44 cal bullet recommendation?

I've killed 9 deer with XTPs 200/240 & 300. Two from muzzleloader 240's the others were from a Ruger Redhawk with 7 1/2" barrel. I seen no difference in the three weights they all killed quickly.

Check out LBT bullet company you can get Keith-style bullets from 250 gr. up to 325 gr hard cast u could shoot anything as far as game goes with them. They are sized to order and they have gas checks on them, that way u could try cast bullets without spending all the money on equipment, etc. If u don't like the results of these bullets then they are not for u. I used to cast my own wish I had kept that equipment cause now it's hard to get, everybody had the same idea when bullet prices went sky high. I think if you tell them what species your planning to hunt they will adjust the hardness of the lead to match what your hunting, penetration as well as expansion.

I shoot a Winchester lever action loaded with 28.0 gr W296 under 200gr Nosler SJHP in a Federal case using a CCI 350 primer and have killed hogs in west Texas.

Not sure if you would loose too much velocity in the 44 Mag, maybe not with the 16" rifle barrel, but you could look into bullets made for the 444 Marlin. My 444 runs good with 265 Hornady FN interlocks at 2400 out of a 22" barrel. My favorite though is the 300 Sierra Sportsmaster at 2222. That is a Very tough bullet that doesn't expand much below 1700fps. I believe Sierra designed it as a straight penetrating bear defense bullet for the 44 Mag. There's also a 270 Gold dot too but they didn't shoot well for me.

You've received some really good recommendations in these replies. I have used Missouri bullet company in the past for some 9mm semi-wadcutter bullets. They were a good company to deal with. If you want a good, hardcast 22BHN with a good metplat go to Rim Roch bullets and look at their "Top Shelf Hard Cast Bullets", you will find some quality bullets in their production line. This company makes the bullets for Buffalo Bore, and they do make a great hard-cast, gas check, semi-wadcutter bullet.

Last edited:
The Speer 270 grain "Deep Curl" would seem a good replacement (I'm using it in rifle and pistol), not universally available but it looked like some in stock yet.

Hello good people, I must be shooting smaller hogs, I have used the 240 x t p on a lot of hogs and just 3 days ago stopped a 210 lb. I'm shooting the ruger 77-44 and have been pleased with this bullet. But like said above the x t p mag is tougher I shoot it in the 460 vxr was told it was tougher it is.

265 ftx has proven to be a very effective killer in my ruger 44 carbine, even though it won't supposedly stabilize it. Shoots very accurately ~21 grains of h110

265 ftx has proven to be a very effective killer in my ruger 44 carbine, even though it won't supposedly stabilize it. Shoots very accurately ~21 grains of h110
Ours did well with the 300 grain Sierra's although they weren't supposed to work either. Fortunately they changed the twist in newer models for a margin.

Thanks folks, most of your recommendations are out of reach for me here in Australia, as I stated, the only locally available bullet is the 240gr XTP HP.
Our hogs here have huge shoulder shields and even Winchester 240gr SFP have trouble getting through.
I have seen the 270gr Deep Curl listed, but found nothing in stock.

Cheers.

Have moved on from casting my own bullets. I used to do that for my IPSC days and my 44-40.
When lead hit the same price as loaded ammo cost, I sold all my gear.
I am after a cup&core bullet, I understand the penetration side of things, I have a mould here for a 170gr bullet for my 30-30, it is gas checked and is good for 2100fps, don't use it though due to high cost of lead.
Anyway, the only bullet available locally is a Hornady XTP, which I will not use.
My adventure continues...

Cheers.
I would be interested in that mold, PM me

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts