Boots for sheep hunt

I come on these sites a lot and offer little advice and I was recently called out on it by a good friend. First off congratulations on the hunt!

I am a cameraman and filmed over 2 dozen sheep hunts in North America Both rifle and bow. I get this question all the time. There is no perfect boot and an August AK sheep hunt is much different than a December Ak hunt etc... I've read through the thread and is a lot of good advice being given here. Some added 2 cents:

1. ask your guide or other guides in the area you'll be hunting and listen to what they say! Don't get caught in marketing traps.
2. try them on and break them in! Sheep hunting is awesome but a mental and physical challenge, more sheep hunts have been tipped toward the negative with bloody feet!
3. Train your feet. Here in Arizona I will walk barefoot once or twice a week in a wash or on sand to condition my feet. Haven't had a blister in years and I go in heavy with all my camera gear!
I love the folks at Kenetrek and Lowa was giving me boots for a while but they are heavy. If you aren't accustomed to wearing heavy boots i would consider the Crispi or other lighter ones. Anyway I don't mean to ramble on. I could talk about this for hours.

Attachments

• BC CA Bighorn.jpg
    BC CA Bighorn.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 161
  • Bob and I Dall.jpeg
    Bob and I Dall.jpeg
    61.5 KB · Views: 157
  • Pete and I Cougar canyon.jpg
    Pete and I Cougar canyon.jpg
    513.4 KB · Views: 207
I come on these sites a lot and offer little advice and I was recently called out on it by a good friend. First off congratulations on the hunt!

I am a cameraman and filmed over 2 dozen sheep hunts in North America Both rifle and bow. I get this question all the time. There is no perfect boot and an August AK sheep hunt is much different than a December Ak hunt etc... I've read through the thread and is a lot of good advice being given here. Some added 2 cents:

1. ask your guide or other guides in the area you'll be hunting and listen to what they say! Don't get caught in marketing traps.
2. try them on and break them in! Sheep hunting is awesome but a mental and physical challenge, more sheep hunts have been tipped toward the negative with bloody feet!
3. Train your feet. Here in Arizona I will walk barefoot once or twice a week in a wash or on sand to condition my feet. Haven't had a blister in years and I go in heavy with all my camera gear!
I love the folks at Kenetrek and Lowa was giving me boots for a while but they are heavy. If you aren't accustomed to wearing heavy boots i would consider the Crispi or other lighter ones. Anyway I don't mean to ramble on. I could talk about this for hours.

I'm all ears so ramble all you want. I'm trying to learn all I can and make the best choices for me. Thanks for your thoughts so far.

Ok guys. I went to my buddies house and looked at and tried on all of his boots. Didn't realize he had so many. Probably 10 pairs. He had Kenetrek, Salomon, and Crispi.
I thought the Kenetrek was a well made boot. But in the end, the Crispi Nevada's were perfect on my feet. So I'm going with those.

I want to thank everyone for all their comments and suggestions. And if any of you have any further info please keep them coming. I'm sure I'll be back with further questions in the future. Just have to figure out how to get all this stuff on a teachers budget. Some pretty expensive stuff to get for one trip. Backpack and sleeping bag are the top two that I'll pretty much never use again.

upload_2019-8-26_21-56-34.png

https://www.smartwool.com/shop/hike-liner-crew-socks-sw0sw114#hero=0

Again congrats on the hunt! Now that you've settled on a boot don't forget the importance of socks and liners. Bring them when you try the boots on. Quality merino wool it dries fast and doesn't stink! Liners, liners, liners! You can wash and dry them easily, meaning you can rotate them throughout the day with little weight or bulk. Just rinse them off, ring them out then put them around your neck to dry. It's important to wash them to get the salt and minerals from your sweat out of them they act like abrasives. Changing your socks or liners throughout the day is like changing the tires on a race car! I was also a light infantry medic so I know way to much about this subject.

View attachment 146927
https://www.smartwool.com/shop/hike-liner-crew-socks-sw0sw114#hero=0

Again congrats on the hunt! Now that you've settled on a boot don't forget the importance of socks and liners. Bring them when you try the boots on. Quality merino wool it dries fast and doesn't stink! Liners, liners, liners! You can wash and dry them easily, meaning you can rotate them throughout the day with little weight or bulk. Just rinse them off, ring them out then put them around your neck to dry. It's important to wash them to get the salt and minerals from your sweat out of them they act like abrasives. Changing your socks or liners throughout the day is like changing the tires on a race car! I was also a light infantry medic so I know way to much about this subject.

Thanks for this. I already know about the merino socks. Have two pair so far.
But hadn't planned to get liners. I've never liked wearing two pair of socks, so figured I wouldn't like the liners. But I'll get a set and give them a try.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts