Changing Ballistic Tip to Accubond

Can't state that they shoot to same poi, but they have shot extremely well for me and terminal performance has been exceptional in my 7 RM. Think initial ballistic tip expansion (violent) but with less weight loss, better penetration, and less bloodshot meat. Innards are liquified.

I have used both, in various calibers, and never had any issue with accuracy switching back and forth between the 2. I've spoken to Nosler on this matter, as someone stated earlier, the only difference between the two is one is bonded and the other is not.

I tried 150 grainers in my .270 WBY, point of impact was close but not the same at 500 yrds between the two.

i assume you are a hunter
what are you hunting?
ballistic tip, deadly on thin skinned game
accubond for larger game.

i found the ballistic tip much more accurate for me.

bottom line, buy or borrow some and try for yourself, in your guns. you should now, after, reading all these replys, the AB's "might" shoot good where your BT's do

A few years ago I tried both AB and BT in my 300 WM (180 gr) and 270 Win (130 gr). As I recall the group sizes were the same out to 300 yards, but there was a small difference in point of impact. Since ABs are more expensive, my thought at the time was to use BTs for practice, and then for hunting, load the ABs and make the POI adjustment. But I have stayed with BTs for both practice and hunting.

Thanks for the replies. I'm considering switching to AB for deer. The BT is hard to beat on broadside shots but bone can be too much. Its funny how a BT in one caliber can be so different than the same in another.

Thanks for the replies. I'm considering switching to AB for deer. The BT is hard to beat on broadside shots but bone can be too much. Its funny how a BT in one caliber can be so different than the same in another.

I agree, in addition to the bonding I believe the AB has a thicker jacket in the lower section so that it acts more like the Partition bullets that I understand it (AB) is intended to replace.

I should have stated in my other response - in my testing/comparisons, the AB grouped "a little" better. But both were sub MOA.

Talked with Nosler several months ago on this subject and the tech told me they are the same bullet only one has a bonded core and the other does not I have shot them side by side and if there is a difference it would be very marginal as I don't see any difference on paper with the same load

Yeah, Nosler told me that too. I have been using the .284 140 gr. The BT shot a 1/2" group at 100 yds, while the AB opened to over 2 inches, with the same load. I varied the powder charge and seating depth, but gave up on it. They might have worked with a different powder.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.