Re-barreling a 300 Win Mag looking for suggestions

The other round I started to look at was the 6.5 x 284 Norma, but can't find much in the way of boxed ammunition at all online. Kind of gave that up for now. If the re-barrel works well will look at buying other older Savage for re-barrel projects in the future. But this kind of opened my eyes to the additional options out there, thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

Well I am getting my twelve year old daughter into the shooting sports, (already shoots a 20 gauge) pretty accurate with a 22lr. We have had an on-going dialog about hunting. I am thinking letting her initially shoot the Bergara 6.5 creedmoor, and instead of re-barreling the Savage 110 to 7mm Rem Mag, (after costing everything out decided I could buy a Weatherby Vanguard in the 7mm rem mag for the same price) and let her use that for elk. Then after searching for other calibers that fit the Savage action, I was giving serious thought to re-barreling it to a 33 Nosler which the Magazine length would fit perfectly. Only Nosler ammunition available, but would be interesting caliber and a rare rifle caliber combo, with a bit more velocity than a .338 win mag, was initially going to use the BAR 300 win mag for a bison hunt, but thinking maybe should go bigger. Any experience and/or feedback with the 33 Nosler?

If you like 6.5 consider a 264 mag. I am still shooting a Rem 700 264 mag I bought new in 1964. Took my best elk ever with it in 2014. Still shoots under an inch. Kept the Bbl cool, never shooting more than two shots with out a complete cool down. Makes a difference . Took my elk this past season with one shot thru both shoulders with a Hammer 121 gr. Moderate recoil , flat shooting. If you reload you can load from 6.5CM levels up to the full potential of the 264. My Win 70 1/9 twist 26" bbl 264 drives 140 Nosler AB to 3222 fps with excellent accuracy using VV 24N41. Gets to my 522yd target pronto & smacks it with authority..

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.