Canned Deer

Several years ago I heard that there was a place that you could hunt by remote control.
A feeder and stand that had a rifle connected to a camera and remote.
When a deer stepped out you would get an alert and if you liked what you saw you used your computer to line up the scope and hit enter.
That would send an alert to the "guide" and they would get your deer process and mount it, then send it to you
That's crazy 😮
I don't know how to even respond 😞

If you're in the Alberta wilderness surrounded by tens of thousands of acres, and there is a cleared shooting lane and a cleared spot where the bait , Is this a canned hunt? What if you're on five to fifteen thousand acres of high fence with elevated box blinds that have lots of deer come in just because there is no hunting pressure. Is this a canned hunt? This is the slippery slope hunters slide down when we start to judge others. I hunt within sight of my house on one of my feeders bringing deer off of a federal wildlife Refuge onto private land no one is able to hunt except myself and whoever I invite. Canned hunt? I don't judge or care what people with more money than myself does with it. If they want to pay ten, fifteenth thousand to kill a giant buck that most hunters won't see in their lifetime on public land, who cares. Envy, one of the sins spoken of in the Bible. Quit fighting among ourselves.
I do pretty much what you are doing.
I use the feeders to get a better look at what is in my area and now since we stopped hunting the quail and turkeys several years ago due to declining numbers I seem to be feeding them more than anything.
One thing I can tell you, at least in my area, is the really big bucks never come to my feeders, for years I have watched them skirt way around the feeders and stay down wind checking out the other deer.
The only time I catch them on the feeder camera is when they are in velvet and sometimes into the middle of September, after that they totally change.

When my grandfather took me deer Hunting for the first time he parked his pickup truck in a field on land he had permission to hunt on he had me hold the 2 rifles while he stepped over the fence and I handed him the rifles and then I stepped over the fence we were both wearing overalls jean type and he started then to teach me how to track deer using there scrapes and footprints as he glassed ahead with his binoculars. We had to hunt the deer down to make a kill there was no Deer stand to sit in or corn on the ground but acorns or wild persimmon trees where he knew that might attract deer and small water sources. some day we would get a deer somedays we would have no luck. But we always had a great time and I learned how to truly Hunt. To each man women or teenager who Hunts do it in the manner you enjoy fellowship with other Hunters always offer coffee to any hunter passing your camp let them warm up next to your fire share stories then Your Truly Hunting.

Last edited:
I concur with the slippery slope comment. To each his own. I don't hunt canned type hunts and usually have to bone out a deer to pack it out of a deep canyon. But if it's legal and they can afford it so be it. It's like when Jim Zumbo criticized the AR style rifles and he was a spokesman for Remington. He didn't last long as a spokesman, or writer either. I don't hunt with that style rifle but support those who do.

We must stick together as a hunting community and hunt the way we enjoy.

Have an awesome fall folks.

First off, I'm old. I have plenty of big antlers on the wall Do I need more, not realy. Not saying thaif some old big bruser came within range I wouldn't shoot it. But I hunt with my grandson, rather he shoots it and grandpa will shoot that doe for the meat. Hunting in a fenced in managed area is NOT HUNTING! Reminds me of popping that steer in the head in a working shoot at the slaughter house. Seems to me it's for those rich wantabes so they can brag about how he shot this gigantic deer. It's like a video I saw of some plantary rifle in a deer field controlled by a joystick from an office.

If you're in the Alberta wilderness surrounded by tens of thousands of acres, and there is a cleared shooting lane and a cleared spot where the bait , Is this a canned hunt? What if you're on five to fifteen thousand acres of high fence with elevated box blinds that have lots of deer come in just because there is no hunting pressure. Is this a canned hunt? This is the slippery slope hunters slide down when we start to judge others. I hunt within sight of my house on one of my feeders bringing deer off of a federal wildlife Refuge onto private land no one is able to hunt except myself and whoever I invite. Canned hunt? I don't judge or care what people with more money than myself does with it. If they want to pay ten, fifteenth thousand to kill a giant buck that most hunters won't see in their lifetime on public land, who cares. Envy, one of the sins spoken of in the Bible. Quit fighting among ourselves.
I consider a canned hunt being high fenced on small acreage 100 or less. The woods in the south are dense, a lot of thick vegetation so it seems a lot of people use feeders. I'm not a fan of feeders but my FIL is so I have got him putting a protein pellets in the feeders rather than corn. At least the protein is very beneficial especially during the spring and early summer. I prefer to plant food plots, they tend to benefit all of the critters.

I love to watch the outdoor channels on TV, but I'm getting aggravated by what I'm seeing lately. It seems like 2 out of 3 of the deer hunting shows on the networks are just showing the host traveling to some shooting ranch in Texas or some other state to hunt. They just go sit in one of the pre-positioned blind boxes inside a fenced area and shoot a big buck when he comes to the corn. Their buck has usually been pre-selected and they just shoot it when it walks out.
I'm sorry, but that's just not deer hunting
I agree and would never do it for deer hunting but the almighty dollar has bit many landowners. So many landowners are screaming that they're being overrun by feral hogs but want to charge ridiculous fees for people to come on to their property to help rid them of their problem. I realize there may be some factors that "could" justify why but I'm not paying to line their pockets. Secondly, as a hunter from the eastern U.S., if I would like to hunt elk, mountain goat, sheep, antelope, etc. in the western U.S. having to jump through all the hoops required makes me give up before even trying. I know these states cannot have unlimited non-resident hunters come in from everywhere without certain restrictions so it causes many hunters to go the route of a "canned" hunt which I can see too.

First off, I'm old. I have plenty of big antlers on the wall Do I need more, not realy. Not saying thaif some old big bruser came within range I wouldn't shoot it. But I hunt with my grandson, rather he shoots it and grandpa will shoot that doe for the meat. Hunting in a fenced in managed area is NOT HUNTING! Reminds me of popping that steer in the head in a working shoot at the slaughter house. Seems to me it's for those rich wantabes so they can brag about how he shot this gigantic deer. It's like a video I saw of some plantary rifle in a deer field controlled by a joystick from an office.

Last year I did a Bison hunt in Nebraska and even though they were technically enclosed the area was 4,000 acres and the animals were wary enough that it took me several stalks after a day and a half to get my shot with my Sharps.

In my research there are a handful of places that have wild bison tags and many would take decades to draw as a non resident. On top of that in states like Montana the tag would cost $4,000 to hunt a bison that wandered out of Yellowstone. After visiting Yellowstone I'm not sure how much of a hunt that would be.

On the flip side I found places that were absolutely like shooting a cow in a field. The one video I saw the guy walked into the herd in a field and shot one with a bow at like 20 yards and not one animal was spooked. That was the opposite of what I wanted for my hunt and I specifically looked for a place that had animals that were as wild as possible.