Model 70 jam what caused it?

Domenic

I have a model 70 that jammed. I was able to get it open eventually but my extractor was broken. I found the part online but I want to make sure I do not do it again. Is there anything these rifles are known for that cause this?

I have a model 70 that jammed. I was able to get it open eventually but my extractor was broken. I found the part online but I want to make sure I do not do it again. Is there anything these rifles are known for that cause this?
You most likely loaded your round iike you would a Rem. 700. the mod. 70 is designed to load from the magazine. Not single loaded. Is this a pre 64?
The extractor will break if forced to snap over the rim instead of sliding around the rim. Hence controlled round feeding. Hope this helps. ... SEMPER FI ....... SARGESNIPER

I do not know what model 70 I have yet. I posted a thread trying to get some help figuring that out too. You are correct that I was single feeding it though. I thought that was better to not wear out the lanz or something. Should I not be single feeding my model 70?

Not sure what you mean here: "I thought that was better to not wear out the lanz or something"

Now there are lands in the barrel. Lands and grooves. Nothing in the way a cartridge enters the chamber will hurt the lands.

There are several varieties of bolt action rifles that must feed from the magazine because the extractor can't jump over the rim of the case. Mauser designs have that large piece of metal along side the bolt body which is called a claw extractor. They are also called a controlled feed design.

You may get away with making the extractor hop over the rim but eventually it will cause damage. If you have this type of extractor you would most likely notice that the bolt won't close easily when you close the bolt on a round you pushed into the chamber.

I am going to the other thread you started on what model 70 you have.....

Pull your bolt out and look at it. Which one does it look like(see picture)? If it is the bottom one you have either a pre-64 or a classic. Both of which need to be loaded from the magazine. The other version you can push feed a single round not in the magazine.

Attachments

• m70boltsum7.jpg
    m70boltsum7.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 120
I do not know what model 70 I have yet. I posted a thread trying to get some help figuring that out too. You are correct that I was single feeding it though. I thought that was better to not wear out the lanz or something. Should I not be single feeding my model 70?

Run the serial number using this site ( address below) and you will learn the year it was built. It's just a good habit to always shove the cartridge into the magazine before chambering with Winchesters as most are control feed.

Serial number date-range info.
Year of Manufacture information made available by Winchester Customer Service Dept. - Winchester Repeating Arms Article

Pull your bolt out and look at it. Which one does it look like(see picture)? If it is the bottom one you have either a pre-64 or a classic. Both of which need to be loaded from the magazine. The other version you can push feed a single round not in the magazine.

I have the top bolt

Run the serial number using this site ( address below) and you will learn the year it was built. It's just a good habit to always shove the cartridge into the magazine before chambering with Winchesters as most are control feed.

Serial number date-range info.
Year of Manufacture information made available by Winchester Customer Service Dept. - Winchester Repeating Arms Article

I tried using this chart before but it stops at G2027985 in 1992. My serial starts with G212xxxx.

Three questions: Do you reload? Were you shooting someone elses reloads? Did the round get stuck after it was fired? If any of these things happened, you may have experienced an overpressure round that stuck in your chamber. If this is the case, immediately stop doing what caused it (most likely a powder overcharge), fix your rifle and shoot lighter loads.

I do reload but the round that got stuck had not been fired. The round that got stuck and the round previously fired were both bare minimum powder loads. The broke off extractor was actually broke off between the shell and bolt where the shell sits.

Did you properly resize the cases before reloading? If there was substantial "swelling" of the case body, it could have become stuck tight enough during chambering to break your extractor, although that would be odd if the cases were fired in your rifle to begin with...

Big cat hunter,

Stuff wears out. The extractor can only hop over a rim so many times and something fatigues or loosens. Unfortunately the OP had his fail when a round was in the chamber causing a bind.

My push feed model 70 extractor failed to extract leaving the empty case in the chamber. The extractor blade had worn down and needed replacement.

To the OP get it repaired. Bet it will function fine with your handloads.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts