is long to me!?

I agree that the two rifles are vastly different. My hunting partner has a Christensen, and I have a Sendero. We each have others too, but I'm familiar with both and have shot both a fair amount.

Personally I'd aim for something in between. As already noted the Christensen can be difficult to shoot longer ranges because it is so lightweight. I think you would find it a challenge. The Sendero, as you note, is relatively heavy which makes it much easier to shoot longer range but a problem to carry.

My thoughts -

First, antelope to moose is a huge difference in size. For antelope and mule deer you could do extremely well with anything from a 243 to a 280AI, with very manageable recoil. I would frankly buy a rifle for this fall, and worry about larger animals at a later date. Buy one that you can shoot a fair amount without worrying about recoil, and start practicing. If you've not been West to hunt you will quickly find out that 500 yards away looks like it's "right there."

Second, you will likely want a 30 or 338 caliber for elk and moose, but I'm not sure you want to have those for this fall. At least, most of us reach for different rifles when dividing up the 4 animals you mentioned.

Third, if you've not shot beyond 100 yards I would look at some of the excellent moderate priced production rifles to start, and go from there. Weatherby Vanguard, Tikka T3, Savage 110, Bergara B-14; these are all great rifles that will shoot better than you can out to 500-600 yards. Use the spare money for better optics and more practice ammo, as well as a wind meter and good range finder.

Fourth, find a place to shoot increasingly longer distances and visit it frequently. I had to look hard and be creative to find 500 yards near me, but did it and can hit targets with my Vanguards, Sendero and others without a problem.

Good luck!

I have a sendero sf2 in 7mm Remington I had a bit of work done to it and I love the outcome. Shot 3.85 in group at 800 and have popped milk jugs at 1350. I would say get a rifle and make it your own...

Attachments

• 20150503_065707-1.jpg
    20150503_065707-1.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 101
How bout' neither !!! Take and old 700 action for work...new barrel, great chamber cut..Jewell trigger and new stock...you'll further ahead and save tons of cash !

I helped a friend make a load for his Christensen arms rifle. I called to ask about the action screws getting loose and asked the person who took my call if it was bedded. He said yes.

This problem continued. I had to periodically tighten the screws to maintain accuracy. I called a second time and this guy, who knew what he was talking about, first asked what I was shooting. I said handloads. The next thing out of his mouth was "that voids the warranty"!!! I laughed at him. Told him I was a seasoned handloader, come on void the warranty?????. Once we got past that issue I asked him if it was bedded and he said NO. I told him of the loosening screws which was caused by compression of the stock. He suggested I tighten the action screws tighter and tighter while shooting till they didn't loosen anymore!!! I got past the torque of my Fat wrench of 65 in/lb and it finally held. Told owner to get it pillar bedded after his upcoming hunt.

This happened last fall. Seems to me this is a very expensive rifle to not have been bedded at the factory!!!!!!

The rifle WAS accurate but geez what a PITA.

I agree that the two rifles are vastly different. My hunting partner has a Christensen, and I have a Sendero. We each have others too, but I'm familiar with both and have shot both a fair amount.

Personally I'd aim for something in between. As already noted the Christensen can be difficult to shoot longer ranges because it is so lightweight. I think you would find it a challenge. The Sendero, as you note, is relatively heavy which makes it much easier to shoot longer range but a problem to carry.

My thoughts -

First, antelope to moose is a huge difference in size. For antelope and mule deer you could do extremely well with anything from a 243 to a 280AI, with very manageable recoil. I would frankly buy a rifle for this fall, and worry about larger animals at a later date. Buy one that you can shoot a fair amount without worrying about recoil, and start practicing. If you've not been West to hunt you will quickly find out that 500 yards away looks like it's "right there."

Second, you will likely want a 30 or 338 caliber for elk and moose, but I'm not sure you want to have those for this fall. At least, most of us reach for different rifles when dividing up the 4 animals you mentioned.

Third, if you've not shot beyond 100 yards I would look at some of the excellent moderate priced production rifles to start, and go from there. Weatherby Vanguard, Tikka T3, Savage 110, Bergara B-14; these are all great rifles that will shoot better than you can out to 500-600 yards. Use the spare money for better optics and more practice ammo, as well as a wind meter and good range finder.

Fourth, find a place to shoot increasingly longer distances and visit it frequently. I had to look hard and be creative to find 500 yards near me, but did it and can hit targets with my Vanguards, Sendero and others without a problem.

Good luck!

Thanks for the great suggestions, I do have several other rifles in various calibers. Including a 300 win mag that I would use if I was going for larger animals. Living and hunting in south central NY I rarely shoot deer over 100 yds so this out west thing is totally new to me. I guess I'm looking for an excuse to buy/build a new rifle for the trip.
I figured that 7mm rem mag was capable for all the animals I mentioned.

Thanks for the great suggestions, I do have several other rifles in various calibers. Including a 300 win mag that I would use if I was going for larger animals. Living and hunting in south central NY I rarely shoot deer over 100 yds so this out west thing is totally new to me. I guess I'm looking for an excuse to buy/build a new rifle for the trip.

It is, a lot of folks just aren't 7mm fans, and most people let their personal bias form their opinions. I'd be willing to say most all people are this way, at least to a point.

I am not an expert at anything, but here is my personal biased opinion... :cool:

I have alot of different calibers from .17 HMR to a .45-70, but my own personal bias lies with the 7mm calibers being my favorites. Nothing wrong with the big .30's...I have several. Nothing wrong with the .22-.25 cals either, I have several as well. I don't care for the .27 cal (owning so many 7mm's, the .27 cal is kind of pointless for me), and I don't think I'll own another .338 again, it's just entirely too overkill for anything and everything around here, which is why I don't hunt with my .45-70 Sharps.

But for what you mentioned, the 7mm would be the starting point for calibers. I have not killed an elk, or a moose, but have read that the most popular hunting caliber in Alaska is the .223 (don't know if that's true, it's just what I've read). Which leads me to believe that they are just like a deer...When used inside of its effective distance, shot placement is more important than caliber diameter and bullet weight, and no matter how big your caliber is, every reaction is different, and some will run, and some will drop, and you never know which one it will be until you drop the hammer...

My thoughts are, shoot what you want, and get comfortable with it. Shooting at 4-500 yards is not difficult, but for someone who is very inexperienced, taking a 300 yard shot might seem like a daunting task. You need to practice ALOT at the distances you plan on shooting, especially with that same rifle you plan on hunting with.

Since you are just looking for the pleasure of buying/building a new rifle, maybe that is the answer for you then.

That is, if you have rifles already that you can use for the job, then maybe use those for the moment, and use the fact that you have the luxury of time and tools to indulge in building up exactly what you want.

It sounds like the purchasing process and acquiring something new that you like is a big part of the draw, so in that case....maybe go custom from the start and get it just right for you.

The great thing will be the fun in doing it and the knowledge that you got the precise tool for your vision.

Plus you can better control the weight and stock fit and find the right balance for you. For example, my build dictates a different than average stock than what's in vogue on the market.

I also wanted a heavier than sporter barrel, but not so heavy as a Sendero or whatever. Something in the middle.

I ultimately got most, but not all, of what I wanted in an off the shelf gun, but my options were limited somewhat so I had to accept a few compromises.

I came very close to 'perfect', but if I had had the time and money for a custom route, I could have had it exactly. As you have rifles you can use in the meantime, sounds like you have the opportunity to do just that.

So were I you, think I'd grab the action I like best, pick the stock that fits best, trigger, barrel (contour can really change the weight and feel), finish etc. And sit back and wait knowing you're getting your own vision just the way you like it.

Since you are just looking for the pleasure of buying/building a new rifle, maybe that is the answer for you then.

That is, if you have rifles already that you can use for the job, then maybe use those for the moment, and use the fact that you have the luxury of time and tools to indulge in building up exactly what you want.

It sounds like the purchasing process and acquiring something new that you like is a big part of the draw, so in that case....maybe go custom from the start and get it just right for you.

The great thing will be the fun in doing it and the knowledge that you got the precise tool for your vision.

Plus you can better control the weight and stock fit and find the right balance for you. For example, my build dictates a different than average stock than what's in vogue on the market.

I also wanted a heavier than sporter barrel, but not so heavy as a Sendero or whatever. Something in the middle.

I ultimately got most, but not all, of what I wanted in an off the shelf gun, but my options were limited somewhat so I had to accept a few compromises.

I came very close to 'perfect', but if I had had the time and money for a custom route, I could have had it exactly. As you have rifles you can use in the meantime, sounds like you have the opportunity to do just that.

So were I you, think I'd grab the action I like best, pick the stock that fits best, trigger, barrel (contour can really change the weight and feel), finish etc. And sit back and wait knowing you're getting your own vision just the way you like it.

Very well said, I do think that searching for the right gun or build is just as fun as the hunt. I have a few lines out on custom builds so ill see what the time frame is on those and decide from there. I did look into Cooper and they seem nice I just dont know enough about them yet.

I have never owned one, and it's been a long time since I have looked into them, so maybe it's changed, but from what I heard long ago, Cooper is expensive but awesome.

One of my friends usto have one of their top end 22's. It was an absolute work of art. So beautiful. He sold it because it was worth tons and he wanted some other stuff and did not need a 22 like that, but man, it was beautiful and shot very nicely.

That said, my Kimber 82 and, now 2 CZ 455's, kept up with it in accuracy. But not in looks, that's for sure!

I have never owned one, and it's been a long time since I have looked into them, so maybe it's changed, but from what I heard long ago, Cooper is expensive but awesome.

One of my friends usto have one of their top end 22's. It was an absolute work of art. So beautiful. He sold it because it was worth tons and he wanted some other stuff and did not need a 22 like that, but man, it was beautiful and shot very nicely.

That said, my Kimber 82 and, now 2 CZ 455's, kept up with it in accuracy. But not in looks, that's for sure!

My local shop has sold Coopers for a decade. Cooper sends a laminated target shot at their test facility by THAT particular rifle before it is packaged and shipped-out, as their way of an accuracy guarantee. For the money, I would buy a Cooper over any other "custom" factory rifle, like a Kimber or Accumark.

Yeah, that's better than any guarantee. Weatherby does that with their RC guns, and Hill Country Rifles down here by me does the same with their 'off the shelf' guns that they keep in stock.

Shoot, most, but not all, of the gunsmiths that I talked to about building up a rifle did not even do that, so I think that's pretty cool.

UPDATE
I decided to take my Ruger M77 mk ii on the trip, I bought a hs precision stock and a spec tech trigger for it. I really like the way the stock makes the gun feel. Now as soon as I get my scope on I'll take it to the range and see how it does.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.