Budget scope

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by pawhitetail, Aug 20, 2018.

1. pawhitetail

pawhitetail Active Member

So Remington had the $100 mail in rebate promo this past spring and with the sale on price at the local shop I picked up a Remington700 long range in 300rum for around $450. I'm looking for a sub $550 scope option to get me hunting and target shooting this fall. Targets to 1100 game more like sub 350(I've never actually had to shoot anything past 250 really). My requirements are no more then 4x on bottom end and 18x or 20x on top end would be really nice to have. Accurate tracking and moa on moa. The new vortex strike eagle 4-24x looks interesting as does the sightron s-tac. If I go to 16x on the top end maybe the vortex viper hs lr? I'm really open to any suggestions at this point. Thanks

2. DUSTY NOGGIN

DUSTY NOGGIN Well-Known Member

300 rum, has some legs ... IMO you may as well put something on it that lets you see that far , you can always turn it down .. 6-24x50 hs-t is still in your price range with a more hashmarks in the reticle

3. Mercracing

Mercracing Well-Known Member

Second Vortex vote.

4. Hbomb11

Hbomb11 Well-Known Member

Athlon ARES is a good scope for the money. Athlon Ares BTR 4.5-27x50, 30mm, APLR3 FFP IR MIL Reticle is listed in the classifieds right now for 600 bucks if I didn't have one I would buy it.

300whisper likes this.
  5. bullfrog

bullfrog Well-Known Member

Sightron s-tac 4-20 has worked very well for me on a 6mm/284. Tracks well.

RockyMtnMT, logman48 and RiverSink like this.
  6. MajorSpittle

MajorSpittle Well-Known Member

Primary Arms has their new 3-18x50mm FFP Mil/Mil scopes coming out with a lifetime warranty for $500. I have one of them ordered with the DMR reticle.

Right now it might be the best bang for your buck. They have other reticles that it will be coming in also. The R-Grid is a great reticle if you spot for yourself.

As I recall there will be an MOA/MOA version with a real nice 1 moa reticle.
    http://primaryarmsoptics.com/product/3-18x50mm-first-focal-plane-scope-w-hera-bpr-moa-reticle/
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    FEENIX likes this.
  7. Canhunter35

Canhunter35 Well-Known Member

Go with the stac.
    I have one, tracks well, I use mine to 1k often. Has 80moa of travel, decent glass, for price they’re hard to beat

RockyMtnMT, logman48 and RiverSink like this.
  8. 300whisper

300whisper Well-Known Member

That looks like an awesome little scope!! That reticle in the link, though? No thanks. That looks way too busy. Thanks for posting this though! Definitely sparked my interest. Going to check out other reticle designs.

9. Bravo 4

Bravo 4 Well-Known Member

Looks like it has the potential to be a good lower budget LR performer. I have had one of their their 4-14x44 models for several years with no complaints. I would not, however, purchase a new model scope until it has been tested, I’ve been burned on new models costing over 3x that much. Had I waited 6-12 months and seen other’s failures it would have saved me a lot of trouble and heartache.

10. Sevy

Sevy Well-Known Member

I have a viper hs-t 6-24x50 and like it. The drawback is the 65 moa adjustment. That s-tac is interesting though. 80 moa elev adjustment for 400 bucks. If it tracks we'll and the glass is decent this sounds like a no brainer. I'm thinking of buying one to try out. Bullfrog says his tracks good. Anybody else have experience with this scope? Sounds like what the op is looking for. How about zero stop?

11. bearhtr2

bearhtr2 Well-Known Member

My vote is Vortex. I have four of them. Love them all. For the money and warranty and optical clarity I don't think you can beat them. Stay in viper class or above though.

12. bearhtr2

bearhtr2 Well-Known Member

I forgot to add that my 300 RUM has the Vortex HST and my 340 Weatherby accumark has the Vortex HS LR. Never once had issues anywhere I have been in North America hunting with either one.

13. bkillion28

bkillion28 Well-Known Member

Might look at the new vortex diamondback tactical

14. gohring3006

gohring3006 Well-Known Member

I would look for something used in that price range. It will put you in the next tier without the higher price.
    I would try to find a used Vortex pst, it has the glass etched reticle. I personally feel more confident with glass etched reticles when you get into large magnum rifles. There is one scope in that price range at Natchez that I like and trust, but it’s only 15 max power. That’s the Weaver tactical 3-15x50. Great Japanese scope.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    Sevy and Bravo 4 like this.