Bullets for crocs?

EXPRESS

I've just come back from Mozambique, went there to hunt hippo with my bow and learned of a very very big croc that hangs out in a pool.

I am considering going back for him and want to take my .300 win mag in case we have to set up for a "long shot" by African standards. I am talking about 200 yards, definately no more than 300.

Has anyone used a 168gn SMK on a croc? It's a head shot only hunt, but the skull is fairly thick. I needs to be placed very accurately because the target is quite small, which is the reason I am leaning towards the 168SMK - it is the most accurate bullet out of my rifle at 0.3MOA.

The other thing that might interest me is that I can get a free hippo if I shoot him from a ways off. The concession owner was so intrigued by the possibility and basically a non believer that he said I could have a free hippo if I shoot him from 400 or 500 yards. You're looking at a 4" - 6" target there so it's not that hard a shot, but I'm wondering again, if the 220gn SMK or the 210 Berger hunting bullet will be up to it.

Maybe a good monometal bullet?

I believe any of those bullets would work if the PH would allow you to shoot that caliber. I have killed lots of American Alligators with just a lil 22 long rifle, of course that was cull hunting at a gator farm. But all aside the skull plate of an alligator or crocidile is very hard, but you are shooting them underneith that, in really the only soft spot in the whole animal. So your 210 grain berger or Mtch king should make a very nasty mess. I also see many brought in the taxidermy shop shot with almost every caliber around, if you want to mount it be very careful in your shot placement, and your taxidermist will have to do some reconstruction, lol. :D

I've used some SMK's before they react about the same as FMJ or solid bullets do. I went out and shot 1/2 inch steel swinging targets. If the bullet can go through steel at 200 yards Mr. Crock's brain doesn't stand a chance

Same here, I shot a 338 RUM at 600 yards with a 250 grain SMK on a 1/2 steel plate and it punched right through, like an ice pick!

The croc is not going to be that difficult, almost anything will do and its a small target at any range so accuracy counts. As for the Hippo, I would suggest Barnes and/or Barnes solids. You definitely want a proven bullet that will penetrate especially in the 30 cal.

I would go with the Barnes tipped TSX. IMO, it has the best repeatable, terminal performance. We don't talk about them as much on LRH because their BC's don't measure up to some of the other heavy-for-caliber bullets out there. When we are talking about non-dangerous game, we can afford to give a little on the performance side to pick up some down-range accuracy afford by higher BC bullets. But a croc is not an elk or deer and 200 yards means little or nothing to BC requirements. I'd go with a Barnes or a Swift A-frame. Most PH's are good with either of those choices.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.