Bullets With Grooves

It's a feature that I think is important with homogeneous bullets. Being longer due to lacking density produces inherent issues regarding increased engraving forces, fouling, overall friction in the bore, etc

Now I would like to talk about this. I think what was implied is that copper bullets are longer for their weight due to being 20% less dense than lead by volume. I am not sure how that translates into a blanket statement implying there is more engraving pressure, copper fouling, and more overall friction.

A copper bullet of identical form to a cup and core bullet will have more or less engraving pressure depending on the bore diameter of the rifle. If a bore is loose the copper bullet would fail to seal the bore well resulting in lower pressure. If the bore is tight it would result in higher pressure. Has zero to do with material density and everything to do with malleability.

Copper bullets have more copper fouling because of material density. Again not true. Copper fouling varies from bullet to bullet regardless of weather or not it has a lead core. Copper fouling is ultimately caused by the roughness of barrel and the alloy of the jacket or mono. Nothing to do with copper weighing 20% less by volume.

More overall friction from mono bullets due to material density. Again not true for the same reasons listed for the first two.

I am very open to discussing this and I have no intent on shutting down this thread. The longer this thread continues the more information people will get regarding mono bullets and the blanket false statements, about them, that are passed on as fact.
Interesting!

Her is another article. CNC Swiss screw machines were invented in the 60's and became available in the 70's. This means Nosler was turning jackets on a manual lathe.

My guess is he used a Browne & Sharpe screw machine which used custom cams, Not CNC.

We call our drive band design Parabolic Drag Reduction. It is in reference to the parabolic shape of the drive bands. Other than that I have never heard of parabolic drag. If I have not heard of it I assume most others here have not either. Maybe I am the only one in the dark here.

I also have never heard that material density of copper being 20% less than lead being a cause for higher engraving pressure.

You all can take it how ever you like. If I knew the answers to the questions I would have joined the conversation and added what we knew about the subject and how we have dealt with these issues.

Steve, I'm not going to parse this thread to check to see if anyone offered this already, but parabolic drag is a term often used in scientific areas like aerodynamics and hence Aerospace Engineering. You might enjoy reading about how the parabolic drag model was found to be inadequate by such folks when trying to break the sound barrier.

I don't need to read anything. I stop follwing this thread. Like I said, only get notified when I am quoted.
So, like when I see a thread on Hammers, I do not join, when you hammer disciples see a thread on something else, leave it alone. You are just making things worse. Like there is more than Browning and Remington, there is also more to hammers, enough to go around. The more your master interjects himself, the more people walk away.
have a good day
Over and out!

Are you smoking something other than tabaco?

Steve, I'm not going to parse this thread to check to see if anyone offered this already, but parabolic drag is a term often used in scientific areas like aerodynamics and hence Aerospace Engineering. You might enjoy reading about how the parabolic drag model was found to be inadequate by such folks when trying to break the sound barrier.

After he gets his Ph.D in wiki/Drag curve will his bullets get better?

I tried some Barns all copper bullet over 20 year ago. Two things I am believer in is: Accuracies, and velocity. They are my friends. I couldn't get them to group under 1", and the velocity was down by several hundred fps. There was several steps in setting up to reload at that time for me. My groups had to be about 1/2" or under @ 100yds. In all the rifles I have reloaded for I achieved that. I change primers, powder, bullets, but finally moved to Nosler ballistic tips at the time in my rifles. I've been doing a lot of reading on Hammer bullets, I got box of them. Looked them over very hard. I like what I see in how they built them. The other is I didn't have a rifle that had the twist in the barrel to handle them. I do now, and will begin here shortly to work up loads using Hammer bullets. I wouldn't kick them until you have used them with the proper equipment to read them going down range. In the years time in getting the rifle built, it has taken me that much time to acquire the components to develop the loads for the rifle. I am still short on or don't have H1000 or Varget powders. I use very little other powders other than the H powders. I hunt in weather from -20 and even below that, to 110+ degree. So I don't use powder that can't handle the temperature changes. With all the reading I have done on Hammer bullets, I feel they have come up with bullet that will be hard beat for a very long time. Adding to this, and kind of stated above. In looking at the Hammer bullet I can see there bullet will be lot easier to push down the tube. without even used them yet. As Hammer explains about. The Barns bullets long time ago were very hard to push down the barrel, and felt at that time because they wouldn't conform to the barrel they were being pushed down. Hammer I feel has changed all that.

Last edited:

Recent Posts