Accubond & Ballistic Tip question

cmillett79

Just a quick question to those of you that have used or use both... Do both of these bullets have the same orgive ? Im currently dialed in with 180gr Ballistic tips ..Just wanting to know if I will get close to the same POI with the 180gr Accubonds set with the same seating depth.

Just a quick question to those of you that have used or use both... Do both of these bullets have the same orgive ? Im currently dialed in with 180gr Ballistic tips ..Just wanting to know if I will get close to the same POI with the 180gr Accubonds set with the same seating depth.

Yes.

The Accubond is the same as the ballistic tip except for the bonded core and the color
of the polymer tip.

I use both and they both have there strong points.

If I wan't good energy transfer on thin skinned game I use ballistic tips.

And If I wan't controled expansion on thick skinned game like Elk, Hogs,rams.ETC
I use the accubond or the partition.

The Accubond is also very Accurate as the name implies

J E CUSTOM

Same with my .300 RUM, I just switched to the accubonds and there is no difference with the POI. I was told the accubond holds together a little better than the ballistic tip, that's why I switched. Haven't killed with it yet though.

Thanks for the info people.....I figured they would at least hit close to the same POI , but most of you say your getting the same POI in different rifles is just what I wanted to hear...

Thanks

By the way heres the load I worked up in my M70 classic ss 300 win mag. 26" barrel.

180 gr Nosler BTs
Neck sized Fed. brass
H 4350
Fed LR primers

69grs H 4350 same hole 2 shot group @ 112yds 3003fps
70grs H 4350 .5" 2 shot group & .65" 3 shot group @ 112yds 3052fps

Since the groups were looking to open up with powder increase, I decided to go with 69.5grs of H 4350..I would have stayed with 69grs but it was 78* degrees this day .. I figured .5gr more would compensate for the colder weather that is comming .. I 1st started with Fed match LRM primers , but groups opened up BIG time after 67grs .. 67grs produced 2952fps and a .5" 2 shot group...I figure if I went to a less hot primer , I may be able to increase the powder charge to burn more down the 26" tube..Well it worked ;) I was really wanting to hit 3100fps ( which Im sure I could with the same load ) , but it was near 80* and the groups were opening up as the pwder charge increased..Im sure I wouldnt have a prob in less than 60* weather with 70.5-71grs..MAde up my 69.6gr loads and shot my 250yd target for a shot a 2"group....Moved the target down to 350yds and shot a respectfull 4" group...The load would do better but it was me and also dealing with the wind..I developed this load with the hopes of the accubond to hit same POI as the ballistic tips for a 400-500yd elk/deer combo..Looks like I have just what I wanted.

Last edited:
cmillett79,
Very close to what I got with my Savage 112BVSS/.300WinMag.

69.0 = 3094fps @ .370"
70.0 = 3117fps @ .636"
71.0 = 3154fps @ .7675"

I used Rem 9.5M primers and OAL was 2.9105". I tried RL22 with this bullet but could never get it to group very well, although it did great with the 180gn SMK. The Ballistic Tip seems to be a little bit more accurate at longer ranges in my rifle. JohnnyK.

Yes, that is pretty close ... Did you see any extreme high pressure signs at 71grs ? I didnt see anything extreme except for primers starting to flatten .. Not by mush though..I still dont think what I got is bad at all considering its just a 7 1/2lb sporter rifle.....I have a 7mm mag sendero on the way that I cant wait to start building up :D

Not really. It was as high as I wanted to go at the time because the ambient temp was up there. I may try it again now that the temps are cooling off a little. Not sure I could take that kind of abuse in a light rifle. Mine weighs 12lbs and it gets my attention some days!
You're probably gonna love that Sendero. I had one of the first generation in 7mag and man was that thing accurate. Good luck with it. JohnnyK.

Yea , my model 70 will thump ya , but not to the point it bothers me ..I compete in powerlifting , so Im a bit thicker in the shoulders than the average guy..Let me know how the loads turn out when you get results.....The sendero that I have on the way is the 1st generation ( I guess ) .. It has the HS sporter style stock and a nonfluted blued (looks black) barreled action...Ive heard alot of great things about this sendero model...I'll post up some progress with it when I get the chance.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.