Thoughts on a new sheep rifle

Another vote for 270wsm for mountain hunting.
Mine is a Winchester model 70 super shadow 24 in barrel with a McMillan stock and a Leopold Vx3 4-12. Comes in right at 7 lbs.
Shoots AB 140 gn at 3240 fps and .5 moa with RL22.View attachment 189329
Do a little spot and stock to get a little closer ups you odds. We spotted the sheep in the pic at 800+ yrds. Worked down the ridge to get a 275 yard shot. One and done.
Outstanding!

my light weight mountain gun is a trued Remington action with a number 3 benchmark barrel at 21 inches in a edge fill McMillan mountain rifle stock jewell trigger talley light weight rings leupold vx3 4.5-14x40LR I had the tmr reticle put in it 7mm-08 shooting berger 150 classic hunter at 2788fps ready to hunt at 7lbs

Last edited:
An off the shelf Tikka lightweight with a quality scope is all you need. Most sheep are not shot at super long range. Spend the money on a gym membership and ammo for shooting at unknown ranges off improvised rests up an down hill. Nobody seems to be amazed that JOC killed a lot of sheep with a low tech 270 and low x scopes. Given all the $ poured into equipment today, one wonders why ? Clearly hopelessly obsolete !

View attachment 189092
This is true, but a lot of us just like to have nice things with modern capabilities. Why should we be stuck hunting with old-tech rifles? Very few hunters today use clothing or tents or other gear from the 50s.

Also, I think JOC's setup was fairly state-of -the-art for its time. I bet he'd use a modern setup if he were hunting today.

Now might well be the golden age for firearms, stocks, optics, and bullet technology. The tremendous range of choices means that there is something for everyone. If the latest and greatest is what makes you happy, then use that. If you still love French Walnut and pre-64 Model 70 actions, they are still available somewhere too.

Use whatever you like. A big part of the fun is having choices and personalizing your firearm setup just the way you want it to be. Does not matter if the next guy makes the same choice or not.

If you are having fun with your factory setup, or enjoying building a fully customized rifle, then go with what you like!

But just remember two things.

You don't need a multi-thousand dollar rifle to successfully go sheep hunting!

The sheep haven't changed since JOC was hunting them!

- Wyowind

Now might well be the golden age for firearms, stocks, optics, and bullet technology. The tremendous range of choices means that there is something for everyone. If the latest and greatest is what makes you happy, then use that. If you still love French Walnut and pre-64 Model 70 actions, they are still available somewhere too.

Use whatever you like. A big part of the fun is having choices and personalizing your firearm setup just the way you want it to be. Does not matter if the next guy makes the same choice or not.

If you are having fun with your factory setup, or enjoying building a fully customized rifle, then go with what you like!

But just remember two things.

You don't need a multi-thousand dollar rifle to successfully go sheep hunting!

The sheep haven't changed since JOC was hunting them!

- Wyowind

Forgot to add two things.

While you don't need the multi-thousand dollar rifle to successfully hunt sheep, your sheep hunt is indeed likely to be a multi-thousand dollar hunt!

While the sheep have not changed, the sheep tags certainly have! They are way harder to get, and they cost a lot of time and money, so don't waste them!

Looking for feedback on a rifle I'm having built; getting into sheep hunting.

Specs:

27 Nosler
Manners MCS-T Elite (Carbon Fiber)
20" Bartlein 1:8.5
Timney Trigger
Custom Action

Any downsides there other than weight? (It'll come in at ~10 lbs).
Looking for feedback on a rifle I'm having built; getting into sheep hunting.

Specs:

27 Nosler
Manners MCS-T Elite (Carbon Fiber)
20" Bartlein 1:8.5
Timney Trigger
Custom Action

Any downsides there other than weight? (It'll come in at ~10 lbs).

I recently built a 280 AI that came in just over 7 lbs before the scope. Fully loaded (including sling and bipod) I'm a titch over 8.5 lbs. This was my first complete build, in which I put the whole thing together. It was a heck of a lot of fun. Went through Northland Shooters Supply. A SS Rem 700 trued action, 24" Remage barrel with brake, Grayboe stock and BDL hinged floorplate. My main load is with the 143 gr Hammer Hunter at 3268 fps. Also running the 150 gr LRAB at 3121 fps, and finishing up load development with the 162 gr ELDX at 3036 fps. Did I need another rifle? No!! Did I want a new rifle and really want to build one?? Heck yes!! Could I have absolutely not built this rifle and happily used my comparable weight 300 WSM?? Sure.....but what fun is that.
You've got a true reason to get another rifle, so splurge on yourself. I bought a Christensen Arms 338 Lapua just for a Kodiak Island mountain goat hunt 2 years ago. Fully loaded, it weighs a little under 10 lbs. I didn't notice it being too heavy during that hunt, nor do I regret purchasing that rifle for one minute.
We only get one go around in life and only so many hunting seasons. I learned after my divorce, some years ago, when my ex wife got my southern Colorado hunting land, that I really needed to invest in things that made me happy. So, I stopped thinking about it and started actually DOING it.
Good luck and enjoy the ride.

Doug

Jeff Hayes at Rivers Bend Gun Company has a ton of experience building bulletproof, lightweight hunting rifles. When I stop in his shop I see trued Remingtons, Defiance, Zermatt arms, Mack Brothers Evo Titanium actions, Fusion Ti actions and anything in between. I've seen some amazing 6lb rifles around his shop. When weight matters as much as accuracy, I trust a Gunsmith that uses what he builds.
I agree with the 6.5PRC chambering in this platform. But I would go atleast 22-24 inches to maintain enough velocity to make it worth it. I would skip the Timney trigger and go Triggertech Primary or Special. They are outstanding. It has enough punch and availability to be a viable cartridge. If nothing else give him a call and see what he recommends. 8163864021
Completely agree . Jeff does fantastic work. Call or discuss your project with a smith you trust. They can give you an idea of what you can expect given different combinations.

man, nice rifle options. I'd want light and compact for sure. Personally I'd do a short action either magnum or non. I really enjoy the 6.5 prc and would go that route or a Sherman. The short fat cases seem to react ok to short barrels. I'd have zero issue running 18-20" in a prc with a 135-144. My folding chassis rifle with 7" can weighs 10lbs and my 6.5 creed is 8, it runs a 135 at 2720 with 20", and its a fine option for sheep. My 22" prc runs that same bullet at 3080-3100. I'd expect 3000 with 18. Just food for thought and jealous of the hunt.

A 20 inch 27 nosler is going to be faster than a 270 wsm or a 270 win with that 20" barrel for sure. Muzzle blast will suck. Ask the specialty pistol guys. Efficient? Not really. It'll still be faster tho and a lot handier than 24-26" 270 when slung on your pack , trying to push up thru alders in a slide. It all depends on your specific use and what you want to put up with.
But the pistol guys even run RUMs and such...gets them up to wsm long gun speed, roughly, with much shorter barrel. Not saying I'd do a 20inch 27 myself but it would be handy packing for days, looking for that one shot.

That's a good note. I'm looking at the 7.62 QD SureFire can for this build; keep in on my pack to mount to keep the length down for maneuverability while scrambling. That 3100 you're seeing at 22", is that w/150gr 27 Nosler, did I read that right? That would mean you're seeing 50ft/sec for first 4 inches, and to get to 3000 at 18 you'd expect 25 ft/second over the next 4 inches. Did I read that right?

man, nice rifle options. I'd want light and compact for sure. Personally I'd do a short action either magnum or non. I really enjoy the 6.5 prc and would go that route or a Sherman. The short fat cases seem to react ok to short barrels. I'd have zero issue running 18-20" in a prc with a 135-144. My folding chassis rifle with 7" can weighs 10lbs and my 6.5 creed is 8, it runs a 135 at 2720 with 20", and its a fine option for sheep. My 22" prc runs that same bullet at 3080-3100. I'd expect 3000 with 18. Just food for thought and jealous of the hunt.

That's a good note. I'm looking at the 7.62 QD SureFire can for this build; keep in on my pack to mount to keep the length down for maneuverability while scrambling. That 3100 you're seeing at 22", is that w/150gr 27 Nosler, did I read that right? That would mean you're seeing 50ft/sec for first 4 inches, and to get to 3000 at 18 you'd expect 25 ft/second over the next 4 inches. Did I read that right?
Have to do a little salesmanship. I have a 28 Nosler listed in the classifieds. Checks all the boxes for an excellent "sheep rifle" or most anything else in North America and beyond.

Thanks for this, I was starting to think I'd lost my mind. I think I'll end up at at around 1850 ft/lbs at 500 yards (+/- 50lbs) w/150 gr vs 1500 ft/lbs with the 270wsm at 500 yards w/130 grains. I think the 270wsm with a full 24" barrel would be a little flatter and faster, but it's also 20 grains lighter. If you ran 130's in the 27 Nosler no doubt it would be faster/flatter.

Having a SureFire brake put on it for a QD can.

A 20 inch 27 nosler is going to be faster than a 270 wsm or a 270 win with that 20" barrel for sure. Muzzle blast will suck. Ask the specialty pistol guys. Efficient? Not really. It'll still be faster tho and a lot handier than 24-26" 270 when slung on your pack , trying to push up thru alders in a slide. It all depends on your specific use and what you want to put up with.
But the pistol guys even run RUMs and such...gets them up to wsm long gun speed, roughly, with much shorter barrel. Not saying I'd do a 20inch 27 myself but it would be handy packing for days, looking for that one shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.