Bullet Recommendation for 300WSM

I've seen a 11 twist Tika 300 WSM have the groups open up with 180 class bullets just like you describe. You also have to be careful going to monos as well as monos are light for their length. So you just need a lighter mono.

Hammer Bullets has a 160 hunter that is made for a Tika with a 11 twist.

Check it out here:
https://hammerbullets.com/product/308-cal-160gr-hammer-hunter/

Then, it is his load. If I do my part, I shoot 215 Berger at 2850 FPS on mine, and it shoots .5-75 MOA to 966Y.
View attachment 542872
Thanks Feenix. I've run the numbers and everything you say shows to be true. As I think about it and with the help of you and all who have responded, I'm thinking there is something more that I'm missing than at first glance. Thanks for always showing the empirical data.

Thanks Feenix. I've run the numbers and everything you say shows to be true. As I think about it and with the help of you and all who have responded, I'm thinking there is something more that I'm missing than at first glance. Thanks for always showing the empirical data.
I just checked my tracking log, and it shows I went through IMR 7828SSC, H1000, H4831SC, Magpro, and Retumbo and .046" off the lands (due to OAL to mag issues) with the Berger 215. These are powders I have already opened during load development. While I am OK with the group, I did not find the best compromise of accuracy and velocity, and I tried RL-17 and .080" off the lands. Yes, I could have given up, but I wanted it to work and am happy with it. As with anything else, YMMV.

If your friend has enough of the factory 165 ammo with the same lot#, I'd have him practice to his max range of 400Y and see how it goes. You can run the numbers with that ammo and see the velocity and energy at POI. My unwritten rule is 1500 FT-LBS and the minimum velocity for the bullet to expand effectively at POI. Many people, including some bullet makers, do not believe in energy transfer. Bullet design and construction have different energy transfer levels. Shot placement and the nut behind the trigger remain the most significant factors.

Whether the end-user believes in energy transfer or dump or whatever the correct terminology is to get the point across, the laws of physics exist. Norma has an excellent video capturing/measuring energy transfer.

I would try the hammers with weight for your twist rate. They are not sensitive to seating depth but may require a crimp.

Thanks

Buck
Bingo, they are the easiest to load for. Hence why I will load for others with these. Or I spend so much time chasing seating depth, powders and all the rest.

FEENIX
Are you getting 2850 out of a 215 in a 300WSM? Just curious. I been looking at additional 30 cals and it seem you get a lot of bang for powder used in a 300wsm. That would be pretty awesome if you get that out of a 300wsm. I figured running an average hunting weight rifle 26 inch 1/10 twist. If I could get 2800fps out of some of the 212eldx or 208 Berger's or even the 210s that would be great and a much lighter rig than I have now. 300 RUM 220eldx 26 inch Sendero which gets a little heavy by the end of the day.

Does his Tikka have the stupid SA bolt stop and SA mag with the spacer at the back?
Ditch that crap, buy the Hells Canyon Armory WSM mags and LA bolt stop kit, and open a whole new world of opportunities.
20240107_081216.jpg

20240107_081258.jpg

20240107_081335.jpg

20240107_080912.jpg

20231221_163814.jpg