Thoughts on a new sheep rifle

Well... I was involved in a project at one time where we took a 308 and a 25-06 and sawed an inch off the barrel until we got to 17 inches and we found we lost about 60 fps to the inch until we got to 21 and lost something like 75fps below that as it was not quite linear.And both of thos are not near as "over bore" as a a Nosler case...and even if not why would you want to burn the extra powder anyway when it would do the same as a 270 win or WSM...but your mileage may vary.get something your happy with.

Looking for feedback on a rifle I'm having built; getting into sheep hunting.

Specs:

27 Nosler
Manners MCS-T Elite (Carbon Fiber)
20" Bartlein 1:8.5
Timney Trigger
Custom Action

Any downsides there other than weight? (It'll come in at ~10 lbs).

Lighter is better
20" barrel is probably too short
22-24" would be much better
Swap the barrel for a carbon fiber
make sure the action is titanium
etc
Your not going to be shooting 1200 yards at a sheep
$$$ comes into play and if you wound one your hunts over
Id go with a 28 nosler or a 6.5 prc
Chances are you wont be able to find 27 nosler ammo in canada or alaska for a while

I think your going to lose way more speed than you think with that short a barrel. If your going that short get a regular 270. Why the short barrel? Not like your jungle hunting or in heavy timber or grape vines. Get a proof carbon in 26 inches. Get your velocity and lighter weight. And a long action doesn't really add very much weight at all. In the end you are the one who's gonna carry it. Lots of good suggestions so far.
Shep

Well... I was involved in a project at one time where we took a 308 and a 25-06 and sawed an inch off the barrel until we got to 17 inches and we found we lost about 60 fps to the inch until we got to 21 and lost something like 75fps below that as it was not quite linear.And both of thos are not near as "over bore" as a a Nosler case...and even if not why would you want to burn the extra powder anyway when it would do the same as a 270 win or WSM...but your mileage may vary.get something your happy with.
Try remington sfcs 270wsm take wood stock put on there fiberglass stock on it less than 7lbs add a leupold 4x14x40cds less than 8lbs that works

Jeff Hayes at Rivers Bend Gun Company has a ton of experience building bulletproof, lightweight hunting rifles. When I stop in his shop I see trued Remingtons, Defiance, Zermatt arms, Mack Brothers Evo Titanium actions, Fusion Ti actions and anything in between. I've seen some amazing 6lb rifles around his shop. When weight matters as much as accuracy, I trust a Gunsmith that uses what he builds.
I agree with the 6.5PRC chambering in this platform. But I would go atleast 22-24 inches to maintain enough velocity to make it worth it. I would skip the Timney trigger and go Triggertech Primary or Special. They are outstanding. It has enough punch and availability to be a viable cartridge. If nothing else give him a call and see what he recommends. 8163864021

OP's original post makes it hard to guess what type of sheep hunting, where it might take place, or how much of it he plans to do. Sheep hunting is not the same everywhere, nor especially for other exotic sheep species outside of North America.

Based on my very limited experience hunting Rocky Mountain bighorn sheep, I would have to say that I personally would not even consider carrying a 10 lb rifle. And I would rather have a longer barrel (22-24 inches) than a short-barreled blaster.

When I miraculously drew a sheep tag, I was able to plan on having a DIY hunt. Which turned out to be a truly wonderful experience! I was fortunate that I lived where I could do that, and that I was young and strong enough to pull it off.

The first thing I invested in was some really good glass. Meaning a top of the line spotting scope, and top of the line binoculars. That is something that I have never regretted doing. Great glass is super important when hunting sheep!

The second thing is that I imagined long range shooting at sheep requiring was a super accurate rifle and a big scope with lots of Xs. That turned out to not be the case at all. It could have been, but it was not the way it came down. I ended up shooting my ram at a distance where I could have done it with an iron sighted .30-30. But my rifle could have made the long distance shot if needed. I would not have risked my rare and valuable sheep tag on a super long distance shot.

My sheep hunt involved a lot of hiking, in steep terrain, at high elevations, for many days. I carried that rifle every day, along with a day pack, while hunting out of a small tent camp somewhere on the side of a mountain. At the beginning and end of every day, I was sitting down and using my glass to look for sheep. Good glass made it a lot easier to evaluate what I could see.

You never know what your sheep hunting experience will turn out like. Consider that it might be different that what you first imagine. Be flexible in your thinking and planning. However good glass and a not too heavy rifle would be a good place to start.

- Wyowind

Another vote for 270wsm for mountain hunting.
Mine is a Winchester model 70 super shadow 24 in barrel with a McMillan stock and a Leopold Vx3 4-12. Comes in right at 7 lbs.
Shoots AB 140 gn at 3240 fps and .5 moa with RL22.
20140920_084915_3.jpg

Do a little spot and stock to get a little closer ups you odds. We spotted the sheep in the pic at 800+ yrds. Worked down the ridge to get a 275 yard shot. One and done.

Palix-Dog,

That is a fabulous ram! And your rifle, cartridge choice, and scope are a great choice for a superb sheep hunting rig! Well done!

- Wyowind

Well I have not sheep hunted in many years but I did do a Mountain Goat hunt a few years ago in the Crazy Mountains of Montana, as you can tell from my Picture, and let me tell you the mountains were step as hell. The rifle I was carrying was a 10 lb. rifle and it was not a pleasant experience. I planned for shots out to 1000 yards and practiced religiously at that distance and shot my goat at 300 yards. You could be on cliffs, walking across shale faces, climbing up cliffs hand over hand to get into a shooting position etc. the lighter the better. I have a CA Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC and with the LeupoldVX5HD 3-15 x 42 Scope it weighs in at about 7-1-2 lbs. empty so probably around 8lbs with a sling and shells. I can tell you from experience 2lbs in steep terrain or shale at 8-10 thousand feet is a bunch. Good luck with your rifle and your sheep hunt.

this last winter I had my smith take a 84M and stick a Lilja with heavier contour (.62" at the mzl 23") in a 8 twist 22/250 AI together. With scope and rounds, sling it'll be 7 lbs give or take.

If I was going on a sheep or goat hunt today that's what I'd be toting.

Plenty of cartridge, and enough weight in the barrel for it to settle down on target. Plus, it's not an anvil to carry:)

Just curious, you gave the velocity loss projections, but what made you decide on 20"? For what it's worth my sheep and steep terrain deer gun is either a .257Wby in a Mark V Ultra Lightweight or a Remington 700 TI Gen 1 in .260Rem. Both stock except for the trigger in the 260.
The .257 had worn a Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x40LR Duplex but just got upgraded to a VX-5hd 3-15x44 FD Duplex with 1 year under it's belt. 110 grain Accubonds at 3440 from a 26" tube.
The .260 has a 3.5-10x40 Leupold VXIII with the Boone and Crockett reticle running 125 grain Partitions at 2860 from a 22" barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.