New caliber for me, questions and suggestions

Any of the 6.5s

260, Yes factory barrels are to slow a twist
6.5CM, There is nothing wrong with this
6.5L, There is nothing wrong with this but you will not find a factory rifle
6.5x284 is the king if the kill here (pun).

in the 6mms
243, is again plagued by slow twist
6CM, Nothing wrong here.

After that you are looking at custom, start with a rifle you like and change the barrel.

I've watched a lot of Savage rifles shoot excellent groups out of the box and wouldn't balk at the CM offerings mentioned. Perhaps handloads, a bedded aftermarket stock and a good scope the Savage will get you the performance you're looking for. Would be great for our Az javelina, antelope and deer species. Good luck

I've watched a lot of Savage rifles shoot excellent groups out of the box and wouldn't balk at the CM offerings mentioned. Perhaps handloads, a bedded aftermarket stock and a good scope the Savage will get you the performance you're looking for. Would be great for our Az javelina, antelope and deer species. Good luck

The Savage 6.5CM I have been exposed to have all be excellent out of the box.

Any of the 6.5s

260, Yes factory barrels are to slow a twist
6.5CM, There is nothing wrong with this
6.5L, There is nothing wrong with this but you will not find a factory rifle
6.5x284 is the king if the kill here (pun).

in the 6mms
243, is again plagued by slow twist
6CM, Nothing wrong here.

After that you are looking at custom, start with a rifle you like and change the barrel.

All the new model Rem 700 .260's have a 1:8 twist.

Wow, cool. It the link to the one on Bud's is for an 8tw, the OP should get it.

If you're referring to the 700 5R Gen2 .260 that I linked him to, then yes, it is a 24" heavy threaded 1:8 twist. The new SPS and VTR in .260 are also 1:8 twist. And the new 700 Magpul .260 (22" heavy threaded 1:8 barrel).

I am a big .243 fan, but you are not getting a factory rifle in that cartridge with the correct twist for the heavier bullets like stated before. Like others have posted, either the Savage in 6.5 Creedmoor or the Remington in .260 will be about your best bet. The Savage is the better price, and from what I am seeing, they are shooting better out of the box than the newer made Model 700s. I am a die hard Remington fan, but there's no denying how accurate the out of the box Savage rifles are. I would lean more towards the 24" barrel simply to get the added muzzle velocity and energy down range, just my opinion. Hope you end up with one of these rifles!

The 5R barreled Remingtons are as good, or better than the Savages out of the box. Mine average 1/4-1/2 MOA, and occasionally sub-1/4 MOA. Not to mention the 5R rifling is much easier to clean and collects less copper, allowing more shots between cleanings.

I have to agree with MudRunner on this one. Even though the 5Rs are north of $1000 I think they are worth saving for. Exceptional guns for the price.

Regarding barrel length: A short, threaded barrel would be a good option for using a suppressor and shooting steel at long range. The 6.5s with high-BC bullets really benefit from a longer barrel in the velocity department though. If you want to hunt at long range you'll be glad to have that extra velocity you can get from a 24-26" barrel.

The 5R barreled Remingtons are as good, or better than the Savages out of the box. Mine average 1/4-1/2 MOA, and occasionally sub-1/4 MOA. Not to mention the 5R rifling is much easier to clean and collects less copper, allowing more shots between cleanings.

Savage is making rifles with 5r barrels that still come in less expensive than the Remington 5r. Granted the Remington is a better action but no one can deny the accuracy of the new savage rifles and for they're price point it can't be beat.

I have 6 groove barrels and one 5R barrel and once they are broken in they are all easy to clean. I have heard the new 5R Remingtons shoot well, but you sure do pay to get one. The 5R may collect less copper, but from my experience there's not a huge difference and I don't see it being worth $400-500 more. Remington needs to wake up and start making rifles like they use too. I have only had one bad Remington so far and it still shot 3/4 MOA but nothing to write home about. They seem to be hit or miss anymore because my .243 shoots 1/4 MOA to 1/2 MOA and it's the cheapest one I have lol

I have 6 groove barrels and one 5R barrel and once they are broken in they are all easy to clean. I have heard the new 5R Remingtons shoot well, but you sure do pay to get one. The 5R may collect less copper, but from my experience there's not a huge difference and I don't see it being worth $400-500 more. Remington needs to wake up and start making rifles like they use too. I have only had one bad Remington so far and it still shot 3/4 MOA but nothing to write home about. They seem to be hit or miss anymore because my .243 shoots 1/4 MOA to 1/2 MOA and it's the cheapest one I have lol

If I have had 1, I have had a ten 6-groove barrels. Only 1 ever gave me a problem with accuracy, and it was a sporter .338 WinMag barrel (shot softball sized groups at 100). I'm not knocking the ole' faithful 6-groove, because I still have a bunch of them on rifles, but when they wear out, they're getting a 5R replacement. Once broken-in (or hand-lapped) the standard rifled barrels will also collect very little copper and will retain accuracy longer between cleanings. Most of my 6-grooves have been hand-lapped, but my standard broken-in 6-groove barrels are just as smooth and easy to clean as my 5R barrels. They are also capable of just as good of accuracy. That being said, not everybody has a gunsmith handy, and not everybody wants to buy a new rifle, and run it to the smith for a full accruing package (if they don't know how to do this themselves). For those folks, the 5R rifles are the best out of the box option.

You do pay to get one, but IMO, if you want one of the best factory rifles with the best factory action, in one of the best factory-offered stocks (HS Precision)...The 5R series Remingtons are where it's at. Also, don't forget, those HS Precision stocks are $400 by themselves, so that's where a lot of that up-pricing comes from on the 5R, Sendero, and specialty model rifles. Plus, the stainless finish with the jeweled bolt is usually about $100 more than chrome moly and blued finish. So, that would explain the $500 difference in price right there.

Savage is making rifles with 5r barrels that still come in less expensive than the Remington 5r. Granted the Remington is a better action but no one can deny the accuracy of the new savage rifles and for they're price point it can't be beat.

Yep! TC Arms are also using 5R barrels and they too are quite the shooter out of the box. Their compass model can be had for under $400 and already threaded for a muzzle device.

If I have had 1, I have had a ten 6-groove barrels. Only 1 ever gave me a problem with accuracy, and it was a sporter .338 WinMag barrel (shot softball sized groups at 100). I'm not knocking the ole' faithful 6-groove, because I still have a bunch of them on rifles, but when they wear out, they're getting a 5R replacement. Once broken-in (or hand-lapped) the standard rifled barrels will also collect very little copper and will retain accuracy longer between cleanings. Most of my 6-grooves have been hand-lapped, but my standard broken-in 6-groove barrels are just as smooth and easy to clean as my 5R barrels. They are also capable of just as good of accuracy. That being said, not everybody has a gunsmith handy, and not everybody wants to buy a new rifle, and run it to the smith for a full accruing package (if they don't know how to do this themselves). For those folks, the 5R rifles are the best out of the box option.

You do pay to get one, but IMO, if you want one of the best factory rifles with the best factory action, in one of the best factory-offered stocks (HS Precision)...The 5R series Remingtons are where it's at. Also, don't forget, those HS Precision stocks are $400 by themselves, so that's where a lot of that up-pricing comes from on the 5R, Sendero, and specialty model rifles. Plus, the stainless finish with the jeweled bolt is usually about $100 more than chrome moly and blued finish. So, that would explain the $500 difference in price right there.

Yeah this is very true with all the options it has I can see where the costs add up. I think my next rifle is just going to be a semi custom on a 700 action with a Bartlein barrel. After doing this last one, I am spoiled. Loads are easy to develop and there's practically no break in period and no frustration. It's nice to buy a complete factory rifle ready to go, but it's all a gamble and few of them are as forgiving as custom barrels as far as bullet, powder, primer combos.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts