Can you guess what caused this failure?

Cleaning rod left in the barrel. This is a buddy of mine, who let another buddy shoot the rifle.
No one seriously injured except the CA Mesa.
20210706_125043.jpg

It looks to me that the failure ( obstruction) or pressure started just at the front of the scope before it was near the fluting...note the bulge..wrong caliber or bullet possibly...OP...were you using reloads?
What i noticed is front part of barrel is intact and were it is bent is were all the damage is to the action so to me there was an obstruction right at the bend and pressure went reward untill it went to path of least resistance. Notice how barrel peeled in strips with fluting.

Last edited:
I had a friend leave the tamping rod in his .50 cal muzzel loader after loading. He shot it right next to me. It was louder than usual. He said to me after he shot it "Wow that one sure kicked!" We looked down range at 100 and his 2' X 3' plywood target was cut in half. The metal loading rod made it all the way to 100 yards and was flying sideways on impact. The TC Muzzel loader was fine and no damage.
Talk about lucky and thanks for TC with a THICK wall barrel.

Tikka had some barrels slip past QA/QC that were improperly stress relieved in their factory. Some of those barrels blew apart with normal pressured cartridges. There was an official Beretta/Tikka recall based on a limited range of rifle serial numbers.

I watched a video of one of those Tikka barrels blow completely off the action, when an elk hunter took a shot at an elk. His buddy was videoing the shot from behind the shooter, slightly to the right of shooter. My first thought was, Are you kidding me? The barrel only travelled maybe 10 feet. It was split longitudinally and completely separated from the action.
Shooter was OK. When the barrel ruptured it must have been brittle enough that all the energy was quickly released, and directed forward away from the shooter.

Theres not 1 gunsmith I know who does annealing on barrels let alone barrel manufacturers. If you ever been around barrel manufacturing you would see it highly unlikely and stress relieving or anything like that is the cause

Tikka had some barrels slip past QA/QC that were improperly stress relieved in their factory. Some of those barrels blew apart with normal pressured cartridges. There was an official Beretta/Tikka recall based on a limited range of rifle serial numbers.

I watched a video of one of those Tikka barrels blow completely off the action, when an elk hunter took a shot at an elk. His buddy was videoing the shot from behind the shooter, slightly to the right of shooter. My first thought was, Are you kidding me? The barrel only travelled maybe 10 feet. It was split longitudinally and completely separated from the action.
Shooter was OK. When the barrel ruptured it must have been brittle enough that all the energy was quickly released, and directed forward away from the shooter.
They had to really p

They would have screwed up royally to temper barrel steel that bad. Now I do know of a pre-fit that the threads were undersized that blew off the end of the action on a 338 Lapua Savage action.
I cant hardly believe they didn't notice something in the machining difference also.