cartrige selection for wife

I've got the 700 action I am thinking 26" shilen #5 with an 8 twist maybe a bobby heart stock from stocky stocks and a viper pst shooting the creedmoor

My vote goes for the 260 or the creedmore. Both are super easy to reload for and both are accurate. Will get you out to 1k very easy. Just show her a pic of the loaded rounds side by side and let her pick which one looks good to her. Kind of gives her a little ownership in it (women love that).

My vote goes for the 260 or the creedmore. Both are super easy to reload for and both are accurate. Will get you out to 1k very easy. Just show her a pic of the loaded rounds side by side and let her pick which one looks good to her. Kind of gives her a little ownership in it (women love that).

Haha love it that's what well do

Here's the .260 Rem vs .260 AI picture... I stole it off Google. I'm a big fan of the AI calibers, myself. Slightly better ballistics, but they also have that cool, unique, and custom factor to them.

TCross02x300.jpg

And here's a nice comparison pic of several calibers in that cartridge size...

65creedmoorzak1.jpg

my wife shoots a remingto 700 7-08 and loves it. She to is slight of build 5'3" red head that keeps me in line. She also stole my 7wsm from me and loves shooting it. Just my 2 cents.

I'd get her a .260 Rem. but since you're going custom, a .260 AI would be interesting. I thought about building a .260 Ackley in the future because it's so efficient, but leaning towards the 6.5 Rem. Mag. for something different. A .243 or .243 AI would also be another good option. Also good choice when it came to the action and barrel!

I'd get her a .260 Rem. but since you're going custom, a .260 AI would be interesting. I thought about building a .260 Ackley in the future because it's so efficient, but leaning towards the 6.5 Rem. Mag. for something different. A .243 or .243 AI would also be another good option. Also good choice when it came to the action and barrel!
I have always used shilen and Remington there may be better out there but why change what works??

Hey mcharger, I just noticed that you are from Minco. Most of my family lives in the Binger and Eakly area. There used to be a place in Minco called Don's bbq, the best bbq I ever had. Nice to see a fellow local on here.

I have always used shilen and Remington there may be better out there but why change what works??

My family has always been Remington fans (excluding my uncle who likes them but prefers Sakos, FN and Commercial Mausers and also swears by Shilens.) The rest of us are Hart barrel guys but I know Shilens are just as accurate and just as high quality. Personally, there may be equal quality barrels out there but for actions, the only thing off the shelf that competes with Remington is Savages but I think they're kind of ugly.

Hey mcharger, I just noticed that you are from Minco. Most of my family lives in the Binger and Eakly area. There used to be a place in Minco called Don's bbq, the best bbq I ever had. Nice to see a fellow local on here.

Dons still there just like always just less consistent than he used to be lol next time your in town pm me got lots of yotes between 400-1000 yds

I'll vote for the 260, 6.5X284, or the good old 243....If I was to get the 243 I would get a faster twist barrel. My wife has the tikka T3 light and it has more recoil than my savage 116. There is a definite difference in weight between the two rifles but the 6.5 with the 140's is a good tac driver. Some day the wife may get here rifle rebarrled with a 1-8 to shoot some of the heavier bullets but if going custom the 243, 243AI, or any of the 6.5 with a good twist rate will serve her well.

I'll vote for the 260, 6.5X284, or the good old 243....If I was to get the 243 I would get a faster twist barrel. My wife has the tikka T3 light and it has more recoil than my savage 116. There is a definite difference in weight between the two rifles but the 6.5 with the 140's is a good tac driver. Some day the wife may get here rifle rebarrled with a 1-8 to shoot some of the heavier bullets but if going custom the 243, 243AI, or any of the 6.5 with a good twist rate will serve her well.

+1 on the .243, .243 AI, and .260 Rem.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.