Can you guess what caused this failure?

Haven't read all the posts, so this may have been mentioned..........
What about switching between gilding metal jacket bullets and all copper bullets without cleaning , would that cause excessive buildup ?

Hopefully no one was harmed. Barrel shank appears to be short for a 300 something. Re-chambered and the barrel was set-back to far for the caliber? Hope this was not the case, if so new gunsmith warranted.

The big cylinder shaped grains appear to be bag stuffings.

This might be a result of the "detonation effect" where grossly under charges of extremely slow powder are used causing a detonation vs. progressive burning. I only have heard of this.

Sure looks ugly. An obstruction might have also caused this.

Another possible cause: previous round was a squib loaded with an undercharge resulting in a stuck bullet inside bore. Second round lit off the entire works.

Copper fouling cause needs more work - like measuring thickness of fouling.

Last edited:
You can join the rank and file of greatness with us Bud! You're a member!
Okay, I'll join your ranks as long as people don't start expecting great things out of me too often. Treeslugs aren't capable of much, and I am a bit of a hermit treeslug. I only come out of my cave on the third full moon of the second Tuesday of the fifth week of the thirteenth month of each millennium. And that day is pretty booked-up with me shooting something! If I ain't shooting anything, I am changing the blinker fluid in my cowdozer.

Okay, I'll join your ranks as long as people don't start expecting great things out of me too often. Treeslugs aren't capable of much, and I am a bit of a hermit treeslug. I only come out of my cave on the third full moon of the second Tuesday of the fifth week of the thirteenth month of each millennium. And that day is pretty booked-up with me shooting something! If I ain't shooting anything, I am changing the blinker fluid in my cowdozer.
You Okay? Must have really taxed your "Thinker" putting this one together!🤣

You Okay? Must have really taxed your "Thinker" putting this one together!🤣
Just trying to be entertaining since I haven't shot anything but a mud creek bank since last fall. I am trying to save them pigs for some old man from Canada, if they ever open that country up again. BTW, I couldn't get the blinker fluid changed in the cowdozer because I don't have a lefthand metric crescent wrench. I did manage to get my high compression radiator bolts in along with the new rubberized camshaft. Now all I need are two AA batteries and she should start right on up.

Ok, I guess I'm going to put a theory out there where it is "possible" that fouling was the problem. Not the copper in the bore, don't believe that for a minute. Dreaded Carbon ring? that will increase pressure for sure. It is possible for a burned throat to hold enough fouling to push the bullet back in the case, and way back if chambered hard and a low powder fill. This can easily cause a frozen bolt, and possibly a deeply fluted barrel could let go too. All possible. Likely is an obstruction a couple of inches in front of the bullet. I have also seen bullets separate from jackets in heavy magnum revolvers with a rough throat. I've never witnessed it with a rifle, but it is possible with enough fouling, and possibly helped along with a double pressure spike. Part or all of the jacket from the first shot remaining in the barrel would account for the great copper coating on the barrel, as would an oversize bullet. The bullet stripping its jacket on the first shot would line up with the evidence in the pictures, but I've never seen it happen with a rifle.

Just trying to be entertaining since I haven't shot anything but a mud creek bank since last fall. I am trying to save them pigs for some old man from Canada, if they ever open that country up again. BTW, I couldn't get the blinker fluid changed in the cowdozer because I don't have a lefthand metric crescent wrench. I did manage to get my high compression radiator bolts in along with the new rubberized camshaft. Now all I need are two AA batteries and she should start right on up.
Not unless you go back to the Auto Parts store and get a can of compression. You know it won't have any left after sitting so long!

Not unless you go back to the Auto Parts store and get a can of compression. You know it won't have any left after sitting so long!
It has only been sitting up for a few years. Do you really think I'll need a can of compression? A can of that is kinda expensive--and heavy, too. Especially when it is for a diesel cowdozer. Maybe I'll just fill the turbo-charger with liquid rubber to keep all the exhaust from escaping. Do you think that'll work?