Sheep build, UL backpacking rifle

RIFLE.jpeg

For those who son't want to build a sheep gun this is my 6.5 PRC Browning X-Bolt Pro that weighs 6 lbs. 3 oz. "naked". Bushnell Elite LRTS 4.5 - 18 x 44 scope W/G3 illuminated reticle in Talley rings. HELLE GT hunting knife.

View attachment 322829
For those who son't want to build a sheep gun this is my 6.5 PRC Browning X-Bolt Pro that weighs 6 lbs. 3 oz. "naked". Bushnell Elite LRTS 4.5 - 18 x 44 scope W/G3 illuminated reticle in Talley rings. HELLE GT hunting knife.
My x-bolt is a 280 AI with a Leupold 4.5X14 30MM Tube 44 With Talley Rings Hells canyon Speed Model.

I built one last year
5lbs 4oz 300wsm
Defiance anti
20" proof sendero
Paradigm carbon stock
Pva ultralight jet blast brake
Topped with a boat anchor Kahles k3-18i

Coulda been sub 5lbs if I went with a pierce titanium action and proof sendero light barrel and a hinged floor plate. But didn't wanna wait on the action and barrel.

View attachment 336235View attachment 336236
What rings are those?

the only thing i have decided to change on my gun is buy a hawkins hunter bottom metal, and the flush mount mags which should put my gun at 5lbs even when i get rid of the steel aics mags

the only thing i have decided to change on my gun is buy a hawkins hunter bottom metal, and the flush mount mags which should put my gun at 5lbs even when i get rid of the steel aics mags
Can you still swap in a blind mag or hinged floor plate? I'm just thinking about how'd I'd build an UL rifle and a blind was in my schematic for one, I guess blind is out of the question if you're keeping the same stock. I haven't compared weights but seems like a hinged floor plate would be less than the bottom metal and mag. Im really impressed about how light you got that. I was thinking featherweight barrel, but a CF barrel would be nice for stability. Would you lose COAL with the Hawkins flush mag? That'd be my only concern.

I see the emblem on them now. The bubble level is identical to Hawkins. I bet the make them for them.
They looked the same, I'd never seen the blue level before and I couldn't quite decipher the delta logo, didn't think of Steiner for some reason. I was almost thinking Zeiss but they looked a little different than those.

Can you still swap in a blind mag or hinged floor plate? I'm just thinking about how'd I'd build an UL rifle and a blind was in my schematic for one, I guess blind is out of the question if you're keeping the same stock. I haven't compared weights but seems like a hinged floor plate would be less than the bottom metal and mag. Im really impressed about how light you got that. I was thinking featherweight barrel, but a CF barrel would be nice for stability.
Well can't do a blind mag, but I could possibly go to a hawkin m5 hinged floor plate, the only thing is my stock is hollow so not 100% sure how stable the box mag would be inside it. Suppose one could epoxy it in. FYI my stock only weighs 16oz and the hawkins flush mag is 2.980" which is more than enough for running 180gr bullets in a 300wsm. i think im running 178gr eldx at 2.950" right now

Attachments

• E9ACF891-DB11-44CA-9D63-D1AAA63F8E91.jpeg
    E9ACF891-DB11-44CA-9D63-D1AAA63F8E91.jpeg
    178.8 KB · Views: 77
  • 0572C468-3B56-4D0A-BD45-05CBF2EB5178.jpeg
    0572C468-3B56-4D0A-BD45-05CBF2EB5178.jpeg
    213.1 KB · Views: 81
Well can't do a blind mag, but I could possibly go to a hawkin m5 hinged floor plate, the only thing is my stock is hollow so not 100% sure how stable the box mag would be inside it. Suppose one could epoxy it in. FYI my stock only weighs 16oz and the hawkins flush mag is 2.980" which is more than enough for running 180gr bullets in a 300wsm. i think im running 178gr eldx at 2.950" right now
That's a pretty slick design. Would probably have to epoxy the box in and would likely not save weight at that point. DBMs end up being easier in the long run. 16oz is crazy light for a stock. Definitely looks like they took every ounce off that they could get away with. My UL rifle will probably be a 7mm something possibly a SAUM, maybe a 7-08 AI or something like it.

Recent Posts