"Budget" scope..

berdarien

Well I am not sure if posting will get me berated or help. I am hoping help so here it goes. I just bought a weatherby vanguard 30-06 and I am looking for a "budget" scope. Remember I said budget not cheap. I will be shooting both longer range and shorter shots. Deer hunting as a lot of people know you don't get to decide how close the deer get. So shots could be from 10 yards up to 750 on the land I will be hunting.

I am looking at three scopes at the moment.

Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 Matte Riflescopes FREE S&H DBK-04-BDC, DBK-M-04P. Vortex Diamondback Rifle Scopes, Vortex Rifle Scopes.
Alpen Kodiak 4-12x40 A-O Wide Angle Multi Coated Water Proof Riflescope 2050 Rifle scope FREE S&H 2050. Alpen Rifle Scopes.
https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_4_16X44_Illuminated_Mil_Dot_Scope_p/pa416x.htm

I am just curious if anyone has used any of these scopes or even looked through them. I am leaning towards the Vortex due to the light transmission or the Alpen due to the lifetime warranty.. As someone else stated the warranty helps determines the companies confidence in it's own products.

Now could I save up and buy something nicer? Most definitely. I just don't see the need to. As long as the scope can be dialed in and then hold zero halfway decent I feel it should be fine. One of the first posts I saw someone on here say was " I don't believe a 1000 dollar scope is 5 times better than a 200 dollar scope", or something along those lines.

Thanks again, Bear

I recently needed to glass a rifle quick for some load development and wanted to do so on budget as I recently spent 3k on another rifle and scope.

I ran down to Dick's Sporting goods and picked up a couple of the latest generation Nikon Prostaffs with BDC. A rimfire version to put on my Marlin 60 for plinking but I also bought the 4-12 for my resurrected 6.5-06. BDC

Glass is nice for 200 buck scope....

If it helps that Vortex has the best warranty in the optics industry so you can take that off the pros and cons list.

For around $300 a VX-II leupold can be had new. I had an old 3x9x40 Vari-X II that held zero while I ran over the barrel of a rifle with my truck. It had friction turrets that never lost zero over 15 years of use. I sold it to a friend of mine who jumped all over the opportunity to buy it knowing that if he ever had a problem, leupold would fix it for free no questions asked. With that in mind, a used leupold could be a consideration.

I was recently considering that very Vortex. You can do better IMO, but they do have a great warranty, from what I hear.

I felt the eye relief/eye location was very touchy on this Diamondback. Also it's a 2 piece tube (not sure if it's that big of a deal, but some say it is). The clarity, especially at full magnification, was just o.k.

The prostaff is a better option IMO. I thought the Trophy XLT were slightly better clarity wise.

I went with a Legend Ultra HD (see my post: http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/best-current-sales-scopes-114340/index2.html) and it is lots better than the diamondback, IMO, and didn't cost that much more.

Also, Bushnell warranty is good. My dad had a old, fixed 4x rimfire scope go bad after many years of use. He sent it in, they returned to him a very nice 3-9x32 (trophy, I believe) scope that was much more than the old scope ever was.

I hope this helps.

i had a 3-9x50 prostaff. had very bad veiling flare. it even caused me to not be able to see the big buck in the field that i could see plain as day in my binos. because of that ill never own another nikon

I appreciate all the information and I was going to go with the leupolds but I had an issue with one we had on one of the farm guns which was a 30-06 also. We had trouble with them honoring the warranty and I just can't reconcile myself going with them again.

I am sure we just had a few bad people and a rare occurrence but it still bothers me. I decided I am going with the alpen. I just keep getting drawn back to it over and over. The reviews are phenomenal and it has a no-fault warranty. My only problem is I can't go to a store and look through one before I buy it. Also if i have issues with it. I am only out a slight amount. Will throw it on my 10/22 or 550 and use it for plinking.

As I said thanks for all the info. If anyone has any specific information on the alpen optics of anykind I will be happy to hear it. When I buy my scope in a week or two(after vacation). I will let people know how it is working for me and try to post some pics looking through.

ive heard good things about Alpen scopes and binos. thin u made a good decision. that scope does get very good reviews. i considering a pair of their binos myself

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.