Scope power

200VLD

I was wondering if a 15 power scope is enough power to shoot out to 800 yds. I am looking at a nightforce 3.5-15x50 scope that is on sale. Will I be happy with that power range? I dont see ever shooting at game past 800 yds.

1x for every 100 yards is plenty for big game. For hitting the 10 ring and prarie dogs you may want more but the scope you describe is more than enough magnification for 1000 yards +

200VLD,

It certainly depends on your eyes. It seems most folks need less magnification to see things than I do. I always use the most magnification in the weight range I want. I also know, from side by side comparison, a Nightforce needs 3X -4X less magnification than Swarovski to show the detail for everyone who has looked through the ones I have.

It depends on an animal size and your sight. For big game with good sight it is very good out to 1000 yards. It is also workable for row deer untill 800 yards and a marmot out to 500 yards.
Very good and universal optic. The only downside for me is its weight. Therefore, I took 2,5-10x32 on my 300 wm and am happy to hit big game out to 800 m.

I was wondering if a 15 power scope is enough power to shoot out to 800 yds. I am looking at a nightforce 3.5-15x50 scope that is on sale. Will I be happy with that power range? I dont see ever shooting at game past 800 yds.

That should be a great scope for all big game hunting.

My Favorite scope power for all but extreme distance is 3X14X50/55 mm with a 30mm tube (More
adjustment that 1" tubes)

There are rifle matches to 2000 yards that require iron sites and some impressive groups are shot,
so when you add 14 or 15 power to that it is more than enough.

Just My Opinion

J E CUSTOM

It depends on an animal size and your sight. For big game with good sight it is very good out to 1000 yards.

+1! You can't hit what you can't see. :):D:cool:lightbulb

Not all eye sights are created equal ... like Dave doing it with open sight well beyond 1K yards ...

Last edited by a moderator:
1x for every 100 yards is plenty for big game. For hitting the 10 ring and prarie dogs you may want more but the scope you describe is more than enough magnification for 1000 yards +

I know that 1x power for every 100 yds. is the general rule of thumb but I say 1.5 in my opinion. So a 15x scope would mathmatically be good to 1000 yds. depending on what you are hunting.

Good Luck

For the 1x per 100yds argument, how can you shoot less than MOA if the crosshairs on most scopes using this formula would not allow you to consistently identify the exact same spot on the target since it could be a least 1 inch of crosshair covering the target at 100 yds? I don't see how people can do bughole groups with scopes in the 10-12x scopes for this reason. Are there some tricks to get repeatedly on target with scopes of these mag ranges?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.