Caliber suggestions

Eleazar

I recently acquired a 270wsm in a Remington 700 SPS SS (.540 bolt face in short action)

The original thought was to replace the barrel and turn it into a 7wsm as I already have a 270wsm set up for hunting (I may still do this).

I'm looking for caliber suggestions for the short action with the current .540 bolt face

**The gun will be used as a hunting rifle deer, bear, mule deer, elk.

I don't know if you are familiar with the Sherman Shortmag, but I have them in 6.5 thru 338, They will perform very near the comparable belted magnum in a true short action. (Less than 3" coal).....rich

I recently acquired a 270wsm in a Remington 700 SPS SS (.540 bolt face in short action)

The original thought was to replace the barrel and turn it into a 7wsm as I already have a 270wsm set up for hunting (I may still do this).

I'm looking for caliber suggestions for the short action with the current .540 bolt face

Your choices range from about 6.5mm to .338. Which way do you want to go? Bigger or smaller?

Do you have a bullet in mind and a desired velocity or general level of ballistic performance?

What is your desired gun weight? Barrel length/overall rifle length?

What kind of hunting do you do? Are you planning to hunt from a stand? Do you hike? Spot and stalk?

What is your level of recoil tolerance? Are you willing to consider a muzzle brake?

What is your budget for barrel, dies, and reloading components?

ETA: Well, heck. Looks like Rich was quicker on the trigger than I was!

Last edited:

7mm SS (Sherman Shortmag)

To me all of the WSM calibers are ballistic duplicates of one caliber or another...the only ones that stuck out to me as something that filled a niche was the 270wsm and the 325wsm. If I had to have a WSM it would be the 325...the bullet selection isn't that great for the 8mm compared to .30 or .338 but I just like having something different.

Hey Rich, you done any testing with the .300 Sherman or .300 SS with those new Berger 180 Elite Hunters? I'm curious to know your thoughts if you have. I'm still thinking about converting my '06AI into a .300 Sherman, and being that it as a 1:12 twist, I've been stuck to Berger 185 VLD's. I have been considering trying the new 180 Elite Hunters, but haven't had the cash to buy any yet (still in search of a new job, since my last one was a temp job). Was curious of your thoughts/opinions/review if you had any test time with them.

Will this require a 1:7" barrel??

I have seen some folks post measurements from pre-production samples of the Berger 155's. The 155's are reported to be 1.478 in length. If you plug that data into the Berger twist calculator, it spits out a twist recommendation of 1 in 7.75, though the SG of 1.49 is so close to the "ideal" 1.5 that the projected bc loss from an 8 twist is 0% under standard environmental conditions.

Shooters testing these bullets are reportedly doing so from 8 twist barrels, with good results. Berger is expected to roll these bullets out officially at this year's SHOT show. It will be interesting to see what the official bc and recommended twist numbers will be.

Last edited:
Hey Rich, you done any testing with the .300 Sherman or .300 SS with those new Berger 180 Elite Hunters? I'm curious to know your thoughts if you have. I'm still thinking about converting my '06AI into a .300 Sherman, and being that it as a 1:12 twist, I've been stuck to Berger 185 VLD's. I have been considering trying the new 180 Elite Hunters, but haven't had the cash to buy any yet (still in search of a new job, since my last one was a temp job). Was curious of your thoughts/opinions/review if you had any test time with them.
I have not tested the 180's but I would think they would perform quite well in that case.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.