New caliber for me, questions and suggestions

Well said Jud96 I totally agree. Might get lucky with a factory rifle. I've never had a bad barrel from any of the main barrel builders. Plus it is a lot of fun looking for and collecting all the parts to build your own gun.

Yeah this is very true with all the options it has I can see where the costs add up. I think my next rifle is just going to be a semi custom on a 700 action with a Bartlein barrel. After doing this last one, I am spoiled. Loads are easy to develop and there's practically no break in period and no frustration. It's nice to buy a complete factory rifle ready to go, but it's all a gamble and few of them are as forgiving as custom barrels as far as bullet, powder, primer combos.

This is what I've been doing for years...Pawn shop special donor 700's. I mentally build the rifle, go find me a donor action, order and get all my parts in, and then take it to the smith. The only reason I got that 2nd 5R .300WM was because I only paid $100 bill for it after I traded in my InAccuMark .257 Wby. Can't beat a $1,300 rifle for $100... :cool:

I will say this, my 5R .308 Win, has shot everything from 168's up to 210's into bughole groups. It's not picky at all, and the only thing I've done to that gun was a trigger swap, and torqued the action screws to 65 inch-pounds.

This is what I've been doing for years...Pawn shop special donor 700's. I mentally build the rifle, go find me a donor action, order and get all my parts in, and then take it to the smith. The only reason I got that 2nd 5R .300WM was because I only paid $100 bill for it after I traded in my InAccuMark .257 Wby. Can't beat a $1,300 rifle for $100... :cool:

I will say this, my 5R .308 Win, has shot everything from 168's up to 210's into bughole groups. It's not picky at all, and the only thing I've done to that gun was a trigger swap, and torqued the action screws to 65 inch-pounds.

I may be turning my .270 into a donor if it doesn't shoot after I finish upgrading it. I might make a thread on it. Have to redo the bedding (previous owner had it done) and a few other things. Never payed much attention to it because it was just a deer rifle and it has always shot pretty decent until the last couple years.

I may be turning my .270 into a donor if it doesn't shoot after I finish upgrading it. I might make a thread on it. Have to redo the bedding (previous owner had it done) and a few other things. Never payed much attention to it because it was just a deer rifle and it has always shot pretty decent until the last couple years.

I know you're a .30 cal fan... You should build you either a .25-06 AI, 6.5 Sherman, .280 Sherman, or .300 Sherman. That way you can still utilize all those .270 Win cases. :cool:

I know you're a .30 cal fan... You should build you either a .25-06 AI, 6.5 Sherman, .280 Sherman, or .300 Sherman. That way you can still utilize all those .270 Win cases. :cool:

Yeah I know I have been tossing it around. I haven't really messed with this rifle for 4-5 years and the bedding was old Accra-glass and wasn't done very well, action screws were not tight at all, I figure that was caused by the bedding shrinking over time and just never really checking them. It's a deer rifle and it was just taken out, shot a few times, then put back into the safe every year after I got other rifles to shoot. Apparently I wasn't very good at cleaning barrels when I was younger because it was really fouled up with copper. I figure after pillar bedding, removing the bedded bump in the barrel, and working up a new load, it should be back to how it was when I first got it or better. The 6.5, .280, and .300 Sherman/Ackleys still haunt me haha, I would like to have one of the three. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts