Bullet Recommendation for 300WSM

I n regards to the accuracy of the gun using heavier bullets, are you sure it is the gun? Heavier bullets mean more recoil. I have seen quite a few people claim their guns "don't like heavy bullets", but when that gun is put in the hands of someone who has good fundamentals and is used to heavier recoil, it shoots just as good as with the lighter bullets. This is not to disparage your friend at all, it is just to confirm that it actually is the firearm and not the shshooter.
Great point, but several others have had the same trouble. Even shooting off an unweighted sled, consistently increased group size with increased bullet weight.

We did some extensive testing with a fellow who owned a bunch of dairies and got a significant amount of land owner cul tags. I did the loading and would pop over and help process them as it was my off season. Could probably write an article on the minor nuances and lessons it appeared to teach us. Truth be told, the moral of the story is a 30 cal bullet placed well launched from win mag type velocities kills elk. Could endlessly debate the minuta of the various pros and cons and tissue damage, but the big over arching concept was a 308 pill placed well knocks them down.

Great point, but several others have had the same trouble. Even shooting off an unweighted sled, consistently increased group size with increased bullet weight.
I like shooting on the sled during barrel break-in but not when doing load development. I get inconsistencies because I could never get a good check weld Perhaps the shooter is anticipating the recoil? Does it have a muzzle brake?

Yes, it has a break. Results same with or without sled and multiple persons.
Then, it is his load. If I do my part, I shoot 215 Berger at 2850 FPS on mine, and it shoots .5-75 MOA to 966Y.
1707687424137.png

Last edited:
I agree with FEENIX. Within 400 yards, any of the available bullets from 150 grain to 200 grain will work. Elk are not armor plated. They sometimes don't know when they are dead, but there is nothing a bullet can do about that unless you hit the CNS, and then it doesn't matter if it is a cup and core, bonded, or mono-metal, the elk is going down.

In regards to the accuracy of the gun using heavier bullets, are you sure it is the gun? Heavier bullets mean more recoil. I have seen quite a few people claim their guns "don't like heavy bullets", but when that gun is put in the hands of someone who has good fundamentals and is used to heavier recoil, it shoots just as good as with the lighter bullets. This is not to disparage your friend at all, it is just to confirm that it actually is the firearm and not the shooter.
Heavy bullets, heavier torque going down that barrel.

OP, go with a 150 class mono. For the 400 yard range, just point and shoot. Speeds will be high enough at that range. Low recoil, easy win.

I've loaded for a number of Tikkas and would bet testing some additional 180 factory loadings will find an accurate load.