bullet suggestions for 300 win mag

jammer300

I'm having trouble finding a good load for my 300 win mag for hunting primarily deer and elk. I have been trying some Barnes TTSX and TSX in 168 gr. I am not having any luck getting groups under 2" at 100 yards. I have tried different powders, primers and seating depths and am wondering if I should try a different bullet or maybe at least a heavier like the BARNES LRX 175 gr. I like the solid copper bullets but I am not against trying something new. My rifle has a 1:10 twist if that helps. Thanks for any suggestions

I can highly recommend the 200 barnes lrx. I am loading them with h1000 to about 2970 fps in my remington adl and they shoot very very well.

just got back from africa where they performed flawlessly out to 500 yards which is as far as i shot there. my load was norma brass, rem 9 1/2 mag primers, light crimp with lee factory crimp die and 74 grains of H1000.

I like the 200gr Nosler Accubond myself.
I don't understand why people use anything lighter than 180gr bullets in 300 magnums.
The optimum bullet weight for the flattest trajectory is 200-210gr in the 300's, this would also include the 215gr Berger.

Cheers.
gun)

I don't understand why people use anything lighter than 180gr bullets in 300 magnums.
The optimum bullet weight for the flattest trajectory is 200-210gr in the 300's, this would also include the 215gr Berger.

Cheers.
gun)

Agreed, light bullets does the .300 no justice in my opinion. Any thing lighter than a 200 I'll shoot my -06.

I have a 30-06 and have shot 168 gr bullets for years out of it and because I have so many of them I thought it would be a good bullet to start with but after trying them for quite awhile I agree that I should be using a heavier bullet in my magnum. Thanks everyone for your help. And while I'm here has anyone had any luck with bullets in the 200-215 gr using IMR 7828?

THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE SUGGESTIONS. I was able to find some 208 gr. AMAX bullets at the store the other day and was not able to find any 200 gr accubonds. A buddy of mine had some 215 gr. hybrids he said he would be willing to let me try if I didnt have luck with the AMAX's first. I went to the range sunday and again today and shot a few different loads and my best group both days was sub 1/2" at 100 yards with 69.8 gr. of IMR7828 rem. #9 1/2 m magnum primers and FC casings with the bullet 0.106 off the lands ( that's the closest I can get the bullet to the lands due to my magazine box).I'm not sure about velocity yet because the chrono was not working today but going by what the Hornady book says im guessing it between 2700 and 2800 fps. I'm pretty happy with that load now I just have to try it out at further distances.:) Oh and rinodods I appreciate the offer but with deer season right around the corner I still have about 80 of my AMAX's and that should be more than enough. I should only need one right?

Cheers.
gun)

Yep!

.308 = 150-168gr
.30-06 = 168-180gr.
.300 WM = 180gr and up

Just seems to be where those cartridges are the most efficient.

THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE SUGGESTIONS. I was able to find some 208 gr. AMAX bullets at the store the other day and was not able to find any 200 gr accubonds. A buddy of mine had some 215 gr. hybrids he said he would be willing to let me try if I didnt have luck with the AMAX's first. I went to the range sunday and again today and shot a few different loads and my best group both days was sub 1/2" at 100 yards with 69.8 gr. of IMR7828 rem. #9 1/2 m magnum primers and FC casings with the bullet 0.106 off the lands ( that's the closest I can get the bullet to the lands due to my magazine box).I'm not sure about velocity yet because the chrono was not working today but going by what the Hornady book says im guessing it between 2700 and 2800 fps. I'm pretty happy with that load now I just have to try it out at further distances.:) Oh and rinodods I appreciate the offer but with deer season right around the corner I still have about 80 of my AMAX's and that should be more than enough. I should only need one right?
I think the 208gr Amax is one of the best bullets for the win mag.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts