Re-barreling a 300 Win Mag looking for suggestions

Sounds like you have 6.5 and 30 caliber covered. I would do 338 wm or another 300 wm. Not enough difference to me in a 7 mag and 300 wm, but I have both lol.

Easy choice for me, .308 Norma Mag in a Palma contour twisted & throated for the heavies, but then that will be my own next build. NSS says they chamber it. Given the slightly shorter case body length you get a bit more room in the mag, any mag, for COAL.

Last edited:
Consider 28 Nosler. There is good brass available in both factory and after market. It will drive a heavy bullet quickly. It's a short case for a long action giving you plenty of room for the long heavy bullets everyone is making. I have found it to be accurate and way to load for.

I have both (7RM & 300WM) and have hunted and shot steel with both out to 1200yds for several years. While the two calibers are similar in the fact they are considered "magnums" and they will both shoot heavy for caliber projectiles very well if outfitted accordingly. Having said all of that, the 300WM starts to pull away from the 7RM in terms of energy and wind deflection when you get past 600yds.
Just my .02 but the 7RM has become one of my all time favorites for covering all of the bases without getting into obnoxious amounts of powder, recoil, and respectable barrel life with easy to find components. I hunt elk once a year if I'm lucky enough to draw a tag but hunt deer 45+ days a year with liberal bag limits here in the southeast. I've killed a few elk and ALOT of deer with both calibers and neither will do you wrong, but if I lived out west and hunted elk on the regular Id probably go with the 300WM or maybe even the new 300PRC, but wouldn't worry at all if 7RM was my only rifle.

Just started working on 7mm Mag again after a decade of not having one. The newish 175 ELD-X and 180 ELD-M bullets are near magical. Particularly the 180 ELD-M. Based on LabRadar data, I've calculated the B.C. of both bullets, and the 175 will fully stabilize in my 1:9.5 twist, but the M is coming in short on B.C. (and erratic), though it seems to group pretty good.

With a 1:8 or 8.5 twist, you will have a 0.401 G7 B.C. (0.796 G1) bullet, which you can drive upwards of 2900 fps easily in a 24" tube, perhaps approaching 3000 fps in a 26" barrel.

For perspective on why this thing is near magical, in a 12 lb rifle, spring weather, 2500 ft elevation...

225 ELD-M in 300 RUM - ~2950 fps, 0.777 B.C., 37.1 ftlbs recoil, supersonic to ~1980 yds
285 ELD-M in 338 Lapua - ~2850 fps, 0.829 B.C., 42.5 ftlbs recoil, supersonic to ~2020 yds
208 ELD-M in 300 WM - ~2900 fps, 0.690 B.C., 24.1 ftlbs recoil, supersonic to ~1720 yds
180 ELD-M in 7mm RM - ~2950 fps, 0.796 B.C., 18.9 ftlbs recoil, supersonic to ~2020 yds

Ballistically, the thing is hanging right in there with ultra mags, but at half the recoil and probably half the cost per round. It's even outrunning the venerable 300 Win Mag. Obviously it doesn't have the horsepower of the bigger bores, but in terms of wind/drop it's equal or better.

7mm mag has millions of options for factory ammo and reloading components, and with the aforementioned 175 ELD-X (0.689 B.C.) it will flatten an elk out past 700 yds. Stick a 140 or 160 class bullet in there, and you've got a laser-death-ray for deer out to 400 yds.

Granted, this is all based on the hope that the 180 ELD-M will shoot well in your custom barrel, but that's not a long shot bet. I've tried 5 different ELD-M's, in 3 calibers, and they've grouped as well or better than any other bullet.

Just started working on 7mm Mag again after a decade of not having one. The newish 175 ELD-X and 180 ELD-M bullets are near magical. Particularly the 180 ELD-M. Based on LabRadar data, I've calculated the B.C. of both bullets, and the 175 will fully stabilize in my 1:9.5 twist, but the M is coming in short on B.C. (and erratic), though it seems to group pretty good.

With a 1:8 or 8.5 twist, you will have a 0.401 G7 B.C. (0.796 G1) bullet, which you can drive upwards of 2900 fps easily in a 24" tube, perhaps approaching 3000 fps in a 26" barrel.

For perspective on why this thing is near magical, in a 12 lb rifle, spring weather, 2500 ft elevation...

225 ELD-M in 300 RUM - ~2950 fps, 0.777 B.C., 37.1 ftlbs recoil, supersonic to ~1980 yds
285 ELD-M in 338 Lapua - ~2850 fps, 0.829 B.C., 42.5 ftlbs recoil, supersonic to ~2020 yds
208 ELD-M in 300 WM - ~2900 fps, 0.690 B.C., 24.1 ftlbs recoil, supersonic to ~1720 yds
180 ELD-M in 7mm RM - ~2950 fps, 0.796 B.C., 18.9 ftlbs recoil, supersonic to ~2020 yds

Ballistically, the thing is hanging right in there with ultra mags, but at half the recoil and probably half the cost per round. It's even outrunning the venerable 300 Win Mag. Obviously it doesn't have the horsepower of the bigger bores, but in terms of wind/drop it's equal or better.

7mm mag has millions of options for factory ammo and reloading components, and with the aforementioned 175 ELD-X (0.689 B.C.) it will flatten an elk out past 700 yds. Stick a 140 or 160 class bullet in there, and you've got a laser-death-ray for deer out to 400 yds.

Granted, this is all based on the hope that the 180 ELD-M will shoot well in your custom barrel, but that's not a long shot bet. I've tried 5 different ELD-M's, in 3 calibers, and they've grouped as well or better than any other bullet.

Good stuff here, have you compared ft.lbs. of energy at say 1K yards? to me Its all kind of a mute point though, an elk @ 600 yards won't really know the difference of a well placed shot between the 4 cartridges listed.

Good stuff here, have you compared ft.lbs. of energy at say 1K yards? to me Its all kind of a mute point though, an elk @ 600 yards won't really know the difference of a well placed shot between the 4 cartridges listed.

Since the velocities and B.C.s are all in the same ballpark, you can take the ratio of the weights to get an idea of energy differences. It won't be perfect, as they are a little different, but it will get you close. For example, the 300 WM 208 ELD-M vs the 175 ELD-X, the ELD-X will have approximately 84% (175/208 x 100) of the energy of the 300 WM at any given distance.

I am in the process of finalizing my load, but have the 180 ELD-M shooting accurately around 3,000 fps out of my 26" 1:8T stainless Criterion barreled 7mm RM. It was pretty easy to get it to shoot well.

two for the .264 WinMag and if I am not mistaken the extra muzzle brake I had for the Creedmoor rifles with work and the bullets will all work. How is the barrel life with this round is it similar to the 300 Win Mag?

I am in the process of finalizing my load, but have the 180 ELD-M shooting accurately around 3,000 fps out of my 26" 1:8T stainless Criterion barreled 7mm RM. It was pretty easy to get it to shoot well.

The recoil energy of the 7mm has gotten my attention thank you for your chart. I really like that it is the same bullet type for an Apples to Apples comparison. The bullet weight at a 180 grain is the same weight I use for my 300 WM. for Elk my elevation is about 2500-3000 ft higher in Colorado, but thanks I appreciate the feedback. Do you use a muzzle brake on your rifle?

two for the .264 WinMag and if I am not mistaken the extra muzzle brake I had for the Creedmoor rifles with work and the bullets will all work. How is the barrel life with this round is it similar to the 300 Win Mag?
Barrel life will be less than a 300 Win Mag all other things being equal, the 264 is more overbore. Can't say for sure how long a barrel will last for you, probably not more than 1,200, but just a guess.

The recoil energy of the 7mm has gotten my attention thank you for your chart. I really like that it is the same bullet type for an Apples to Apples comparison. The bullet weight at a 180 grain is the same weight I use for my 300 WM. for Elk my elevation is about 2500-3000 ft higher in Colorado, but thanks I appreciate the feedback. Do you use a muzzle brake on your rifle?
I don't run brakes on my 7mm Rem Mag's. My Savage with the Criterion weighs about 11.5lbs scoped and with a make shift cheek rest and a limbsaver recoil pad, I can shoot it all day.

I don't run brakes on my 7mm Rem Mag's. My Savage with the Criterion weighs about 11.5lbs scoped and with a make shift cheek rest and a limbsaver recoil pad, I can shoot it all day.
After doing some comparisons yesterday on boxed ammunition choices and availability of reloading components (brass mainly) available locally here decided that between the .264 win mag and the 7mm rem mag, I decided on the 7mm Rem Mag I don't have a currently have anything in 7mm. I have a limbsaver already on my stock. Will still get the barrel threaded.

Still thinking maybe a 300 PRC as it looks like my action and mag box should work, will cost it out as probably would need a different stock. But not sure that I will find a range close to me where I can really stretch out a 300 PRC, 1000 yard range is the furthest out I can get to easily. The 300 PRC round would probably be the hardest for me to do with only 2 choices for ammo, was wanting to try to do a 250 grain Atip, but brass supply kind of iffy, still may trade in a creedmoor for one in the future.

Thanks again for all of the great suggestions and input. When I get it re-barreled I'll let everyone know how it shoots.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.