model 70 ?

mrbb

ok, I just picked up a model 70, in 30-06, its an old one, just missed the serial numbers for a pre 64, it number is 705xxx
Now i got it cheap! like $200.00, so, i wondering what to do with it, never build a gun off a winchester action, and not sure i want to!
so i am looking for ideas, or should i just resell it, for a profit! and get another remington action??
how about some ideas guy, also, what should i ask for it if I sell it, it in about 75% condition, just a plain jane model, the standard, and has an old redfield fixed 4 power on it!!
thanks!

That action is pleanty worthy of building on , can be made to shoot as well or better than any remington can , the action is stiffer than the Rem700 , Rifle basix makes a good trigger for them.
Get a medium Palma barrel , 1-9 twist 7mm cal and chamber it for 280 Ackley , presto you got a 1000yd deer rifle in the making

Darn skippy, build on that puppy! I love winchester actions. Between my two long range rigs the winchesters action of much smoother then the Reminton and I prefer the safety on my winchester. And like James already stated the action is stiffer then a remmy.

My personal opinion is build that winchester up to 6.5x55. That long action is perfect for that round and the 6.5 will make it to a grand with less then 30 moa drop. Not to mention that it is easy on barrels (in fact you could easily get 5k rounds out of a good barrel in this caliber).

I am eagerly waiting for a model 70 30-06 that I had re-barreled to 6.5-06 to get done for my son. I see no reason to not to build what you want on that action.

Steve

ok, I just picked up a model 70, in 30-06, its an old one, just missed the serial numbers for a pre 64, it number is 705xxx
Now i got it cheap! like $200.00, so, i wondering what to do with it, never build a gun off a winchester action, and not sure i want to!
so i am looking for ideas, or should i just resell it, for a profit! and get another remington action??
how about some ideas guy, also, what should i ask for it if I sell it, it in about 75% condition, just a plain jane model, the standard, and has an old redfield fixed 4 power on it!!
thanks!
I would sell it or trade it. As a matter of fact, today is your lucky day. I happen to have a remington action I would be willing to give you for that old piece of junk.:D

I just left a gun shop where a guy was downing the post 64 Winchester action (after seeing the cost of a custom gun built on one) and talking about how much superior the Savage was !!!
Anyway I had my fill and coulden't take the BS anymore so I asked him why he though this and he explained what a piece of crap the extractor and ejector system was and why anybody would even think about using one to build a custom action.

I happen to help this Archery/Gun shop out in my spare time so i was standing behind the counter , I reached over and took the bolt out of the Winchest rifle layed it on the counter and asked if that was the ejection system he was talking about and he agreed and continued , so i walked out to the truck and brought back n a box set it on the counter , then I took the bolt out of a Savage and layed it on the counter and asked all the customers to look at them both and tell me what they saw and all agreed that the extraction/ejection system was very similar !!! , then I opened the box I brough in and pulled out a $1100 Bat VR action I have and put the bolt on the counter and asked everybody to look at it and compair and they all agreed it was very similar !!!

Big mouth piped down and mentioned that he actualy had no first hand knowledge of any of the actions and that it was all just from what he had heard at the "huntin club" from some of the other "experts" that shoot long range all the time.

If the action you have is paid for then drop another $200 in it and have it blue printed properly and build on that rascle.

Luckly now days CDI is making a great detachable box mag system for these actions both long and short that uses AICs mags. so if you want a "tactical" style rifle you have a good option their.

thanks guys for all the imput, I always thought thata winchester actions were good, just you always see build ups on remington, so I womndered if there was any reason.
But before I build on this gun, is there any value to a 1964 model 70, I have very little into it, and if i could re sell and get more that i paid, I could use the extra to build something!!
If not then I will just build on this! thanks,

you could certainly get your money back out of it , maybe 50% more. If it shoots and is in decient condition I don't see whay you coulden't sell it for $300. Their are so much more build up goodies for the Rem 700 thats the reason that you see so many more built on them along with they are alot easier for the average part time smith to build up.

But if you sell it I would not buy a remington action to build on invest a bit more an get a custom action , for the cost of building up a remington right you can get a custom action and have most of your money back should you ever have to sell it.

But since you have the action I'd just build on it

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.