Browning X-Bolt Hells Canyon Speed vs. Sauer 100 Atacama, in 6.5 PRC

Well thought I would give you guys an update. Got the Sauer 100 Atacama to the range, quick trip but so far very impressed. Got on paper then moved back to 200 to zero the rifle. Shot two groups, 1.2" & 1.4" or .6 & .7 moa. Sent a few over the magneto and dialed to 615 and smoked a snow patch. Not bad for under 20 rounds down the pipe. Can't wait to see what hand loads will do. I was shooting 147 eldm Hornady match factory ammo

Good to hear your report Elkaholic...I have a couple of Xbolts that shoot sub .5moa, but am considering a Sauer. Heck, I have quite a number of their pistols and they shoot great! LoL

Thanks for the info guys. Something I didn't realize before is that Browning has metric thread pattern, ugh, that kinda sucks because I was wanting to twist a suppressor onto it. Makes me lean back towards the Sauer in spite of a lot of features that I prefer on the Browning. If anyone has any firsthand experience with accuracy of either of these rifles I'd be interested to hear that.
my 6.5 prc xbolt hells canyon long range does not have metric threads. the speed version might.

sounds like you went with sauer i have no experience with those glad it is shooting well for you!!

1) Don't X-Bolts come with a thread protector?
2) X -Bolt triggers are the same as the older models. They still have the hole for the spring exchange. Somebody had a hard time doing the basic procedure and went online claiming the hole was smaller on HIS gun because he struggled with it.
It takes a little coaxing, that's all.
yep brake and thread protector. and yes the spring can be updated and makes a 3.75# trigger about 1.5# . totally worth it

my 6.5 prc xbolt hells canyon long range does not have metric threads. the speed version might.

sounds like you went with sauer i have no experience with those glad it is shooting well for you!!
Yeah some models, like the HCLR have standard 5/8x24 threads, I have a predator model with 1/2x28 threads. But the Speed versions with the sporter weight barrel do have metric threads which is fine for the included brake, but would require an adapter for a suppressor which is a little less than ideal.

The Sauer would be the better rifle out of the box and comes with a good accuracy guarantee, and a very good trigger

The only downside to the Sauer is that you'll be limited to probably the 150gr cup and core bullets and 140gr mono's.

In a hunting rifle that will never be a problem.

No accuracy guarantee on the Browning and having to replace the trigger would be no go's for me. I tried to help a guy get his new Browning HC in 300wm sighted in and even after double checking everything from the scope mounts to the scope itself the rifle never would shoot better than about 2.5" with three different kinds of factory ammo.

With enough time and money just about any of them can be made to shoot decently but I'd as soon avoid the problem and start out with a better package.

Good to hear your report Elkaholic...I have a couple of Xbolts that shoot sub .5moa, but am considering a Sauer. Heck, I have quite a number of their pistols and they shoot great! LoL
My brother and I each have one now. Both shoot 156 Bergers well with RL-26. 5-shot groups sub 3/4 easy a lot right around .5". Excellent trigger, for $800 can't beat it with a stick.

I have 2 6.5 PRC's 1 XBolt Pro Longe range and a Hell's Canyon out of the Box .6 with 143 eldx with hand loads .5 or less if I do my part
X Bolt Pro 1st time out at 418 yds nice big 5X5 whitetail DRT
Wife with the Hells canyon 312 yds little 4x4 again DRT
Neither gun had more than 25 rds down the pipe when we each deer was shot.
I have 1 Sauer its a fine gun but I would sell it before either of the X Bolt's

Recent Posts