Budget Scope Selection

Dtray

Im a new shooter, and I'm looking for a decent scope for a budget .308 build. Budget is $220. Ill be hunting and medium range shooting. I'm unsure of whether I want to buy a mildot scope or regular BDC scope. I'm not too familiar with MIL but can learn. Here's what I have so far.

Primary Arms 4-14X44 FFP Scope with Patented ACSS HUD DMR .308/.223 Reticle | Primary Arms

Vortex Crossfire II 4

Primary Arms 4 16 x 44 Rifle Scope Illuminated Mil Dot Crosshair PA416X | eBay

Any advice would greatly help. Thank you.

For a budget scope I would purchase a Tasco World Class 4-16X40. Probably about half what the others cost. I compare scopes side by side often. I keep a Tasco to compare with more and much more expensive brands. They fare very well. In fact they are definitely better than most of the other cheap brands.

One scope that I've had pretty good luck with is the sightron scopes. Of coarse they make some that are relative expensive. But I have some of the sightron I and sightron II and they seem to be fairly good. For me at least. Good luck

Whatever brand you decide, I would get matching turrets and reticle. Either Mil/Mil (my preference) or Moa/Moa.

The more research you do and the more you learn, the more you will thank me for this advice. :)

Im a new shooter, and I'm looking for a decent scope for a budget .308 build. Budget is $220. Ill be hunting and medium range shooting. I'm unsure of whether I want to buy a mildot scope or regular BDC scope. I'm not too familiar with MIL but can learn. Here's what I have so far.

Primary Arms 4-14X44 FFP Scope with Patented ACSS HUD DMR .308/.223 Reticle | Primary Arms

Vortex Crossfire II 4

Primary Arms 4 16 x 44 Rifle Scope Illuminated Mil Dot Crosshair PA416X | eBay

Any advice would greatly help. Thank you.
I am very happy with the Primary Arms 4-14x44 ACSS HUD. Once you learn the reticle it will be very helpful.
I believe it the best deal going right now..

Get a Nikon Buckmasters from E-Bay 4x-12x by 40 for less than $150. They have some listed as low as $115

x2 here. I have one and for the price I don't think there is a better option out there. Really thinking about getting another.

Check out SWFA Super Sniper. It is just a few $ more and a whole lot of scope. They are fixed power and mill dot. Read the reviews....at $299. you can't go wrong. Go to the SWFA site and check them out. 10-12-16 & 20 power I believe and all the same price...gun).....................................................................:)

I run the crossfire II 3x9 on a carry weight 7mm Mag. Nice and bright. Holds zero and the crosshairs move when you adjust the turrets. Has a couple marks on the crosshair for 3 - 400 yards marks.

Buckmasters are good also. Feel a little higher quality and maybe glass is a tad better, but only a tad. I have a couple, but not on high recoiling rifles like the Crossfire.

Differences are:
BM parallax is set at 50 yards
CF parallax is set at 100 yards

BM turrets at 1/4 inch at 100 yards
CF is 1/4 MOA at 100 yards

IMO the CF crosshairs are better than the Nikon BDC reticle.

Buckmaster does not state the field of view spec for the scope. Several reviews state that is not that great and has kind of a tunnel vision effect. I tend to agree with that.

For the money the Vortex CF isn't bad and has held up well on my 7 mag.

Can't comment on the other scopes as I've never used them.

I'm not suggesting the fixed parallax BM, the side focus buckmaster.

Personally I wouldn't touch the crossfire, if going the vortex route it would be a diamondback or better.

I'll add this, if you can hack an extra few bucks you could score a nikon monarch w/ sf on ebay.

Burris fullfield 3-9x40 are on sale at cabelas for 150... thats 150 off.

These are pretty solid rifle scopes. My dad uses them at his range. Sturdy, reliable, and great glass out to 400 yards (farthest we shot that day).

https://www.redfield.com/riflescopes/

Not sure if they were already mentioned in the thread. They are now owned by Leupold as well. You can get one at Wally World for $150. The Nikon prostaffs and monarchs are nice scopes for the money too.

EDIT: I do not know why the MSRP is so high on their website. Definitely seen them at wal mart and bass pro between 150-180.

I'm not suggesting the fixed parallax BM, the side focus buckmaster.

Personally I wouldn't touch the crossfire, if going the vortex route it would be a diamondback or better.

I'll add this, if you can hack an extra few bucks you could score a nikon monarch w/ sf on ebay.

Burris fullfield 3-9x40 are on sale at cabelas for 150... thats 150 off.

I have the 14 power side focus Buckmaster and love it for what it's for. It only has 50 MOA of adjustment so I use a 20 MOA base and Burris Zee rings and got to where most of my adjustment is free...
I will say it has nothing on my Primar Arms 4-14 ACSS HUDD. The Primary Arms is just as clear and it's 30 mm tube, front focal plane with 30 Mils of adjustment and a sweet Reticle. So it quickly passes my Buckmaster in performance...

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.