Budget scope : /

GByrd

Long story short...I have about 8 hunts left this season and my scope is having issues that are beyond repair. I work full time, I'm in grad school full time, and have an active family of 6..so time/$ right now is pretty tight....especially since Christmas is around the corner.

I'm looking for a budget scope for my 270 Weatherby mag Encore that I can pass down to a plinking rifle next season after I'm done with school and have time to research and money to spend on something solid.

I'm looking at under $200 if that's possible..need it ASAP so I can have it by next weekend. Max range is 350 yards. I need it to be a pretty solid optic as the terrain is rough and it's 7,000 acres.

Thanks for your consideration.

BSA Tactical Mil-Mil Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 4-14x 44mm Side Focus 1/10
They have these on clearance this week. It's basically the same scope as the Primary arms and Athlon Talos 4-14 FFP scopes. I have two of these, one on a 300 Weatherby another on a 7mm Rem Mag. No problems at all, and I have hundreds of firing sulutions thru them.. This is a very good price. I gave 250$ for mine on sale, regular 399$
Just check out the reviews..

Wow, that is a heck of a deal on that scope. I've followed it and the PA scope in the past for a bench 223 rifle. Are the turrets large enough that they'll get caught on stuff and do they capture a lot of dust? The dirt where I'm at is like powder.

Thank you for the suggestion. It's my top pick right now. I had been looking at a Nikon Prostaff previously.

Wow, that is a heck of a deal on that scope. I've followed it and the PA scope in the past for a bench 223 rifle. Are the turrets large enough that they'll get caught on stuff and do they capture a lot of dust? The dirt where I'm at is like powder.

Thank you for the suggestion. It's my top pick right now. I had been looking at a Nikon Prostaff previously.

The tall turrets might be a problem catching, I don't ever have a problem with it, but it could happen...
I don't notice them getting more dirt than my other scopes, which all are tall turret type scopes. Now that I think about it, I never had a turret accidentally turned from catching on stuff, but I'm sure others have...

Also how is the glare with it? What about dusk/dawn vision? Thanks for the help!

It's actually clearer than my SWFA 10x. At dusk and dawn it's better to turn it down to 10x or lower. It seems to become much brighter by doing so. Which in my experience, I never needed high magnification when the light got low..
All that said, we are still talking about a budget optic. So it is what it is.. Lol

Lol, that's the truth. I'm coming from a FFP scope that has been faithful for 10 years. Last year I started having issues with glare at certain sun positions (totaled about 20 minutes where it was un-usable) and in the dawn/dusk period the image is gray-washed.....

The issue seems to have gotten worse over time. I've tried sun shades and an ARF and it's just not usable enough to where it needs to be replaced.

Thank you for the advice.

Here's a pic of it on the Weatherby. It is a bigger tactical scope.. It's the one on the left. The sunshade is removable.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 60
Lol, that's the truth. I'm coming from a FFP scope that has been faithful for 10 years. Last year I started having issues with glare at certain sun positions (totaled about 20 minutes where it was un-usable) and in the dawn/dusk period the image is gray-washed.....

The issue seems to have gotten worse over time. I've tried sun shades and an ARF and it's just not usable enough to where it needs to be replaced.

Thank you for the advice.

Your welcome, keep us posted on what you choose..

For $200, the current Leupold VX-1 isn't a bad scope if you don't need turrets, it has the same glass as the old Vari-XIII's did, with better coatings.

I am, by far, not knowledgeable enough to say what you should get as I haven't used hardly ANY of the options listed, but I am very happy with my vortex scopes. have a 3x9x40. and have used a few others. the glass is clear, weight is doable, warranty is transferable/no questions asked, and made in USA. Price is right if you search around a bit. 3x9x40 diamondback (BDC reticle SFP) has held up to my 300wm for a couple of seasons now. and can be had on amazon for about 150 bucks.

I, too am in the market for a scope similar to what you have in mind, but with a bit more distance, and for my 6mm. I am looking at a vortex at the moment, so I would be curious how you folks compare the vortex diamondback line to the other options that have been listed.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.