Reflex for high power rifle

86alaskan

So, not really long range optics, but curious if anyone has a good review for a reflex sight that will hold up to a high powered rifle. Looking to put one on a custom 8x57 mauser for close quarters deer hunting and don't want to waste money on one that won't handle the recoil. Gun weighs in around 8lbs loaded and the sight will go on a scout rail in front of the receiver. thanks

I have a Burris Fastfire 11, on a light .44 carbine. Went cheap from some of the same uncertainty you're working through. In a do over I'd get a sight that was smaller than the 4 MOA on this one, something with an alternative sight if batteries fail etched glass or something, (cold will render some inoperative), something you can change batteries without removing the sight from the rifle. I think Trigicon has a solar, or solar assisted model.

I do like the weight keeps a handy rifle handy, and improvement over irons for me.

I believe they will hold up on your rifle, I know they hold up to 12 gauges, and some pretty intense handguns.

The only advice I have is don't go cheap, it's more expensive in the long haul.

(cold will render some inoperative)

I don't know the conditions you will hunt in but seeing you are from Alaska I would pay attention to this quote.

I use an Aimpoint on a very regular basis. I have used them on deployments and teach a class to Soldiers on how to use it. If I had the money I would go this route, or Eotech.

I had a Leupold Delta Point that I probably would have loved if I would have bought the dot version instead of the triangle. The triangle is a lot bigger than the dot and to me I felt it obscured too much of the target. I did have it on a 500 S&W, but now it is just sitting in the safe until I find a new use for it. Side note, it handled the recoil well.

thanks NWMM, I was looking hard at the delta point, and the reviews I've read may seal the deal. I was thinking about another ultradot, thats what i have on my 454, but i want something really open and fast on this rifle.

I honestly don't think you would be disappointed in it. If that is the route that you decide to go definitely pass along your thoughts on it. It's always good to hear it when someone else likes what you like haha.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.