Rings for high powered magnums

John C.

I am putting together my first long range rifle (accumark in 30-378) and already have everything except a base and rings. I am pretty content with my choice of a EGW base, but cant quite seem to make a decision on rings. I have befriended a guy locally who has a lot of long range experience and is strongly suggesting I go with six screw tactical rings to ensure they hold. He also suggested a third ring.
I am all for putting things in my favor for not messing up in the field, but is this necessary? If so what would you suggest? If not what should I look into? For some reason I am drawn to the EGW rings, but cant tell youi hwy.
Thanks!
PS-The scope is a 50 mm swaro x5i with 30 mm tube

I like to use the 4 screw Nightforce or Seekins. I suppose you could go with a 6 screw design. But adding a third ring seems like excess.

I run a heavyweight .300RUM running 230 Hybrids @ 3068. My Premier Heritage 5-25×56 rides in a 6/4 combo Seekins alloy 34mm low rings atop a Seekins alloy 20MOA Picatinny rail with the recoil lug. I have about 400 rounds with this combo with nary a slip.

On most of my guns I drill out to #8 screws, bed the rail, and use 6 screw rings or Seekins 4 screw. On the .338 more guys seem to have a problem from the brake giving the quick recoil then push forward(kind of like a piston pellet rifle). I pinned the rail & bedded 2 sets of rings to the rail on my edge and have never had it move. Kirby Allen was doing something similar after experiencing issues on his magnums so I copied what he was doing.

On most of my guns I drill out to #8 screws, bed the rail, and use 6 screw rings or Seekins 4 screw. On the .338 more guys seem to have a problem from the brake giving the quick recoil then push forward(kind of like a piston pellet rifle). I pinned the rail & bedded 2 sets of rings to the rail on my edge and have never had it move. Kirby Allen was doing something similar after experiencing issues on his magnums so I copied what he was doing.

This is basically what my friend was suggesting with a few minor differences. I feel bad for asking if he was suggesting overkill, but I always like to get all opinions and chose for myself.

Talley QD Rings should be fine, even on a 505 Gibbs. In my experience the levers won't come loose under recoil so long as you orientate them pointing towards each other or otherwise have both facing forward or back (i.e. parallel to the bore). I find myself checking them often in the field anyway. If you are concerned about the levers coming loose you could always use a set of their screw lock rings, but of course you will need a carry torx tool to remove the rings in the field, should you ever want to. No sure if that action is drilled and tapped for 8x40 screws already, but that is what I would want holding the scope bases down on such a caliber.

6 screw nightforce should be all you need but bedding the base and rings will help you greatly and if can pin base that's will bullet proof it.

I'm mounting a scope this weekend. ATACR C-545 on a MPA 338LM I have 3 sets of rings on hand and need to choose? I have Barrett Zero Gap..Kelbys. and a set of Badger Steel . OK which ones do I use? They all seem OK?

The only gun I have had a problem with, VS regular rings, was my 458 Lott. I finally used steel Warne tactical rings and bases, they solved the tube movement due to recoil issues.
Ed

I'm mounting a scope this weekend. ATACR C-545 on a MPA 338LM I have 3 sets of rings on hand and need to choose? I have Barrett Zero Gap..Kelbys. and a set of Badger Steel . OK which ones do I use? They all seem OK?
Badger would be my choice.

I use Talley QD rings on a CZ 550 Safari Magnum in 458 Lott with no issues.

I use Warne QD rings with a bunch of barrels up to 300 Winchester Magnum and they work well. I tried Warne QD rings on a 378 Weatherby Magnum and when the scope was taken off and reattached, the first 2 or 3 shots after that would be off so I went to Warne permanent attached rings which have worked well.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts