Re-barrel caliber suggestions please.

scotsgun

So i have an old Winchester 70 Featherweight in 22-250 with a burnt out barrel collecting dust at the back of the cupboard. I'd like to do something with it and was considering a synthetic stock, trigger job and re-barrel. Ideally i'd like to have a rifle that i can use on the occasional mid sized deer (Roe deer here in Europe) and fox. Say 300-600yds.

So, what caliber would you have it re-barrelled in?

CIMG0616.jpg

CIMG0617.jpg

CIMG0619.jpg

Cheers

So i have an old Winchester 70 Featherweight in 22-250 with a burnt out barrel collecting dust at the back of the cupboard. I'd like to do something with it and was considering a synthetic stock, trigger job and re-barrel. Ideally i'd like to have a rifle that i can use on the occasional mid sized deer (Roe deer here in Europe) and fox. Say 300-600yds.

So, what caliber would you have it re-barrelled in?

Cheers

I'd agree that 22-250 isn't a good choice for deer at 600 yards. My choice would be 6.5x47 Lapua. It won't require bolt or magazine modification, just a new barrel. Compare it's wind deflection and delivered energy to other cartridges which would easily fit the action. Only change the stock if it doesn't fit YOU. Also keep the same barrel contour and length and finish. Win 70 triggers of that vintage were excellent.

I can't wait t get the new accubond VLD, I have built 15 6.5x47 Lapua and believe with the new bullets it will only get better for deer sized game at extended ranges.

You might want a little more power and try the 6.5-284 Norma. It too uses the same bolt face as the 22-250 and fits the short action. It duplicates the ballistics of the 6.5-06.

I would turn that thing into my walking, hunting rifle in 6mmBR. Keep the stock but lightly sand and re-finish, keep barrel contour the same but add 2-4 inches and get the 1-8" twist.
As others on here will attest; the 6mmBR is stupid accurate. It's almost unbelieveable just how accurate this little 6mm is! (check out www.6mmBR.com)
JohnnyK.

Another vote for the 6.5x47 for reasons mentioned. The 6.5x284 is a great cartridge but would be very crowded in a SA with long high BC bullets.

You might be able to tune the trigger yourself. I've got an M 70 Coyote in 22-250 and was able to tune the trigger to a crisp 1 lb. Your's looks a good bit older though so it might be a different trigger?

As you know Roe deer are small. For those who don't, we're talking 40-80lbs LIVE weight.

I would go with a 6mm variant. There are a lot of options. I personally shoot 243 and 243 AI. Check out 6mmbr.com

If you do go bigger than 6mm, the 6.5x47 would be my only choice.

I have winchester like yours in 243 I nocked the magazine block out filed the bolt stop back the same length as the block and put a muaser follower in it got a new barrel in 284 over all maggazine length is 3.2 inches work out great 6.5 284 you bet

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.