Can You Spot the Copperhead

7FD6A698-265A-4DFC-A566-959E3D94422F.jpeg

This one's a little more obvious. He can have that turkey call

Last edited:
I was walking out after dark bow hunting mule deer near Medora, ND, couple years ago. Brutal hot week 95 every day. Kicked my butt but I kept gaiters on though hotter than dickens. About 25' from road as I stepped near a sagebrush, rattler lit up hard couple feet from me. If there was a world record Olympic side jump, I broke it easily even at 67.!! CO stopped me on road and laughed his butt off. He told me locals and even he doesn't hunt until deep hard freeze. Yeah, thanks.
I have done that couple of time. 1 I was going down dam bank and about 6 over the side. I was on top of the dam. One jump. I didn't know I could do. The next I was after it. It had move about 60yds before I found it. I think I broke the Hop, Skip, and jump record another time. I had one chase me. It was quicker than I ever expected. I finally got it too. My oldest son sat down on a rock to watch for deer early in the morning. The next thing, he was using a stick and jamping into the rock area. There was a rattle snake there.

OMG You are a lucky person!!
God Bless
Take out a LOTO

Thanks for sharing and other people take heed!
Well I didn't take that one but have had a few similar experiences. A quick story about a buddy of mine, he was turkey hunting and had a rattle snake crawl between him and the tree he was sitting next to. He coiled up by his left hip and just stayed there. He finally reached a small stick with his right hand, about the thickness of a pencil, and lightly tapped on him (away from his body) until he moved away. Pretty sure Id have set a land speed record as soon as I felt him.

Last edited:
Buddy of mine had a rattle snake crawl between him and the tree he was sitting next to turkey hunting. He coiled up by his left hip and just stayed there. He finally got a small stick, about the thickness of a pencil, and lightly tapped on him (away from his body) until he moved away. Pretty sure Id have set a land speed record as soon as I felt him.
Got a picture of something like this while Turkey hunting myself. It was printed and not digital like now,

Here in GA hunting in the Pines there are plenty of Rattlers and Copperheads.

Jill and I went to lease a plot of land South of Monticello, GA. There were a lot of pines. We drove around and walked looking for possible deer stands. Saw 11 rattlers within one hour of scouting.
Needless to say Jill didn't want to hunt there.

Last edited:
Got a picture of something like this while Turkey hunting myself. It was printed and not digital like now,

Here in GA hunting in the Pines there are plenty of Rattlers and Copperheads.

Jill and I went to lease a plot of land South of Monticello, GA. There were a lot of pines. We drove around and walked looking for possible deer stands. Saw 11 rattlers withing one hour of scouting.
Needless to say Jill didn't want to hunt there.
The most I have seen while cruising timber was 28 cotton mouths and 12-14 water snakes. That was in about a 3-4hour period. They were everywhere and we were a walking on egg shells for a few days. Every cricket or lizard we saw twitch had us jumping. Not too nervous with singles etc. but that day we were surrounded.

You get snakey after awhile. There was one time I was looking for a rattlesnake to cook up make a meal out of it. I found one. On a rock sunning itself. He was letting me know he was there. I was standing face to face with it. I stuck out my rifle and let it have it. I blow off about 6" of his body and head. It flew right at me. I had to turn sideways to keep it from hitting me in the left shoulder. His mouth was wide open and showing his flangs. I determine that wasn't so smart. Now I generally use a rock to do the job.
Another time I kill one and cut it's head off and took it home with me. The next day I went fish with a cousins. I place it in the bed of his pickup, next to a sparkplug hose he used to fill up his tires with. The 2 looked almost the same color. My son was with me too. Anyway my cousin start to put in his fishing pole in the bed of the pickup. He moved his hand down inside bed. He stop and look and pull back his hand. He 😂 did it about 3 times. He findly putting the pole down. He figure it was okay. As he sat the pole down he jump back 😂. He finally figure out what it was, and yelled at me. We would play trick on each other over the years. It's make me laugh to think about all those time.😂😂😂. Campfire stories.

Just like all the advertisements for camo clothing... low resolution and doctored to even out all the tones. I know they can blend in well but that picture is very misleading. When you train your eye to look for that pattern, they are not all that difficult to pick out. It's always good to review pictures and remind the wife and kids every spring before yard and garden work starts up after a long winter of not having to worry about them. My 5 year old spotted one curled up in the rocks in a garden bed a number of years ago when we were living in Missouri. She had no fear and was a collector of many things creepy-crawly. She did good and came and got mom and dad as soon as she spotted it. she knew to keep her distance.

The contrasting dark brown/black bands enabled me to finally see it - scary! Saw a rattle snake in Oregon that looked like a stud length 2X4 with both ends pointed- close to 7 feet long. Amazing that snake creatures can survive below zero temps then slither out upon spring warmth.

A cottonmouth story...
Fort Polk, Louisiana - 1970. We were marching, in formation, when the three platoons in front of us broke formation. A cottonmouth, roughly 18 inches to two feet was sunning itself in the middle of the trail. The local troops enjoyed watching the rest of us scatter! Only cottonmouth I have seen in the wild. ( I think Timber Rattlers are the only venomous snake we have in Iowa. ) Fort Polk was an interesting experience - learned to always check our fox hole, sleeping bag, and immediate area for snakes and other native creatures!!:)
Duane

Last edited: