Changing Ballistic Tip to Accubond

i assume you are a hunter
what are you hunting?
ballistic tip, deadly on thin skinned game
accubond for larger game.

i found the ballistic tip much more accurate for me.

bottom line, buy or borrow some and try for yourself, in your guns. you should now, after, reading all these replys, the AB's "might" shoot good where your BT's do
Yeah, Nosler told me that too. I have been using the .284 140 gr. The BT shot a 1/2" group at 100 yds, while the AB opened to over 2 inches, with the same load. I varied the powder charge and seating depth, but gave up on it. They might have worked with a different powder.

I tried the accubonds in my 30-338 in 180 and 200 just couldn't get them to shoot anything like the 210 Berger's. The same in a .270 I just gave up on them . Go to the Eld x and save the grief.

That's asking, "Because I like apple fritters, will I enjoy lemon jelly donuts?"

How agreeable a consumer of a thing, be it your mouth or your rifle, will be to a particular thing has no bearing on if it'll like something else entirely which happens to share 1 similarity but which also has 100 differences
G'day Ballistics guy
Why are your answers mostly sarcastic
All he asked was a straight forward question
I take your answer as you haven't got a clue !!

same published bc too (both inflated)
Same load data and published velocity for identical loads by nosler.

But of course, the accubonds all have white tips and the b-tips are all different colours. And if hornady has taught us anything it's that the tip is all important! The white tips will not heat up in the sunlight as much and won't melt as fast. This is the single biggest advantage of accubond bullets over all the others. (Hoping my sarcasm is obvious)
Oh if the Green guys would bring back the bronze point. Does not melt

I run the 180 accubond and 180 bt interchangeably in my 300WSM LA. Excellent accuracy (.622 @ 300yds) but contrary to others results the AB holds the accuracy edge over the BT. But should be noted that all load workup and tuning was done with the AB, just a bonus I can bang steel at a grand with BTs much cheaper! BTW AB terminal performance is realibly impressive.

I run the 180 accubond and 180 bt interchangeably in my 300WSM LA. Excellent accuracy (.622 @ 300yds) but contrary to others results the AB holds the accuracy edge over the BT. But should be noted that all load workup and tuning was done with the AB, just a bonus I can bang steel at a grand with BTs much cheaper! BTW AB terminal performance is realibly impressive.

G'day JM
How much cheaper ??
Bit of a difference in prices over here

Midway USA list the 180 AB for 36 per 50 the BT are 25 per 50. U can often find seconds from midway or nosler , I use them for load development. Ocw and seating depth test don't seem to mind seconds. I should point out the not all AB /BT are interchangeable. Check obviously WV. Then OAL and BC and if all 3 are equal you should be gtg. Example of 2 that are not....270/140s ...not equal dimensionally...not equal down the tube.

Do Accubond tend to group similarly to the same weight Ballistic Tip?
In my Sig 940SHR .270 Win, they shoot to within 1/2" of each other in that rifle, which seems to like anything that I feed it.
My Rem 700 in 30-06 shoots 1 1/2" different at 100 yds.
My Rem Model Seven in .243Win shoots over 1" different at 100 yds.
So to answer your question, If 1/2" to 1 1/2" at 100 yards doesn't cause you alarm then say yes they shoot to the same point of aim.
If that difference causes you concern then they do not shoot to the same point of aim.
I say that they do not.

G'day JM
How much cheaper ??
Bit of a difference in prices over here
Thanks JMPrecision for the states pricing. For whatever it's work in Canada the 30 cal btips are typically about 35 per fifty (ouch) and the accubonds are hard to find for less than a dollar a piece (super ouch). I love the nosler bullets but for most of what I do it's hard to argue with the hornady price tag. I know I poked a bit of fun at them about their marketing but I do actually use mostly hornady. It's the most available and affordable where I am. I've never used the accubonds as I just can't accept the price. If I want truly tough bullet that still expands like any other lead core I'd reload the federal trophy bonded tips, which have been available to handloaders for a while. They're actually a good bit cheaper than the accubonds here and a lot more insurance if you just really need to guarantee it's gonna get through.

My experience with the AB & Ballistic tips using same exact load recipe has been similar accuracy with the ballistic tip grouping slightly better in some rifles/cartridges & the AB doing slightly better in others. No clear cut winner, I just normally use whichever one is best suited for the game I am hunting. I cannot say that they will shoot to exactly the same point of aim - this requires testing of your particular set-up to verify.

Hi, I have used both 130 Grn. Ballistic tips and Accubonds in my Weatherby Mark V Ultralight Rifle , in .270 Win. Hand loaded in Matched Win Cases , with Win LR Primers, using 59.5 grns of H 4831, with 130 grn bullets. I see very little difference in Groupe size when shot from this rifle. Many 3 shot groups, at 100 yards are just one ragged hole. The Ballistic Tips ( My favorite ) just explode inside the deer, no need for a second shot, and no tracking . To be clear, all my shots in the last 8 years have been between 100 and 125 yards. I would keep this load just as is even if the expected range was out to 250 yards. This is my White Tail Deer Rifle and my White Tail Deer Load. Hope this was helpful, Lenny

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.