Build a rifle for sheep or bears?

So I go back and forth, I'm looking at hunting sheep in an area that is crawling with Grizzly, it's also an area that had a reputation as challenging to access, I have my gear list and I'm working in it and it's naturally ultra lite but then I come to the rifle!
I had a rifle planned out on paper that would be on the light side of stupid and probably chambered in a 6.5 SS, awesome on paper till I started thinking about the inevitable run in with bears, I don't like the idea of standing there with a 5 lb 6.5 with a bear deciding how badly my being there is offending him.
I have zero intention of putting my life on a can of bear spray, ya, we'll be packing it but really I'm putting a big hole in something if it comes to it, the last guy locally that got killed blew a whole can into the bear and he died and the bear had spray all over it when they killed it!!
Another guy I know of ran out of spray by the time he made it to the truck, he sprayed the bear, got thrashed, made it a ways and the bear kept coming back for more as he hiked out, he lived but was messed up!
So to the question, do I build an ultra lite sheep rifle and then carry a Ruger Alaskan in 454 OR build an 8-9 lb 300 of some kind and pack just that?

So I go back and forth, I'm looking at hunting sheep in an area that is crawling with Grizzly, it's also an area that had a reputation as challenging to access, I have my gear list and I'm working in it and it's naturally ultra lite but then I come to the rifle!
I had a rifle planned out on paper that would be on the light side of stupid and probably chambered in a 6.5 SS, awesome on paper till I started thinking about the inevitable run in with bears, I don't like the idea of standing there with a 5 lb 6.5 with a bear deciding how badly my being there is offending him.
I have zero intention of putting my life on a can of bear spray, ya, we'll be packing it but really I'm putting a big hole in something if it comes to it, the last guy locally that got killed blew a whole can into the bear and he died and the bear had spray all over it when they killed it!!
Another guy I know of ran out of spray by the time he made it to the truck, he sprayed the bear, got thrashed, made it a ways and the bear kept coming back for more as he hiked out, he lived but was messed up!
So to the question, do I build an ultra lite sheep rifle and then carry a Ruger Alaskan in 454 OR build an 8-9 lb 300 of some kind and pack just that?
Double OO buck, 12 gauge magnum slung over your shoulder. Very discouraging to a bear that has revealed its intentions of coming your way. Shorten the stock and the barrel for a little less weight.

Once in a while we are faced with some difficult choices....and this is that time. Seems to me..."In my Mind" shooting your sheep will be the easy part (shooting sheep is never easy) ! getting through the obstacle of BEARS will be the challenge..., not to be taken lightly. Plan B. Take the .300 & the 454 better to have too much gun than not enough. GO BIG or... that bear could send you home. I know it's a heavy load to carry but that's not the time or place to take that big of risk with your life.
My .02
Good luck on your hunt

As you know I hunt in grizz area often in the nw end of state and my rifle is a light 338 NM,so I would opt for your 338ss.I guy got mauled less than 5 miles from my house deer hunting last fall,he fell backwards at charge and never got gun off shoulder,his partner was there right quick but bear gone.I front carry with a safari sling,like a military sling,or guys also have those nice ones in combat type shooting.I wouldnt want weight of pistol,but if tenting it would at camp.One night we camped about 100 yrds from,elk kill grizzly feeding on,unknowingly.Another time the horses woke us when grizz go by camp.My front rail for atlas also doubles for good front small high lume flashlight.

Take a look at the Axial Precison Mountain Shadow. Under 7.5lbs scoped and loaded, 21" barrel 300 PRC with 2925fps with a 212 grain bullet. Made specifically for this need.

I bow hunted within spitting distance of West Yellowstone for years... Bear populations were as thick as anywhere in the lower 48..Saw where bears claim elk carcasses and people just let them have them... Now maybe on a sheep it would be time to go in and do whatever it takes to get it back...I would bet only 1 in 10,000 bear encounters ends up in a mauling... I would think running down the the corner store for a cup of coffee holds more danger.... With that said pack whatever eases your mind into at least letting you enjoy your hunt without worry.... I always opted to skip the bear spray and just carry my 10mm... The last few years I hunted there I didn't even pack my bow... I was loaded down with camera gear... If anyone was going to get attacked by a bear it was me... Being cripple up dragging a leg already I was the prime candidate and there was never any one I could out run. I say be prepared.... but unless you are so unlucky that you can't win a one man poker game even when you cheat more then likely you will be just fine.... Hunting with reliable partners and maybe some with experience hunting for years in the heart of bear country is probably more important then the exact gun you carry... JMO Dave

Just a thought as I am concerning one (not as many big bears where I am but some).
If you think 44 mag is big enough look at the S&W model 329 air weight . Only about 25oz
Whatever I am I am almost always carrying.

For many years I have hunted the East Kootnays in BC which has a huge grizzly population and carried a .270 win which I used for elk and goat.
As the game department reduced the grizzly harvest to virtually nothing, the bear population became larger, and with little negative human reaction, the bears became bolder and bolder, causing me to have some of the same considerations you are facing.
I built a 300 win mag in a lightweight mountain rifle that weighs in at under 9 pounds with scope mounts sling and loaded magazine, and have been more than comfortable carrying it in goat country. I'm shooting 180 handloads which average .75 groups out of the 22" barrel, and have made a number of shots on game at fairly long ethical ranges with good results....most are one shot kills, the longest being 570 yds.
This rifle is balanced, handy to carry in a saddle scabbard, and fast handling in tight situations with substantial stopping power using a well designed bullet.
I used one of Mark Bansners stocks with a decelerator recoil pad, and a good muzzle break, and find the recoil to be no worse than a normal .308 win even while shooting from the bench.
When push comes to shove, there is no perfect rifle to satisfy both situations....when things get real tight and hairy with Mr. Grizzly, a 338 or 375 are by far a better choice, and even they may not totally alleviate the problem without injury, but I've been very pleased and comfortable with my choice for a number of years now, and would build the exact same rifle again today.
I also want to mention that these thoughts are offered having been in situations up pretty close and personal with grizzlies on several occasions without any shots ever being fired.

300WSM, 180 grain Accubond, putthe bullet in the right place! Carry a can of bear spray and learn how to use it. Buy a good size handgun with lethal ammo if you think you need the extra protection.
Again, bullet placement and patience. MTG

Once in a while we are faced with some difficult choices....and this is that time. Seems to me..."In my Mind" shooting your sheep will be the easy part (shooting sheep is never easy) ! getting through the obstacle of BEARS will be the challenge..., not to be taken lightly. Plan B. Take the .300 & the 454 better to have too much gun than not enough. GO BIG or... that bear could send you home. I know it's a heavy load to carry but that's not the time or place to take that big of risk with your life.
My .02
Good luck on your hunt

Amen to that .

Have you guys seen this clip where Rinella gets charged by a bear?

After watching this and seeing them scramble to fire warning shots and rinella trying to get his gun off his should I might be convinced that a big handgun is the way to go. Can fire a shot in the dirt and still be ready to let a couple more rip. Watch this a couple times and you can see how hard it might really be to get a scoped bolt action on target, and reload after firing one in the dirt as a warning shot or whatever...they exercised some restraint by not shooting her, crazy close call.

Not that a handgun would have guaranteed to save the day, but things happen quick and being able to send 5-10 downrange as fast as you can pull the trigger seems like your best bet.

Seems like a lot of sage advice with the 338 long or short the clear leader. Sherm's 338ss sounds killer!
Personally, when I'm in griz country, whether bow hunting, rifle or even fishing, I have a short - barreled ruger sp-101 5 shot in 357 mag on me. I want a gun that I'll be able to get off several quick rounds without it being knocked out of my grip when in close quarters and less than desirable shooting conditions. It's light with a custom grip and trigger. Not the biggest or baddest by any stretch, but really usable.
Haven't ever had to use it and hope I never do, but it's pretty comforting when you hit your sleeping bag at night! Just sayin'.

Last edited:
What about carrying a shotgun with alternating buckshot and slugs for bear protection. A short barrel shotguns not very heavy

Recent Posts