Which rifle for a sheep hunt?

Discussion in 'Sheep Hunting' started by mnhunter2, Sep 17, 2018.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. COBrad

COBrad Well-Known Member

Been on one sheep hunt as a packer... I carried a pack full of stuff for the hunt, and packed sheep out. I did pack the hunters Christiansen Arms carbon fiber everything rifle a good bit too. That was a sweet rifle. On my own goat hunt I used a Kimber Montana that was a particularly good shooter. That was a pretty sweet rifle too. I carried that rifle quite a bit hunting marmots here in CO, at elevations above timberline up to about 12500'.
    I ordered a NULA this week in .284. Going back to a light rifle.

2. Litehiker

Litehiker Well-Known Member

jump,
    Well, I have the 6.5 CM Browning X-Bolt Pro (the bronze Cerakote, not the gray Tungsten version). It is a very nice rifle and, being 5' 10" of average build it fits me perfectly.

Great attention to detail. The bronze Cerakote covers both the stainless steel barreled action and the carbon fiber stock but you can still see the carbon fiber weave through the Cerakote. Hope it shoots as good as it looks. Most Brownings do.

I have a Warne Pic rail for Browning's special 8 hole mounting but have decided to return it and buy bronzed aluminum Talley rings (4 mounting screws per ring). Less weight and looks better with the Cerakote color.
    I am trying to get a Bushnell LRHSi 4.5 - 18 x 44 scope for it on a 50% off sale. I looked at a 6 - 24 x 42 MARCH scope that is ideal in size, weight and magnification range but it's way beyond my budget. Like the Bushnell, it's made in Japan but of higher quality, natch.

Eric B.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  3. COBrad

COBrad Well-Known Member

What's that rifle weigh, and what is that scope going to weigh? I debated a NF 2.5-10 with MOAR reticle, but putting a 20 oz scope in a 5 lb rifle... Instead I am mounting a Leupold VXi III 2.5-8 with Hollands ART reticle and cds knobs. Weight is just under 12 oz. My NULA with talley mounts and scope should come in around the 5 3/4 lb mark.

4. cheechin

cheechin Well-Known Member

All other concerns being equal...take the gun that can survive abuse. The rams die easy when properly penetrated by any projectile, bullit, arrow, bolt, patched round-ball, ect. But the country is always tough and usually abusive to our weopons. Sheep country will test your mental toughness, and that will affect the way you handle your gun. So take the gun that you can use as a walking stick. Take the gun that already has 1000 alder brush scars and pack scars. Take the gun with abrasions on the scope from all the falls and slips, and still keeps its point-of-impact. Take the gun that has the rusty spots. Take the gun you can trust to hit at your max reasonable shooting range.

deerhunt01 and Threejs like this.
  5. kukusya

kukusya Active Member

Can you share your experience? Thanks

6. Buckshotaz

Buckshotaz Active Member

At lest half of the fun and excitement of a special hunt is the anticipation and taking stock of the equipment you have on had. Questioning the rifle that you have and are very comfortable with is a normal thought process.

Use the rifle that you are comfortable with. if you need to lighten your load, look elsewhere.

Use this time before the hunt read everything you can find on the hunt, watch video, shoot more, exercise, hike with a heavy pack, and use you binoculars just to look at anything but for extended periods of time.

If your body and mind are ready and you can glass for a long time, with good shooting, you will do fine.

Threejs and Rick Richard like this.
  7. deerhunt01

deerhunt01 Well-Known Member

I couldn't have said it any better, great advice

8. RemHutch50

RemHutch50 Well-Known Member

This post is 6+ months old. What has the OP decided ?

Alibiiv likes this.
  9. Litehiker

P3141635.jpg kukusya,
    Here is my 6.5 Creedmoor Browning X-Bolt Pro. burnt bronze Cerakote on both metal and carbon fiber stock. 6 lbs. 1 oz. bare naked.

The scope is a SWFA 3 - 15 x 42, FFP, mil/mil, W/ side focus. Great glass for the money.
    The rings are Talley special edition bronze Cerakote (match-matchy;o) and the rear ring has a bubble level.

I'm very strongly thinking of getting a MARCH 3 - 24 x 42 scope, same features as above with an illuminated reticle. It's just so [email protected] spendy though.

Eric B.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019 at 5:15 PM
    kukusya and RemHutch50 like this.
  10. memtb

memtb Well-Known Member

If your in decent shape...
    go with “ole faithful”! On a critical hunt, it’s difficult to beat familiarity! I’m sure that the money saved from “not” buying a new rifle.....can be put toward some good hunting equipment! On my sheep hunt, I used the only rifle I’ve used for hunting sinc ‘91. I used my .375 AI (9# even), and didn’t feel “undergunned”! :D

After posting.....I then went on to read the postings. But, my opinion hasn’t changed! memtb

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019 at 5:02 PM
  11. kukusya

kukusya Active Member

Really beautiful rifle.

12. Litehiker

Thanks kukusya.
    Yeah, purty, and it shoots Hornady 6.5 CM 140 gr. ELD-M pills into 1/2 MOA groups very regularly. ("Only accurate rifles are interesting rifles.")

I still have to see how many rounds it takes to heat up the barrel and make the rounds begin to "walk" on target. But hey, it's a hunting rifle, and a lightweight at that, not for competition.

Eric B.
    BTW, Browning's new 3 lever "Feather Trigger" is even better than the very good SAKO triggers. I've tried them side-by-side.
    AND... it you're thinking of getting an X-Bolt Pro it now comes in 6.5 PRC as well. Think of it as a 6.5 magnum.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019 at 5:02 PM
    kukusya likes this.
  13. kukusya

kukusya Active Member

Thanks, that’s rifle on my list know.

14. Litehiker

BUMP
    See my 1st post on this thread. Pic of my new X-Bolt Pro.

Eric B.