Build a rifle for sheep or bears?

My choice 338 Winmag. easy to buy ammo, will drop anything in North America. It is easy to load for as well. 300 wnmag also to consider many loads are available. I weighed mine 338 at a little over 10 lbs. M98 with a french walnut stock and scope, 24 inch barrel. You could go with a lighter composite stock and good shoulder pad I use 338 wnmag for evey thing. 44 mag in a shoulder holster.

I am spending more and more time with my raging bull 454 in my cross chest holster. Grizzly's have taken over my deer hunting area in the Hoback of Wyoming. I hunter shot and killed a big boar last year that attacked him. That being said, I haven't jumped on board with the 6.5 craze. I have had 7mm, 300 rum, 338 win mag, 3006 and my favorite 338 rum. Last fall my 300 rum barrel gave out, and I had my smith put my still good 338 rum broughton on my 300 rum action. That action started as a 338 win mag, so it just seemed right to go back to the big bore. So now I have two 338 rums as my hunting rifles! Why, I want to shoot lighter bullets out of this one. I have a bunch of swift sirrocco 210's to try out as soon as the weather isn't so cold, maybe this week! I am hoping to push the 210's between 3300 and 3400 so they will be flat shooting with plenty of punch to 800 plus. Up close with a grizz will still be a fight stopper. I have done much testing trying to determine the best type of bullet to save my life. The jury is still out. 300 gr accubonds penetrate deeply, but are so tough, they don't make a big wound channel. 300 grain Bergers have never failed me, but I can't say that I trust they will penetrate enough on a point blank one and done attempt. Last season I played with the Hornady 285 eldm and was pleasantly surprised to surpass 3000 fps. Only made two kills on antelope, needless to say neither took a step and very little meat was lost. As I get older, having a heavy handgun and a heavy rifle does take it's toll, but a little conditioning can help. As I try to drop weight on my carry rifles, I am looking more and more to carbon wrapped barrels, so my next build will probably be a carbon wrapped barrel in say 300 rum or 338 rum. I will let the others experiment with the 6.5's. As for the big bore handgun, I never shoot it double action, not to say I can't, but I am just much more accurate single action. I load up a stiff load of lil gun behind a 300 grain nosler partion handgun. I am debating buying a 10 mm auto for a lighter carry option, but I don't buy into the extra fire power unless you happen on to a herd of Grizzlies! I think of it like this, try driving a nail with a 2 oz ball pein hammer. Then pick up a 4 lb sledge and hit the same nail............nuff said!

You are correct. Like in most things, size matters. Sadly I don't own a rifle other than a muzzle loader over 30 cal..
Plenty of pistols though. Your .338 plan sounds great. Should be a heck of a bear stopper if needed. Great elk rifle too !

I know a lot of guys are carrying a 10mm Auto of some sort. That's what I'll be carrying when I'm archery elk hunting this year. The big revolvers are cool and sound nice but they're hard to shoot too.

So here's my 2 cents, build the 338 long or short, you want a 338 anyway.
Borrow my 40s&w or the 45 colt that I will have by that time for a backup.
Dad
Ya, I had intended to build the 338 SS but in another configuration, may be the best way to go though, have a mag of Hammers in till we find a sheep then switch in a 250 Berger if needed.
Scooter will have his 300 WSM and his guide gun this first trip in but I think he's looking at a pistol as well so he's not having to pack two rifles every time we go in.

GRIZZLY TERRITORY (ONCE IN AWHILE)
.338 Winchester Magnum and Nosler Partition bullets:

210-gr. up to 3,000-fps
https://load-data.nosler.com/nosler-load-data/pdf/338-winchester-magnum/338-Win-Mag-200gr.pdf

or 250-gr. up to 2,800-fps.
https://load-data.nosler.com/nosler-load-data/pdf/338-winchester-magnum/338-Win-Mag-250gr.pdf

.338 WM RIFLES (FOR ONCE IN AWHILE GRIZZLY TERRITORY)
https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/search.do?query=RIFLES .338 WINCHESTER MAGNUM&sku_instock_b=true

MY FRIEND'S STOCK MOSSBERG .338 WM SHOOTS 1/2-INCH GROUPS!
IT'S GOT A BOLT LIKE A REM 700, AND A SAKO-STYLE EXTRACTOR.
Internet photo
Mossberg-MVP-9.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the semi auto, several stories of guys just gripn and ripn with a bear on them with the revolver still in the chest holster. I liked the idea of a big semi at first but the revolver you can just pull the trigger, no safeties or jamming.

I'd go with a light rifle in 6.5 or 7mm and carry a bear gun in a chest holster. When I'm in griz country I have a S&W 460v in a Guide's choice chest holster. The nice thing about the 460 is you can practice with 45 Colt and carry 454 Casull or 460. Need to practice with the full power stuff too but way cheaper to shoot the 45 Colt mostly. Yes, it's about 4lbs but with the chest rig I hardly notice it and with a bit of practice drawing is very fast.

I had this issue a couple years back. I live and hunt in bear land, last year I took 2 buddies to my honey hole, 7 bears within 800 yards in one night! Another big fat brown bear with cubs the next, if she didn't have cubs I would have taken her, gorgeous hide.

I settled for a browning TI in 325 wsm. 5.25lbs, Shoots 200 grain partitions Sub MOA, 300 yards is my max with it, but I say carry for what you might need. I have carried it on sheep and goat hunts the last few years.

I recently purchased a 300wsm in model 7, having a shorter barrel is a big deal when fighting alders. 26" will make you lose your mind, catch in every fork of every alder. I'll be carrying this with 180-200 gr, depending on what I decide between now and then. I'll be testing it in bears here in about 5 weeks if I'm lucky.

Bear Medicine PERIOD. A short barreled shotgun with brass wrapped slugs and 5 rounds. You need energy in foot pounds to stop their intent. Not buckshot.

My 2 friends got charged by a sow to where her slobber landed on the front guy. The guy behind emptied his clip on the ground we was shaking so hard. She turned and went back. The cool South African in the lead was a step from pulling the trigger.

A big point is, If you have never been there, no one really knows how we will react. A full bore 338 in shaky hands maybe poor insurance in scared hands. Then a close range shotgun with slugs has better stopping power.

Last edited:
Bear spray = 44 mag or larger. I'd build a 300wm and just take a pistol if guide recommended it. If your in sheep country you probably don't want the extra weight but if so a Ruger Super Blackhawk 5.5 inch or shorter barrel would be a good choice.

I have a 300wm fierce CT edge and its wicked. Super light no recoil, its definitely my favorite hunting rifle now

Attachments

• 20190216_132552.jpg
    20190216_132552.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 189