Browning X-Bolt Hells Canyon Speed vs. Sauer 100 Atacama, in 6.5 PRC

Looking at purchasing a new 6.5 PRC, after a bit of research, my top contenders are a Browning Hells X-Bold Hells Canyon Speed and a Sauer 100 Atacama. Both rifles are around that 1k price point and all the reviews that I have seen show that both rifles should have no problem shooting sub-inch and really should expect to see closer to .5". The Browing is probably my top choice, but it is built off of a shorter action than the Sauer. At the store, I checked the magazine length with a 147 eldm and there was about a 1/16" to spare. Biggest question is, am I painting myself into a corner if I reload with a shorter action? Also, Browning says it has a 1:7 twist vs 1:8 in the Sauer, does a 6.5 PRC need to be any faster than 1:8? Sauer comes with a 5 shot sub-inch guarantee, Browning does not, but everything I have read that should not be an issue.

Here are the specific rifles I am looking at:

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting...fle-65-prc/p/1528870#smw_turnto_reviews_title

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting...d-cerakote-bolt-action-rifle-65-prc/p/1532055

If there is another solid option at this price point that I am overlooking I would be interested in looking at it, but I am not interested in spending 2K or more. Also, this rifle will be used primarily for mountain hunting.

i can't say much about the 6.5 prc but i have 2 brownings 300wsm, 308blr both are fantastic, this year i took a white tail buck at 700 yards with the wsm. For the price the browning is the best rifle I have ever shot. I am shooting less that 1 moa with the wsm with hand loads.

I own 2 browning x-bolts. Used the mcarbo spring on both to get the trigger pull down to around 2.5-3 lbs. both guns shoot great with hand loads. 1/4 MOA or so. 3 shot group out of the 7 mag was 2.5 inches at 600 yards. Killed a deer at 530 and another at 590 this year, one with each gun. I was able to thread the break that goes with my thunder beast break onto the barrel. Just check, I think they are standard thread. Gun is light and balanced.

Your question about the action may come into play if you try to touch the lands with long bullets. I can't touch the lands and fit in the mag with the 300 win mag but the 7mm Remington will shoot the 195 Berger's loaded to .005 off the lands and they fit in the mag.

I can't speak for the other option but I will be buying another browning x-bold for a long range hunting rifle next time I need one.

Mine both came with break and separate thread protector.

Last edited:
I own 2 browning x-bolts. Used the mcarbo spring on both to get the trigger pull down to around 2.5-3 lbs. both guns shoot great with hand loads. 1/4 MOA or so. 3 shot group out of the 7 mag was 2.5 inches. Killed a deer at 530 and another at 590 this year, one with each gun. I was able to thread the break that goes with my thunder beast break onto the barrel. Just check, I think they are standard thread. Gun is light and balanced.

Your question about the action may come into play if you try to touch the lands with long bullets. I can't touch the lands and fit in the mag with the 300 win mag but the 7mm Remington will shoot the 195 Berger's loaded to .005 off the lands and they fit in the mag.

I can't speak for the other option but I will be buying another browning x-bold for a long range hunting rifle next time I need one.

Mine both came with break and separate thread protector.

2.5" three shot group? Is that a typo?

Well I appreciate everyone's input. I ended up trying the Sauer. Better trigger, long action, 1/2 28 thread, accuracy guarantee plus 10 yr warranty including the barrel (seems crazy they would warranty something you could shoot out?) A lot I really like about the browning but I feel better about the Sauer. I'll try and update everyone on accuracy once I get a scope mounted. Side note if you buy a Sauer you get 50% off any minox optic if you purchase before the end of the year. Not sure I need it but would be hard to pass up a 2k spotter for 1k

Well I appreciate everyone's input. I ended up trying the Sauer. Better trigger, long action, 1/2 28 thread, accuracy guarantee plus 10 yr warranty including the barrel (seems crazy they would warranty something you could shoot out?)
Awesome! I'm anxious to hear how you like it. I looked at that brand rifles hard but shied away when I read about their barrel arrangement, having to rebarrel at the factory do to being pressure fitted versus rifled or something like that.

Still, they call to me for a slick mountain rifle.

Well I appreciate everyone's input. I ended up trying the Sauer. Better trigger, long action, 1/2 28 thread, accuracy guarantee plus 10 yr warranty including the barrel (seems crazy they would warranty something you could shoot out?) A lot I really like about the browning but I feel better about the Sauer. I'll try and update everyone on accuracy once I get a scope mounted. Side note if you buy a Sauer you get 50% off any minox optic if you purchase before the end of the year. Not sure I need it but would be hard to pass up a 2k spotter for 1k

Congratulations on your new rifle! I'm looking forward to reading how it shoots.

Awesome! I'm anxious to hear how you like it. I looked at that brand rifles hard but shied away when I read about their barrel arrangement, having to rebarrel at the factory do to being pressure fitted versus rifled or something like that.

Unlike the Sauer 101 which does have the heat shrunk press fitted barrel the Sauer 100 has a threaded barrel similar to most American made rifles. Here is a link to the Guns and Ammo review that explains how the barrel is fitted. This has also been confirmed by a Sauer representative that I asked at a local gun show here in New Zealand.

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editori...-refinement-affordability-and-accuracy/247599

Cool thing about the Sauer 100, threaded barrel, not compression fit like most other Sauers

If you ever decide to SELL the rifle in the future (what? who does THAT?!) then the Browning would be the easier sell. People are just not that familiar with the Sauer 100 rifles. Doesn't mean they aren't fine guns. But people tend to gravitate to, and buy, what they know and they know Browning. Win to Browning on this point.

For me personally, I like the two position tang safety of the Browning better than the 3 position to-the-right-side safety of the Sauer. Again, win goes to Browning.

The Browning action can still be opened while 'on-safe' by pushing in the 'button' at the root of the bolt handle. The Sauer is similiar in that the 'middle' position allows the action to be opened while the gun is on safe. So a TIE there.

They both LOCK the bolt down when in the 'full safe' position. That's a major plus in a hunting rifle. So, again, a TIE.

I like the LACK of a muzzle brake better on the Sauer as it is still threaded, should I want to put a suppressor on it later. Win to Sauer here. (Muzzle-brakes are loud and obnoxious and undesirable TO ME in a HUNTING rifle.)

I like the 1" for FIVE shot guarantee of the Sauer far better than the 'no guarantee' of the Browning. Win to Sauer. (There are threads on here of people who didn't feel their Browning was shooting up to standards and they contacted Browning and the answer was something to the effect that a THREE shot group of 1.5" or less was "good" in their opinion. Uh...no.)

I think it's a tough choice. I like different features of each rifle. Figure out which FEATURES are most important to you and go that route. MUST be accurate? The Sauer accuracy guarantee weighs more heavily. You WANT a muzzle-brake? The Browning already has one on it. And on it goes. Flip a coin. Whichever rifle you are hoping will 'win' (before you look at the coin) is the one to buy.
Yep, and the Browning barrel is easier replace when the time comes. The Sauer barrel not screwed in.

Recent Posts