Budget scope

pawhitetail

So Remington had the $100 mail in rebate promo this past spring and with the sale on price at the local shop I picked up a Remington700 long range in 300rum for around $450. I'm looking for a sub $550 scope option to get me hunting and target shooting this fall. Targets to 1100 game more like sub 350(I've never actually had to shoot anything past 250 really). My requirements are no more then 4x on bottom end and 18x or 20x on top end would be really nice to have. Accurate tracking and moa on moa. The new vortex strike eagle 4-24x looks interesting as does the sightron s-tac. If I go to 16x on the top end maybe the vortex viper hs lr? I'm really open to any suggestions at this point. Thanks

I picked up a Remington700 long range in 300rum for around $450. I'm looking for a sub $550 scope option to get me hunting and target shooting this fall. Targets to 1100 game more like sub 350 Thanks

300 rum, has some legs ... IMO you may as well put something on it that lets you see that far , you can always turn it down .. 6-24x50 hs-t is still in your price range with a more hashmarks in the reticle

Athlon ARES is a good scope for the money. Athlon Ares BTR 4.5-27x50, 30mm, APLR3 FFP IR MIL Reticle is listed in the classifieds right now for 600 bucks if I didn't have one I would buy it.

Primary Arms has their new 3-18x50mm FFP Mil/Mil scopes coming out with a lifetime warranty for $500. I have one of them ordered with the DMR reticle.

Right now it might be the best bang for your buck. They have other reticles that it will be coming in also. The R-Grid is a great reticle if you spot for yourself.

As I recall there will be an MOA/MOA version with a real nice 1 moa reticle.
http://primaryarmsoptics.com/product/3-18x50mm-first-focal-plane-scope-w-hera-bpr-moa-reticle/
3-18onDD.jpg

Last edited:
Primary Arms has their new 3-18x50mm FFP Mil/Mil scopes coming out with a lifetime warranty for $500. I have one of them ordered with the DMR reticle.

Right now it might be the best bang for your buck. They have other reticles that it will be coming in also. The R-Grid is a great reticle if you spot for yourself.

http://primaryarmsoptics.com/product/3-18x50mm-first-focal-plane-scope-w-hera-bpr-moa-reticle/
3-18onDD.jpg

That looks like an awesome little scope!! That reticle in the link, though? No thanks. That looks way too busy. Thanks for posting this though! Definitely sparked my interest. Going to check out other reticle designs.

3-18onDD.jpg

Looks like it has the potential to be a good lower budget LR performer. I have had one of their their 4-14x44 models for several years with no complaints. I would not, however, purchase a new model scope until it has been tested, I've been burned on new models costing over 3x that much. Had I waited 6-12 months and seen other's failures it would have saved me a lot of trouble and heartache.

I have a viper hs-t 6-24x50 and like it. The drawback is the 65 moa adjustment. That s-tac is interesting though. 80 moa elev adjustment for 400 bucks. If it tracks we'll and the glass is decent this sounds like a no brainer. I'm thinking of buying one to try out. Bullfrog says his tracks good. Anybody else have experience with this scope? Sounds like what the op is looking for. How about zero stop?

My vote is Vortex. I have four of them. Love them all. For the money and warranty and optical clarity I don't think you can beat them. Stay in viper class or above though.

I forgot to add that my 300 RUM has the Vortex HST and my 340 Weatherby accumark has the Vortex HS LR. Never once had issues anywhere I have been in North America hunting with either one.

I would look for something used in that price range. It will put you in the next tier without the higher price.
I would try to find a used Vortex pst, it has the glass etched reticle. I personally feel more confident with glass etched reticles when you get into large magnum rifles. There is one scope in that price range at Natchez that I like and trust, but it's only 15 max power. That's the Weaver tactical 3-15x50. Great Japanese scope.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.