Bullet recommendation for 6x284

Panhandlin Pat

Looking for a recommendation for what to stuff into my 6x284 cases. Was hoping to find some Sierra TGK but they don't seem to be available anywhere. Will be for pronghorn and coyotes, possibly mule deer if I see a shooter and have the rifle!

At the velocities it's capable of, the hammer 101gr would be worth a look. I've slung 95gr SST from my 243win for years and have no complaints with its performance, killed a truck load of yotes and deer with them in the past 20ish years. The 103 eldx will preform very close to them and give you a little more bc, 115d-tac would also be a great bullet. If you can find 115berger vld they should suffice as well, I've had good luck with bergers in my 25-06 and 7mag.

Last edited:
At the velocities it's capable of, the hammer 101gr would be worth a look. I've slung 95gr SST from my 243win for years and have no complaints with its performance, killed a truck load of yotes and deer with them in the past 20ish years. The 103 eldx will preform very close to them and give you a little more bc, 115d-tac would also be a great bullet. If you can find 115berger vld they should suffice as well, I've had good luck with bergers in my 25-06 and 7mag.
I thought about the eld x, and I believe midway has them as seconds right now. Barrel is an 8 twist.

Those 105 Bergers really shoot in my 8 twist 240 Weatherby, they will anchor a buck quick. The 95 grain ballistic tip is another bullet that will shoot well and is one of my favorites for deer with a 6mm. The 100 grain Sierras will shoot too.
It really comes down to what you have available and what your rifle likes.

As just mentioned by Gary, 105 Bergers or 115 Bergers will work. I have had success with 115 Bergers in a custom 8 twist 240 Wby at 1000 yds for antelope. Wind is a big factor in Wy at the longer ranges. Under 500 yds BC doesn't matter with the velocity you can achieve. And most importantly you should wear a good T-shirt.

If you have the twist for it (I'm running an 8), I'm currently playing with the 88 HH. Testing for pressure, I got over 3700 FPS before any pressure signs. Now that I know how far I can go, I will start working accuracy next but my experience with the hammers tells me it won't be hard to find an accurate load. All my others were very easy switching to hammers.