Build a rifle for sheep or bears?

The areas we're going in are heavy bear areas, the sheep are regularly down lower in the timber. I have two friends that have killed bears and there was enough noise in the camp they came in with intent. It used to work all the time just to make noise, that's changing, one of my favorite black bear areas I will not go hunt again, ran into more grizzlies huffing and bluffing than we saw black bear and we make no attempt to be quite since we are hunting from a distance we can afford to make plenty of noise, it's just not working anymore!!
Very unpredictable !

I was hunting Sunlight Basin in Wyoming, saw more bears than sheep during the first week or so. I'd recommend the rifle only, unless you're doing a horseback hunt, or you are in pretty darn good shape! About 10 years ago, and I was in pretty fair shape, I did a backpack sheep hunt. As much as I love my handguns, it's just too much added weight for a sheep hunt....though it's comforting when trying to sleep at night. Also, I'd go with, at the "very" least, a 7 Rem. mag.! If recoil is not an issue, it's pretty hard to beat a .338 WM. Easily good to 500 yards for your sheep, and likely a better stopping rifle than some of the lesser calibers. I used my "one and only" hunting rifle....my 9 pound .375 AI. It was adequate for the sheep, and I didn't feel a bit overgunned. Once, when going through a couple hundred yards of over head high bushes, visibility measured in feet, while following a game trail.... I was feeling "undergunned"! :D Probably the closest I'll ever get to the Alaskan Alder experience. memtb
Not familiar with the 375 but if it saves your life it would be my best friend ! I wouldn't even consider any 6.5 I would not want to **** them off !

Buck Buster, It's just a .375 H&H that has been "improved", by removing some of the body taper and making a sharper shoulder angle. You end up with more case capacity, which will give you higher velocities. Many folks contend that you get longer case life. With mine I'm getting 3130 fps mv, with 250 grain Barnes TTSX. It just makes the 375 H&H a little better performer at longer distances!

With any firearm, it's all about placement. But, larger calibers, and heavy bullets perform better on large, muscular, heavy boned animals. memtb

I'm going to get a Ruger Alaskan regardless because we are starting to encounter grizz where they never have been and in areas where you'll see them they have started getting aggressive so sooner than later it's going to be a necessity for all hunting and even just going out.......[/QUOTE

I've dressed a bear by moonlight without being too stressed. That same place would only be done next day, with someone whose sole function was over watch.

So I go back and forth, I'm looking at hunting sheep in an area that is crawling with Grizzly, it's also an area that had a reputation as challenging to access, I have my gear list and I'm working in it and it's naturally ultra lite but then I come to the rifle!
I had a rifle planned out on paper that would be on the light side of stupid and probably chambered in a 6.5 SS, awesome on paper till I started thinking about the inevitable run in with bears, I don't like the idea of standing there with a 5 lb 6.5 with a bear deciding how badly my being there is offending him.
I have zero intention of putting my life on a can of bear spray, ya, we'll be packing it but really I'm putting a big hole in something if it comes to it, the last guy locally that got killed blew a whole can into the bear and he died and the bear had spray all over it when they killed it!!
Another guy I know of ran out of spray by the time he made it to the truck, he sprayed the bear, got thrashed, made it a ways and the bear kept coming back for more as he hiked out, he lived but was messed up!
So to the question, do I build an ultra lite sheep rifle and then carry a Ruger Alaskan in 454 OR build an 8-9 lb 300 of some kind and pack just that?

A revolver, .44 Mag or better, 4" barrel, will not feel heavy on you belt or in a chest rig.

My thinking anymore is the same as big green, you spend enough time and encounter the g- bear a few times it starts to make you reevaluate. I dont hunt alone, and always carry at least my .45 or 44 when I go into known g- bear country. But anymore you never know when or where that might happen. I like the odds stacked little more in my favor if I get attacked if I have a sidearm on me and I cant get to my rifle or a buddy there to atleast attempt it to shoot it. I know the father very well who had to shoot one off his son about 1.5 years ago in the south fork of the hungry horse reservoir black bear hunting.

So...find an area to hunt sheep without so many bears!

But if you're set on that area, IMO you won't find a good compromise rifle as both critters are just too far apart to have a high BC round which will have a long, flat trajectory with medium game expansion *and* enough brute force energy, SD and mass to "dissuade" the bear effectively.

Or, maybe a Sako 85 Long Range in 338 Lapua? Doesnt need to expand to kill the sheep, enough mass, energy and penetration to take the bear. Both assuming proper shot placement, as always. Certainly not lightweight...

A revolver, .44 Mag or better, 4" barrel, will not feel heavy on you belt or in a chest rig.
Don't want to turn this thread into a "which defense pistol is best for bears" BUT personally if I were hunting sheep in big bear country, I'd have my sheep gun. Something that fits my range of use and bullet for the task. I'd also carry a good bear spray and either my Glock 20/10mm or Glock 21/460 Rowland. Either will offer adequate defense against a bear attack given time to get a few shots into a big bears skull. Not that the big bore wheel guns aren't excellent, they are. They just won't be reliable enough at getting any number of shots off at a fast charging bear. One maybe two and as stressful a situation as that would be, guessing shot placement wouldn't be ideal. You'd have to make the first shot count. IMO, I'd much rather take my chances with a smaller package, easier to handle auto with alot of firepower. Also getting 3-4 times the shots on target VS maybe one shot. Regardless where you hit a big bear, his goal will be too make it to you. He may still do it with a round in his head. Less chance he'd have as much fight in him with several hardcasts thru his skull and chest. Sheep gun, Spray w/holster and 10mm is my choice. Just my opinion as everyone's will not be what mine is. If you think a big bore revolver will get ,you home after a bear attack, go for it. It's confidence that will make you happy not opinion.

So I go back and forth, I'm looking at hunting sheep in an area that is crawling with Grizzly, it's also an area that had a reputation as challenging to access, I have my gear list and I'm working in it and it's naturally ultra lite but then I come to the rifle!
I had a rifle planned out on paper that would be on the light side of stupid and probably chambered in a 6.5 SS, awesome on paper till I started thinking about the inevitable run in with bears, I don't like the idea of standing there with a 5 lb 6.5 with a bear deciding how badly my being there is offending him.
I have zero intention of putting my life on a can of bear spray, ya, we'll be packing it but really I'm putting a big hole in something if it comes to it, the last guy locally that got killed blew a whole can into the bear and he died and the bear had spray all over it when they killed it!!
Another guy I know of ran out of spray by the time he made it to the truck, he sprayed the bear, got thrashed, made it a ways and the bear kept coming back for more as he hiked out, he lived but was messed up!
So to the question, do I build an ultra lite sheep rifle and then carry a Ruger Alaskan in 454 OR build an 8-9 lb 300 of some kind and pack just that?
why not build or buy one a ultralight glacier in 28 nosler or 300 win mag 6.5lbs they are on evoled ballistic web site

Attachments

• 51611018_2072738083025342_5388908583121321984_n.jpg
    51611018_2072738083025342_5388908583121321984_n.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 192