Re-barreling a 300 Win Mag looking for suggestions

blvette75

This is a very good forum, I enjoy learing from folks in this forum. Have a older Savage 110 currently Long action 300 Win Mag, have purchased another rifle in 300 Win Mag a Browning BAR that will take its place as an Elk hunting rifle almost dialed in. Currently have several rifles in 6.5 Creedmoor, like the accuracy and shootability (low recoil) as my Bergara was shooting factory ammunition non-match through the same ragged hole during break in of the barrel seems to like 140-143 grain bullets best. But kind of astounded at the accuracy of the caliber.

I was looking at a 6.5 PRC some of the articles I have read, indicate its the best thing since sliced bread but after reading some of the posts here I thought I would ask for an opinion. It seems there may be much better options with a long action rifle to re-barrel. Looking at a hand lapped Shilen Savage Pre-fit barrels 26 inch long,(reasonable price) will use a break or a linear compensator or a suppressor on it.

My criteria long range shooting bench rest, maybe some hunting with it. I want to use the same bolt face, and stock (at first). I don't want the barrels to wear out too quickly(would like similar wear to 300 win mag current barrel is about 27 years old about 1100-1200 shots probably a bit more still shooting good sat for about 8 years), and would like the availability of some factory ammunition at not too high of a price, rules out the Weatherby cartridges. I am not an avid re-loader but when I find a round a rifle appears to like I will make reloads of it, the old Savage as it stands likes a reload of the factory federal 180 nosler partition bullet typically shoots 0.5 MOA at a 100 yards, probably better with a better shooter as on a good day I can two of three shots through the same hole. Was a period of time I stopped shooting all together, and started up again about 7-8 years ago, recently have built an AR10 in 6.5 Creedmoor, took a quite a while to tune it but now it is almost as accurate as the Bergara. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

How does it do with Long range shooting as far a bench rest?

My gun was a 110 FCP HS Precision. I bought it as a 300 Win Mag, had the barrel pulled, action trued, and the 7 RM barrel screwed on. Im still in the load development phase, maybe 70-80 rounds down the tube, it hasn't grouped anything above 1 moa out to 200 yards, the furthest my clubs range goes. I think with me behind the trigger it will be a consistent half moa gun, better in the hands of someone more proficient than myself. It shoots everything I feed it from 140 VLD's up to the 180 ELD Match.

If your going to build a 7mm, the 7mm saum or 280 ai are good choices. If your building a bench gun and want to go single shot a 338 edge is awesome.

All of the calibers mentioned are great options. I try and stick to what i can get my hands on component wise, i was thinking about going 300 PRC instead of 300WM, but stuck with the WM due to component quality (mostly brass)

Will a 7mm Magnum or 7mm saum or 280 ai use the same bolt face as my 300 WM? I had not considered a 7mm mag but have heard performance was on par with a 300 WM, I have read the 7mm saum and 280 AI are better performers but would have a shorter barrel life. I know it is not that expensive swap out the bolt face.

The reason I started off with a 6.5 PRC was it was the same bolt face and I had bullets and another 6.5 muzzle brake.

I did not think my blind mag 300 WM would feed a 300 PRC but I measured it today and it should, I do have many 308 bullets including some heavy weights up to 230 grain so that's an advantage.

Will a 7mm Magnum or 7mm saum or 280 ai use the same bolt face as my 300 WM? I had not considered a 7mm mag but have heard performance was on par with a 300 WM, I have read the 7mm saum and 280 AI are better performers but would have a shorter barrel life. I know it is not that expensive swap out the bolt face.

The reason I started off with a 6.5 PRC was it was the same bolt face and I had bullets and another 6.5 muzzle brake.

I did not think my blind mag 300 WM would feed a 300 PRC but I measured it today and it should, I do have many 308 bullets including some heavy weights up to 230 grain so that's an advantage.

7 Rem Mag uses the same bolt face, case is similar to a 300 WM just a little shorter. 264 Win Mag would be my suggestion if you want to go 6.5mm. Those two will be a direct replacement without switching bolt face and box mag. Plus you have a long action, run a long action cartridge. Just my .02

The switching of a bolt face on a savage takes about 5 minutes. Super easy to do

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.