What to do with Pre 64 Model 70

3darcher2

Looking for some advice here. My dad picked up a pre 64 Model 70 in .264 Win Mag about 25 years ago from an estate. It was in pretty rough condition back then and I haven't seen it for years. I am guessing it might be a Model 70 Westerner based on some research?

Anyway, dad is 78 now and doesn't look to be getting around to shooting this rifle. He has a Sako in 264 that he's had since the '60s that has always been his go to rifle. So from what he tells me the gun needs a total refresh.

My question is does he have it reblued, put a Boyd's on it and sell it like that or is it worth it. If he has it reblued, I am thinking to just go with a matte finish.

On the other hand, maybe he's just better off to sell it like it is for the barrelled action or just the action.

I am going to try to get a look at it next time I am over, in the meantime, any thoughts?

If it's real rough it's not worth much. If it's re-conditioned with a Boyds stock it's not worth much. The barrel is not worth anything. The action has some value, depending on condition. I'd sell it as is if you don't want to build around the action....

Regardless of it's condition, it will net you more cash as is. If it has a nice action, I would be interested in buying it for the action. I would put a new barrel on it, probably a 30 caliber, and a new McMillan stock and keep it.

keep it as is try some factory loads or even copper clean it and shoot some hand load 120's they are pretty easy to get to shoot well

If your intention is to sell the rifle, my advice... As long as it's in original condition with honest wear, I would sell it as is. Even worn, the pre 64's command higher prices then the post 64 versions and most buyers of pre 64's, even if in rough condition, will only buy them if original.... unless they only want the action for their own custom project. I think it is unlikely that you gain any profit by performing a basic refresh. IMO

.......Regardless of it's condition, it will net you more cash as is. If it has a nice action, I would be interested in buying it for the action. I would put a new barrel on it, probably a 30 caliber, and a new McMillan stock and keep it.........

I think like this as well. More money for a stock, and extra's I don't want. A quick walk through the classifieds, looking at some of the losses taken on quality, used custom rifles could be useful to you.

Thanks to everyone that posted.

I haven't been able to get a look at it yet, but I get the feeling from dad that it is not quite as bad as it sounded before. Once I get a look I will check back in for an update.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.