Can You Spot the Copperhead

Tip::: Light green Leef in the middle and just 2" from the left you can start to see the curve of the body profile. and the rest of the body in a lower curve. ===
This is something you need to learn about animals not only snakes.

Another Pot

Another subject
DON"T HUNT AFRICA unless you are prepared. You don;t get it - it is a whole different world. Not going to Texas in a fenced property.
EVERYTHING in AFRICA IS OUT TO KILL YOU.
We have been there and done that. You have gone with a guide that takes you to the quite areas, but go with a guide that you see a thousand Plains game a day and also some of the Dangerous one.
If you plan on Hunting Africa you need to do your home work,. African animals are much harder to see in the bush and a lot hard to KILL than a Whitetail Elk. They have more stamina Streng and body weight
Can't explain the thrill - you have to live it.
Goining to sleep now.
Good guides, BAD guides, Horrible guides and guides where you don't come home like off TV and
then GREAT GREAT guides.
If you want Africa TIPS PM US
Len and
Jill

Not a copperhead but a prairie rattlesnake right after I got done stepping on it's tail.

Attachments

• 8CB67B7A-5971-4A13-AAAD-10645433AC5B.jpeg
    8CB67B7A-5971-4A13-AAAD-10645433AC5B.jpeg
    287.6 KB · Views: 36
I have killed a lot of Rattler in S, Calif. over the years. The first one I got was just over 6' long. We have a few different types of them here. The best one was Mohave Green on a paved road. I got it with a steel stake. I throw it out towards it head. The stake was the type that is use for setting forms. It landed flat on it's head. No skill involved, just luck. The was the first Mohave Green I have ever seen and the last I hope.
There is 4 different types in S. Calif that I know of.
Never did pick out the Copper Head in the picture even with a circle around it. I don't like that.

Tip::: Light green Leef in the middle and just 2" from the left you can start to see the curve of the body profile. and the rest of the body in a lower curve. ===
This is something you need to learn about animals not only snakes.

Another Pot

Another subject
DON"T HUNT AFRICA unless you are prepared. You don;t get it - it is a whole different world. Not going to Texas in a fenced property.
EVERYTHING in AFRICA IS OUT TO KILL YOU.
We have been there and done that. You have gone with a guide that takes you to the quite areas, but go with a guide that you see a thousand Plains game a day and also some of the Dangerous one.
If you plan on Hunting Africa you need to do your home work,. African animals are much harder to see in the bush and a lot hard to KILL than a Whitetail Elk. They have more stamina Streng and body weight
Can't explain the thrill - you have to live it.
Goining to sleep now.
Good guides, BAD guides, Horrible guides and guides where you don't come home like off TV and
then GREAT GREAT guides.
If you want Africa TIPS PM US
Len and
Jill
Beem there twice. The first time I took my 308 N. Mag, the second time I took my 338WM. Most of the shots were under 40yds. I lost one the first time. The second time 4 shot for dead animals.
The first time everybody was saying hurry up and shoot. I learn again not to rush my shots. I did on one, and wounded it. Not sure where I hit it. There was some brush in the way partly. My scope was on 2 power. I didn't remember to raise the power up on it to show me the problem with the brush. I end up with the head European mounted.
I learned a long time ago not to rush my shots. Let them go and try another day. Saves a lot of tracking and not loss of game.
I would like to go back again but to S. Africa to take some different type of animals.
I hate the flying. I will everything I can to avoid going thru New York again. Next time I will into Germany then onto Africa. You can't take firearms through England.

I was walking out after dark bow hunting mule deer near Medora, ND, couple years ago. Brutal hot week 95 every day. Kicked my butt but I kept gaiters on though hotter than dickens. About 25' from road as I stepped near a sagebrush, rattler lit up hard couple feet from me. If there was a world record Olympic side jump, I broke it easily even at 67.!! CO stopped me on road and laughed his butt off. He told me locals and even he doesn't hunt until deep hard freeze. Yeah, thanks.

That's a good one. When I lived in the South 3 decades ago, I hated those things, for I stepped near and on my fair share of them. I learned to become very perceptive in spotting them, but that pic was one of the toughest to spot I have seen.

Living in the country, often at night, I have walked outside to find one warming on the concrete driveway or sometimes, on the concrete right out my front door. I always feared one of my kids would step out and be bitten by one, but they were taught and learned very early what to look for and avoid. The dogs, not so much.

Usually in the woods and swamp areas, I wore high boots to help protect against snakes of all types, and those boots protected me on more than one occasion.

If you want to know how high you can jump, just step on something that feels funny and look down to see a venomous snake trying to bite your boot.........Michael Jordon will have nothing on you!

Last edited:
Years ago I was bow hunting in October and while climbing up to the stand I dropped my release. Climbed back down , and when I bent over and picked it up I noticed a baby Copperhead about 6" from my hand 😳 Luckily it was cold enough that it could barely move so of with its head is what it got.

Beem there twice. The first time I took my 308 N. Mag, the second time I took my 338WM. Most of the shots were under 40yds. I lost one the first time. The second time 4 shot for dead animals.
The first time everybody was saying hurry up and shoot. I learn again not to rush my shots. I did on one, and wounded it. Not sure where I hit it. There was some brush in the way partly. My scope was on 2 power. I didn't remember to raise the power up on it to show me the problem with the brush. I end up with the head European mounted.
I learned a long time ago not to rush my shots. Let them go and try another day. Saves a lot of tracking and not loss of game.
I would like to go back again but to S. Africa to take some different type of animals.
I hate the flying. I will everything I can to avoid going thru New York again. Next time I will into Germany then onto Africa. You can't take firearms through England.

This is what I saw. Hope its it?
View attachment 441204
Thanks I findly see it. That I believe is harder than finding a boob-trap in Nam. I was very good at that in Nam, Either my eyes aren't as sharp, and that was 51 years ago. The other is I can determine better of what I am looking for now. You needed to stick my nose in there to see it. 😂 I went back to the original picture. I still had a hard time picking it out. Findly the light came on. Dam!

Last edited:
I won't tolerate the over excitement and rush job - either stateside or Africa. Just 1 time and then everybody gets the 'lecture'. My ph in Tanzania tried to - unannounced - adjust my Swarovski scope just as I pulled the trigger on a huge Hippo at 30 yards. Result was a wounded Hippo that derailed the whole day and endangered the whole crew. I was furious. The crew wasn't happy either. They all saw him do it, so they knew what was up. Caused some serious ruckus in camp that night. It was a really dicey situation. Only animal I've ever shot in Africa that wasn't recovered in multiple years of safaris.

I won't tolerate the over excitement and rush job - either stateside or Africa. Just 1 time and then everybody gets the 'lecture'. My ph in Tanzania tried to - unannounced - adjust my Swarovski scope just as I pulled the trigger on a huge Hippo at 30 yards. Result was a wounded Hippo that derailed the whole day and endangered the whole crew. I was furious. The crew wasn't happy either. They all saw him do it, so they knew what was up. Caused some serious ruckus in camp that night. It was a really dicey situation. Only animal I've ever shot in Africa that wasn't recovered in multiple years of safaris.
That a bad one. I made sure on the second trip to tell the guide not to push me to shoot. I will do it when I am ready. Generally I don't make a bad shot. If the animal runs off so be it. Better alive and no wounded. Not many ever run off that I am going to shoot either.
That reminds me of the first trip. There was a person there with all the bells and whistles including a range finder. N.F Scope. He would range and adjust the scope. He wounder an animal at 40yds. The animal moved 10yds and stop. He ranged it again and adjusted his scope. This went on until the animal left the area. He never shot again at that animal. Kept adusting his scope each time the animal moved. It disappeareed at about 150yds into the brush. I guess he never knew about point blank range. It takes all kinds.

Limestone region of Kentucky here only counting the ones killed between the house and barns I have killed 42 since moving here in 96…. that one would've been impossible walking through the woods until it moved

Good Camo for sure. That really like watching for trip wires. They would even put a vine on the wire. One guy though that the unit called a brake mid morning. The FNG not thinking been down and blow his nuts off. I guess that why people down there wear snake boots. I think I would get a pair if going hunting down there.