Cheap high-power scope

the big greasy

Looking for a scope for my .223 and shooting to distances of 800 yard targets. I know that more money is better but I'm after a scope around 200/400 dollars. I'm not after the clearest and all that stuff as I'm not shooting at animals ever. Just need enough turret elevation mounted on a 20 moa rail. Thank you.

In that price range I'd get an Arken EP5. It's $50 more than the high end of your price range. They track well, the turrets are great, glass is okay for the price. Past those three qualities you won't be impressed but it's the meat and potatoes optic. It gives you the thing you need to perform and forgets about the rest. You won't find anything that can compete with it for less than $500 in my opinion.

I love my EP5 but the EPL-4 is lighter cheaper and still a solid performer.

20X high enough?

If so try a Sightron 4-20X50 STAC with MOA2 reticle. Shop around for under $400 inc. shipping. More than adequate everything.

16X OK?

If so, try a Sightron 3-16X42 STAC with MOA3 reticle About $40-$50 less than 4-20X50 STAC.

No complaints about mine. Funny dial markings could be improved but marked tape fixed that. Both focus down to 15 yards or so for rimfire use. 2nd focal plane, 30 mm tubes. Excellent tracking. I have 5 Sightons on rodent rifles, .20 to 6.5 caliber. Love that .25 MOA dot on reticle.

Looking for a scope for my .223 and shooting to distances of 800 yard targets. I know that more money is better but I'm after a scope around 200/400 dollars. I'm not after the clearest and all that stuff as I'm not shooting at animals ever. Just need enough turret elevation mounted on a 20 moa rail. Thank you.
Primary Arms has some decent scopes for the money.

Realistically, at 800 yards, the 20-25 power on the high end will let you see the target, and the mirage.
Seeing the mirage is both a good and a bad thing.
Bad in that it obscures your visibility.
Good in that it helps with windage hold offs.

Even with the most expensive glass, don't expect to see a 223 bullet hole at 800 yards.
Heck, even 400 is pushing it, dependant on conditions.

And with,( I'll call it inexpensive glass, not cheap) forget seeing a 223 bullet hole at 300 yards.

If your set at 800 yards, and doing maybe a match or 3, I'd recommend saving up more money and finding a used Sightron SIII. Either the 8-32X56, or a 10-50X60.
Used you can usually find one for $750 ish.

Last edited:

Recent Posts