300 win mag and 308 win load suggestions needed

Rhoadzie

hello,

My names mike im from PA and i am new here to the long range community. I am looking on reload suggestions which some of you may be having success with. The Browning a-bolt 300 win mag, 1:10" factory barrel, i am looking for a great LONG RANGE load, out to 700 yards. I will be using this for white-tail deer. gun)

The .308 Win is a Remington 700 adl Varmint with 1:12 factory heavy barrel. This too is a deer rifle however i am looking to a great load out to 300 yards or so.

180 nosler accubond for 300wm load 10-15 thousandths off the lands or as far as your magizine will allow, my power of choice is IMR 4350 probably start with about 69grns and work up, or 4831 and start at about 71.

In your 308 i'd try 168 speer spitzer bts or 168 nosler ballistic tips, starting with about 45grns of varget or 4064 and working up, do not jump these further than you have to either for best accuracy.

These are just suggestions so please do not start bashing be like some others on here. Good luck!

For a 308win Deer load, I would use a 130gr Barnes TTSX. The powder would be IMR8208XBR, and the primes i use these days are the Wolf LR or the Fed 210m if I can lay hands on them. Win brass, or Lapua, but the loadings are a bit different between the two, just saying either brand depending on your preferences brass wise. This load is good for deer out to about 500 yards if you count 1800fps and 800++ ft/lbs as the minimum. It is also fairly flat shooting out to about 400ish. Truly an excellent load, and one I hardly ever see anybody mention.

Gary

@ Diriel thank for your imput!..Does anyone out there have any loads they are having great accuracy and success with using the BERGER BULLETS? in a 308 WIN and 300 WIN MAG??

I shoot 210VLD in 300WM, retumbo powder start at 74gr and work up MY max is 76gr

Im just starting to reload 175VLD in 308 with imr 4064, looks like max in mine is 42gr, 41 & 41.3 hit in the same hole on testing.

I loaded for one of my buddies Abolt .300 win mag, Your magazine is short and you may not be able to go much beyond 3.34 inches in length. We settled on 79 grains of RL22 under a 168 Berger VLD Hunting at 3.345 inches velocity was right at 3200 FPS and you will have enough energy and velocity for reliable expansion and kill on a deer out to 800 yards. It shot under an inch groups at 200 yards. The bullet is seated right at the ogive but this did not seem to affect accuracy and did not have a huge effect on velocity. It also worked well from my model 700 but stretched out to 3.535 and I only gained about 30 FPS. ES and SD were 21 and 11 respectively on the browning. This was with Fed GM210 match primers AND IT WAS THE MAX LOAD IN THIS RIFLE at 80 degrees outside temp. So work up to it in your rifle and environment conditions. Also this was with Remington brass. In my experience remington brass is softer, it stretches more quickly and it also will not take the pressures you would be able to use in Winchester or Hornady brass, so I would recommend one of those two. FC brass is just as soft but the case capacities are more uniform from lot to lot and should give better ES and SD numbers.

Last edited:
@ diriel "In 300 the 210vld using H1000 and a Win LR primer with well prepped Win brass is a very good combination.

Gary "

What is the EXACT load you are using here (primer, grains of powder, set depth, etc) and what type of groups are you getting out of what brand firearm? if you dont mind sharing, thank you!

RHoad- i have found the 308 and the 300wm the two most forgiving rounds to load for after the .222. my sendero 300 wm load for 1k matches is 72.5 of re-22 , 210 berger, WLRM, LAPUA BRASS, vais break. WAY more than you need for whitetailes. for deer i use a 165 balistic tip , or 168 cbt or 168 berger at around 3100-3150 with 4350 . i think it is 71 or 72 grains. For the 308 i would add the sierra and horn 165 spbt. to the others. varget, I-4064 would be may first choices for the .308.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.