Bullet recommendation needed.

MagnumManiac

Hi all,
Have recently purchased a few rifles in 300WM, am not new to this round. Have had at least one since 1988.

Anyway, the new acquisitions are all LR based Remingtons, a LR, 5R and Sendero II. My Remington use is limited to custom comp use mostly. No hunting rifles to speak of.

My question revolves around using the mag length to my advantage.
I have worked up some loads in New brass, Rem & Win, waiting on ADG to arrive.
Firstly, my supply of Bergers has run dry, and no stock to replenish.
So I started with 200gr Accubonds, 210gr ABLR & 210GR RDF.
The 5R has a tight chamber, as does the LR, the Sendero seems normal.

What other bullet(s) do you all recommend?
I am not a fan of Hornady products, or solid copper bullets.

I used to use 208gr A-Maxes, but several bullet failures swayed my usage of those to steel & rocks.

What say you?

Cheers.

I use to use the 200 gr Nosler Part with stout doses of IMR 7828 in mine.Accuracy was just under MOA. I know you posted your dislike for solid copper bullets, but recently I've tried the 175 Barnes LRX with RL-26 and this really brought this round alive. Vel is 3225 ft/sec and 3 shot groups at .6 at 100 meters. Great load for my rifle.

Last edited:
Ok thanks guys.

I really like Accubonds, their BC is good, their performance is second to none on our deer here. Even the ABLR works really well.
The RDF is new to me, looks very promising too.

Cheers.

I would get some 215 Berger Hybrids. We have had great luck with the 208gr Hornady ELDs, but I understand you don't like them.

I'm not sure about the Nosler RDF, it has a tiny meplat. I've read it worked good on coyotes but a coyote is not a deer or elk, not the same size or mass. And I wouldn't take the risk on any animal trophy or not, well for me all are trophies.

Have you had a chance to use them on game yet Lance? If so I'd like to hear your experience. One thing for sure SMK's have been easy for me to make accurate at box mag length.
Yep. A couple bull elk. Worked.wonders. like dropping a sack of hammers.

I would get some 215 Berger Hybrids. We have had great luck with the 208gr Hornady ELDs, but I understand you don't like them.
As stated, Berger bullet supply dried up here. My last box of 230gr OTM sit on my shelves gathering dust.
Waiting for our annual 1 mile shoot, once they're gone, there won't be any to replace them.
The last boxes of 215's I bought 2 years ago have all been used, I bought 5 boxes in total. Went back to the bullet I started F-class Open with, the 200gr AB.

The 210gr ABLR is really working well, as too the 200gr AB.
Just want a slippery bullet to buck the wind a little better.

Doesn't have to be a 'hunting' bullet per se' either, not shy of bullet pointing and trimming meplats.

Thanks all.

Cheers.

I too use the .208 eld Hornady in both 300 win and Weatherby. Love em! They punch 11/16" craters in 3/4" plate. 1/2 moa out to 600. Haven't had a chance to go farther yet.....maybe this week

220gr scenar-L
I've had great accuracy with scenars in the past.
I'd also browse sierras offerings

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.